JOHN RITTER'S FUCKING DEAD

Started by snaporaz, September 12, 2003, 04:26:36 AM

snaporaz

Ritter would have turned 55 next week.

(CNN) -- Actor and comedian John Ritter has died unexpectedly after he was rushed to the hospital for a "dissection of the aorta," his publicist Lisa Kasteler told CNN.

The son of a legendary country singing musician/actor (Tex) and his wife (Dorothy), Jonathan Southworth Ritter was born in Burbank, Cal., on September 17, 1948. His older brother, Tom, became a lawyer, but John was destined to follow in his father's footsteps. In 1977, he and his brother emceed the Annual United Cerebral Palsy Telethon (a neurological condition particularly close to their hearts because of Tom's triumph over it) and racked up millions of dollars for the cause. John was enrolled at Hollywood High School, where he was a student body president, and later attended the University of Southern California, where he majored in Psychology and minored in Architecture. After a couple of years, he was induced to join an acting class taught by Nina Foch. He changed his major to Theater Arts, graduating in 1971 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Drama. In addition to Nina Foch, he also studied acting with Stella Adler at the Harvey Lembeck Comedy Workshop. Between 1968 and 1969, he appeared in a series of stage plays in England, Scotland, Holland and in Germany. His father was entertaining troops in Germany at the same time that his son was performing at an air base there. Unfortunately, John's father passed away in 1973, before his son achieved the celebrity status that arrived with his second series, Three's Company (1977).

In March 2001 viewers watching reruns of the series on Nick at Nite reported that in one episode John Ritter's genitals could be briefly seen slipping out of his blue boxers when his character throws himself on bed. Nickelodeon confirmed this goof and announced that the scene would be edited out of all future airings of the unnamed episode.

MacGuffin

:yabbse-cry:  :yabbse-cry:  :yabbse-cry:

So shockingly sad. I grew up watching "Three's Company," but was really glad that Ritter grew as a actor and did memorable roles in "It" and "Sling Blade". It'll be sad a moment when seeing him in "Bad Santa" now. R.I.P.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

the latest thing i'm forced to remember him by is a conan interview he did where he talked about a testicle of his that was shown briefly during an episode of three's company and how the execs sent him a tape of it or something. weird interview but funny. poor john. i hope you're telling fucked up jokes like that where ever you are right now.

SoNowThen

I liked John Ritter. A lot. Three's Company was one of my fav shows when I was a kid. This new one of his, while not being great, was at least gonna do well for him. This is a fucking sad day.

RIP John.

As a note, at least he got to be in a Scorsese movie.... in one of the clips DeNiro watches in the theatre in Cape Fear.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

yeah i used to watch threes company re-runs all the time.  i saw that conan too.  isnt his show 8 simple rules like a big hit?  what are they gonna do?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ProgWRX

im so sad right now :(

three's company was a staple of my childhood... and the problem child flicks were good in a "theyre-so-bad-theyre-good" way...  :oops:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
-Carlos

neatahwanta

Quote from: Cinephilethe latest thing i'm forced to remember him by is a conan interview he did where he talked about a testicle of his that was shown briefly during an episode of three's company and how the execs sent him a tape of it or something. weird interview but funny. poor john. i hope you're telling fucked up jokes like that where ever you are right now.

Yeah, I saw that too...it was hilarious.

Apparently someone was taping all the shows, and decided to go through one scene frame by frame. In the scene, Jack is wearing boxers, and he has to do a little jump towards the camera before doing one of his pratfalls.

Well, during a few of the frames, one of John's family jewels makes a brief appearence. The man then called Nick', and they decide to edit those frames out of the next showings of the episode.

John's publicist was asked to have John comment on the whole thing, and in John's letter to the press, he came up with a compromise.

John wrote, approximately, "I think that Nick @ Night should show the unedited version some nights, and the edited version other nights, because...'hey, sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't'."

RIP John

Derek237

I can't believe he's dead. I just can't. No words to desribe how I feel about this.

Vile5

i can't believe it!
i feel so sad now :cry:  :cry:  
my grandmother was her fan, she'd feel so sad if i tell her
my mother used to be her fan too
oh god, i feel so sad  :(
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Pubrick

Quote from: Vile5i can't believe it!
i feel so sad now :cry:  :cry:  
my grandmother was her fan, she'd feel so sad if i tell her
my mother used to be her fan too
oh god, i feel so sad  :(
:shock:
under the paving stones.

Find Your Magali

Roger Ebert in his review of Sling Blade:

"One of the many pleasures of the movie is John Ritter's performance as Vaughan; the character has a complexity and sensitivity that seem to have come right out of his small-town time and place."

Ritter could act, which is something that some sitcom stars just never get props for.

Too bad there weren't more little gems like his role in Sling Blade that we could enjoy.

R.I.P, John, and watch out for that couch in the great beyond...

meatwad

i also rather enjoyed his performance in Tadpole

BrainSushi

John Ritter dying kinda scares me, considering he's only two years older than my dad o.O

Duck Sauce

This is shocking, when i was younger i watched threes company, and never really thought he was talented but i liked him because he seemed like a nice guy..... its sad when somebody so young dies, im not so sad about Cash because I expected it, and this morning i wasnt surprised at all, it seems kind of cool of him in a way, like he died of a broken heart. So i expected him to die soon, for JR i just expected his career to die soon..

I wonder how they will deal with this on 8 Simple Rules as a way of ending the series, kind of like on News Radio when PH died, but I guess this is the end for 8SR because its not an ensemble like News Radio, JR was the star, which was probably proportional to how much it sucked, but nonetheless this is really sad and I liked John Ritter a lot....

I guess this kind of kills my hopes for a Problem Child prequel....

btw, did you know somebody actually directed Problem Child!?

Duck Sauce

Quote from: BrainSushiJohn Ritter dying kinda scares me, considering he's only two years older than my dad o.O

Yeah my dad too, and my grandpa died of a heart condition just like Ritter's. Sad sad day...