Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Drenk

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
I don't have a twitter. Can someone check what 3 accounts @phantom_thread is following now? It was following 0 yesterday.

The usual. Universal. Annapurna. Focus Features.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Quote from: Fernando on October 23, 2017, 10:49:06 AM
I love the trailer although it showed too much for my taste, I kind of expected a trailer in the fashion of EWS.

Anyway, my anticipation for this movie has skyrocketed.

That poster is so bland tbh.

Quote from: wilberfan on October 23, 2017, 10:04:18 AM
Thought this was an interesting reaction. 

https://twitter.com/luv_2read/status/922476086344105985

I hear her but that is the reality of that world.

Poster doesn't feel bland to me.  I got kind of a "classy" vibe off of it.  And, yes, the reality of THE world is that older men are often attracted to younger women (and vice-versa).

Scrooby

Alexander McQueen sewed secret obscene scribblings (phrases and pictures) into the linings of garments he worked on during his time as an apprentice at Anderson & Sheppard back in the late 1980s. (See Andrew Wilson's biography, p. 50.)

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 11:04:36 AM
By the way, this does look very much like a Mike Leigh film. The rumor about PTA doing Mike Leigh may be correct.

I wondered that, but I'm not going there. A period piece featuring a small technical crew is generally going to look a certain way. Mike Leigh and Ken Loach have made a career of doing those kind of films. They flooded the market for standards when it come to independent British filmmaking.

Drenk

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on October 23, 2017, 11:08:30 AM
Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 11:04:36 AM
By the way, this does look very much like a Mike Leigh film. The rumor about PTA doing Mike Leigh may be correct.

I wondered that, but I'm not going there. A period piece featuring a small technical crew is generally going to look a certain way. Mike Leigh and Ken Loach have made a career of doing those kind of films. They flooded the market for standards when it come to independent British filmmaking.

Yes. I have seen the first two frames of the trailer and it looked like a PTA movie to me. In England.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Drenk

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 11:16:56 AM
Quote from: Drenk on October 23, 2017, 11:13:53 AM
Yes. I have seen the first two frames of the trailer and it looked like a PTA movie to me. In England.

LMAO just watch the trailer dude. It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

No? And I saw them because it begins automatically on Twitter. I don't like to let my mind beginning to fill the holes with a trailer especially for a Paul Thomas Anderson movie—these rare gems. I imagined a whole part about Freddy's time in the war for The Master because of the trailers and teasers and was disappointed in a totally irrational way. I don't care about the plot.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 11:21:02 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on October 23, 2017, 11:18:15 AM
Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 11:16:56 AM
It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

Or does it?   :ponder:

Deceptive trailer for sure. Just to lure the mainstream audiences. Remember the Inherent Vice trailer?
Kinda has a Downton Abbey feel to it LOL.

Yes.  "Downton Abbey".  "The Crown".  Should definitely get the over-50 crowd into the theaters...or at least get their attention.

wilberfan

"You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat.  When I was a boy, I started to hide things in the linings of the garments.  Things that only I knew were there.  Secrets."

Try this experiment:  Rewatch the trailer, holding the idea that Woodcock is a homosexual in 1950's London...  Every scene could be viewed as consistent with that.   

Or a total misdirect.

Robyn

i thought it would look a lot more "out there" considering inherent vice and the master, but i'm not getting that vibe from the trailer at all. maybe this is more low-key then I originally thought. there's some good moments, but nothing got me as exiting as the first the master teaser or twbb trailer.

also, hello oscars?

WorldForgot

Maybe this illuminates that I am an incurable (delusional?) romantic, but this is looking to be my second favorite PTA concept yet. Inherent Vice did it for me, in a way I didn't know cinema could, the heart pangs and elusive memories. This is another beast. Closer to PDL's howl.

Maybe if There Will Be Blood and The Master were a couplet, this will match IV's romantic-haze in stark cuts and fine lines of lovers at odds.

Very excited for this Christmas.

Drenk

It's not news that some people have seen it. I wouldn't care about what henry123 has to say, though.
Ascension.

csage97

It's different than what I'd envisioned in my mind's eye, but that was to be expected. A lot more white light than I thought there'd be. But I'm pleasantly surprised. It's unmistakably PTA-looking. It retains a lot of what The Master and Inherent Vice looked like but has less Robert Elswit and more recent music video PTA (obviously and understandably).

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 04:03:28 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/henryturlingto1/status/922521145668263936

Thoughts on this thread? DDL is not the lead and the movie is "garbage"?

What Drenk said. I don't know if Twitter opinions are useful unless it's a first-hand account. This thread could get a bit cluttered with rumors and such if we obsess about that sort of thing.

Also, it looks like henry123 is an anti-Jewish crusader. (On Twitter of all places. Shocking.)

jviness02

I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.