IS this idea even worth pursuing?

Started by Outpatient_Cowboy, March 31, 2004, 04:33:46 PM

Outpatient_Cowboy

So here's the dilemma-
I've been working on the concept of this idea for a while, have developed the characters pretty significantly and have a good feel for where the story will go, i.e. it's not a matter of figuring out or creating the story. I'm more interested in whether this idea is worth writing in the first place or whether it is way too cliche, so without much ado here it is:

The audience is led through a puzzle of events all guided by the lead character Bill. Bill has been cheating on his family with another family for years, it is not for a while that the audience figures out which family is Bill's original family. Essentially Bill left the first family because he felt a lack of fulfillment in his marriage, there was a certain aspect of feeling misunderstood as if his wife didnt appreciate him. He started another family and still maintains ties with the first, his job requires him to leave for 15 days of the month and so he visits one family during the first 15 days and the second family during the rest and so forth. Though he manages to keep criss crossing between both families he still has that feeling of unfulfillment and neglect.

One night Bill sits down to watch the news with his second family, its a typical night with them and nothing appears wrong. On the news Bill sees a news flash about a horrendous car wreck, which coincidentally, involves all the members of his first family. It is in that moment that Bill realizes who he loves and the reason for his feeling of neglect, he realizes that it is only within himself and as such is only something he can deal with.

I know it's kind of a chunky story.
Do you guys think I should go through with it?
"...like nailing Jello to a tree"

Weak2ndAct

There's an idea here worth exploring (I've always been fascinated how truckers and other travelling types have been caught juggling multiple families in different parts of the country), but, there are some inherent problems:
1) It's hard to sympathize with Bill at all-- it's a despicable thing to do.  If he is your protagonist, how can you make this work and have the audience care?
2) The car crash on the news is a bit too easy and shoehorned... there's a better way to get the family out and expose that secret.
But still, there's a nugget there, and it's still worth exploring.  Good luck.

PS: All that being said, you should be wary of posting ideas on a public message board.  A good idea is gold and can be easily stolen.  Be careful.

Outpatient_Cowboy

Thanks a lot Weak2ndAct- you definitely seem to know what you are talking about in all of your posts- did you go to school? or is it just a natural thing?
Yeah I was a bit worried about the whole posting thing- ehhem the original script is copyrighted and guild registered, just for everyone's information, I'm actually finishing a second draft.
Yes, I will definitely keep working the reveal- the news idea is one of those easy ways out, not as good as the more calculated reveal. Again, thanks.

Kal

I voted for "maybe with some more work"...

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: Outpatient_Cowboydid you go to school? or is it just a natural thing?
Yeah, I went to film school, but it was only moderately helpful for writing (too focused on shorts and not on features).  I really learned a lot by trying-and-failing, and reading every script I could get my hands on (3-4 a day at my peak).  

Plus, I subscribe to the Neil LaBute philosophy that screenwriting is the 'new math.'  Once you wrap your head around that concept, things become a lot more clear.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
But still, there's a nugget there, and it's still worth exploring.  Good luck.

I agree. I also think it's a very good idea and you should definatelly work on the ending. As for Bill beeing a character hard to sympathise with, that might be true, but I'd still take that chance. I really think this is a very good idea and I'd love to see where you'll get with it.
Si

Outpatient_Cowboy

Well thanks a lot there sexual panda.... I think I will keep the script alive after all and get into this revision. Dont you guys ever get tired of the prostitution act that it takes to get funding and interest? I wish I could write a stroy that was so good it would make itself.

molly

Quote from: Outpatient_CowboyI wish I could write a stroy that was so good it would make itself.

in that case, the story would be written by itself, not by you