Hot Fuzz

Started by modage, March 08, 2005, 12:52:12 PM

w/o horse

The parody film, with its attachment to contemporary expectations, has roughly the shelf life of a political film.  I think the most important question must be its contribution to the formula it represents, and as it is, for all the ejoyment I received from Hot Fuzz, it didn't stimulate me creatively or intellectually (why shouldn't it be able to?).  It drew from a pool of resources already prevalent in mainstream cinema.  A great send up of the superficial buddy cop films, but entirely superficial itself.  Some references are obvious, some simply feel used.  Was the opening montage specifically invoking Andersonesque satire, was the large model-city battle in any way influenced by the Arrested Development jetpack episode?  I don't know for sure.  Probably yes the former and no for the latter.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

grand theft sparrow

That was entirely too much analysis for a movie like this and the only things that were relevant were:

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on April 24, 2007, 08:08:10 PMA great send up of the superficial buddy cop films

and

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on April 24, 2007, 08:08:10 PM
for all the ejoyment I received from Hot Fuzz, it didn't stimulate me creatively or intellectually (why shouldn't it be able to?).

It's clearly not trying to pass itself off as a satire, nor was it trying to make any kind of statement on the supercop action movie.  It's just a movie.  And an enjoyable one at that, by even your own admittance.  I'm not saying that your insight isn't relevant in general but what is the purpose of everything else you wrote, especially the last three sentences?  I just don't understand why there's such a need to cull depth from something that's superficial by design.

Unless you were doing a Pegg & Wright-style not-quite-parody of a xixax review, in which case, good one.

john

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on April 24, 2007, 08:08:10 PM
The parody film, with its attachment to contemporary expectations, has roughly the shelf life of a political film.  I think the most important question must be its contribution to the formula it represents, and as it is, for all the ejoyment I received from Hot Fuzz, it didn't stimulate me creatively or intellectually (why shouldn't it be able to?). 

The shelf life of any good film, regardless of genre, is timeless. I suppose by "political film", you allude to something like The War Room, or Fahrenheit 9/11, documentaries insistent to the current event they capture. Urgent for the moment, then politically dated. I still don't believe that renders them useless or archaic, though.

Though something like Battle of Algiers, which is a decidedly political movie, is timeless.

I'm not compairing Hot Fuzz to Battle of Algiers (though, it would be pretty cool if I did), but what Hot Fuzz successfully does will keep it from being rendered useless in ten, or twenty years time. It spoofs conventions, and while there  references-a-plenty, it wasn't the references that made it a winner to me.

It was the chemistry between Pegg and Wright, the giddy tonal shifts, and the sincerity behinf the humor that one me over. Those things are timeless.

And, not stimulating you creatively or intellectually, fair enough. I had the same response watching Dreamgirls. But, creatively, anything with this much affection and love behind and in front of the camera, gets me going.

Intellectually, I don't need to be stimulated by this film. The same way I don't get anything intellectually from watching NBC's The Office, or Point Break - and I dig both of those.

It's much more of a shame when something that pretends to want arise an intellectual discussion fails at it - like Notes on a Scandal, maudlin, sweetly-flavored trash disguised as something more meaningful. Here, there's no disguise, no pretense of intellect, just a real good time.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

w/o horse

The responses to the more human dynamics of the film, especially the relationship between the two leads, didn't register in the same way for me.  I saw a film with a well executed bag of conventially sensational emotional trappings that catered to the viewer's desire to connect with the characters, and a film with a sense of humor that could not be seperated from its place in time.  It seems to me that the people who find these characters engaging also probably feel that Raimi has bottled Peter Parker's true energy.

I can completely understand saying that there was a contagious amount of affection in Hot Fuzz.  And the "Just a movie" trick is always a nice one to have.  I won't argue with either.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

EDGAR WRIGHT INSISTS ON TALKING THROUGH HOT FUZZ
Source: CHUD

I am so jealous of the British Chewers. Not only do your accents give you an unfair advantage with my local women, but now you're getting a SECOND Hot Fuzztival... and this time not only are you going to see three great movies for free, but you're going to see Hot Fuzz with a LIVE COMMENTARY by Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and special guests from the film.

Here's a message from Edgar:

"Hey muddy funsters. Join me at the Prince Charles Cinema on June the 10th for a marathon of hot cop action. Not only will we screen three of our favourite actions films, but you will get to see a totally unique live commentary from myself, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, as well as other special guests from our Bad Bobby opus HOT FUZZ.

And who can argue with the triple whammy of John Woo's classic HARD BOILED, the bruising, hilarious LAST BOY SCOUT and the palpable homo erotic tension of POINT BREAK.

I will be your host for the day, will join you in watching the marathon of bad-assery and will be flinging a few goodies and surprises your way.

Come join. First come, first served. And totally free.

Get there early. The hardcore will be duly rewarded.

Edgar"

So here's the line-up:

11:00 Hard Boiled
13:45 Last Boy Scout
16:30 Point Break

20:00 Hot Fuzz with LIVE AUDIO COMMENTARY FROM EDGAR WRIGHT AND CAST FROM THE FILM!

That's June 10th at the Prince Charles Cinema... and if you can't make it, Hot Fuzz is hitting UK DVD on June 11th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/hot-fuzz3.html

Title: Hot Fuzz (IMDb)
Starring: Simon Pegg
Released: 31st July 2007
SRP: $29.98

Further Details:

Universal Home Video has sent over early details on Hot Fuzz which stars Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost. This new Edgar Wright directed film will be available to own from the 31st July, and should retail at around $29.98. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX Surround track. Extras on this single-disc (not two-discs like the UK release) will include an audio commentary, deleted scenes, outtakes, an exclusive Fuzzball Rally feature, a Man Who Would Be Fuzz feature, a Hot Funk feature, and more. A HD-DVD/DVD Combo release will also be available for $39.98.

pete

it was okay, like shaun of the dead, bubba ho-tep, or even Adaptation, it never delivered.  I don't like movies that spend all this time being clever and self-referencial, promising some kinda postmodernist ironic fun, but in the end it's filled with boring subpar thrills.  say what you will about tarantino, but he actually delivers.  his action scenes are actually thrilling, and his scary scenes are actually scary.  these movies just lack the balls to go all out, despite great filmmaking.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

Jesus, does this movie have to live or die by its connection to action films? It was really funny.
WWPTAD?

samsong

the Straw Dogs/Point Break stuff made me giddy.  it takes a really strange and satisfying turn towards the end with all that cult shit but i guess that's what needed to happen in order for the film to elevate itself above the haze of clever brit comedy that i feel Shaun of the Dead lingers in.  violence towards/against old people is always great entertainment.  a gratifying, forgettable watch. 

Ravi

The aspect ratio should be 2.35:1, not 1.85:1.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/hot-fuzz5.html

Title: Hot Fuzz
Starring: Simon Pegg
Released: 27th November 2007
SRP: $34.98

Further Details:
Universal has announced a brand new 3-Disc Collector's Edition of Hot Fuzz which stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. The set will be available to own from the 27th November, and should retail at around $34.98 or thereabouts. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 EX tracks. The artwork hasn't been revealed for this one yet, but we'll bring you that very shortly. For now though, here's the full rundown on each of the discs:

Disc One
• Commentary with Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright
• Commentary with Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Jim Broadbent, Rafe Spall, Kevin Eldon & Olivia Colman
• Commentary with Kenneth Cranham, Timothy Dalton, Paul Freeman & Edward Woodward
• Commentary with The Real Fuzz - Any Leafe & Nick Eckland
• Commentary with Edgar Wright & Guest
• Outtakes
• Storyboards
• Fuzz-O-Meter (Trivia Track)
• Inadmissible: Deleted Scenes
• Fuzz-O-Meter
• Danny's Notebook
• Hot Funk
• Theatrical Trailer
• UK TV Spot 1
• UK TV Spot 2
• Director's Cut Trailer

Disc Two
• We Made Hot Fuzz
• Art Department
• Friends & Family
• Cranks, Cranes & Controlled Chaos
• Here Come the Fuzz
• Return to Sandford
• Edgar & Simon's Flip Chart
• Simon Muggs
• Sergeant Fisher's Perfect Sunday
• Plot Holes
• Special Effects: Before & After
• Video Blogs
• Poster Gallery
• Photo Gallery
• AM Blam: Making 'Dead Right'
• Dead Right (1993)
• Edgar Wright Director's Commentary on Dead Right
• Simon Pegg and Nick Frost Commentary on Dead Right

Disc Three
• The Extended Fuzzball Rally
• Video Blogs

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

They are going the wonderful routine route that most action films go into when they hit DVD. They are double dipping.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

which would've been slightly more excusable if they had

a. announced this a little sooner.  like before the original release came out.  or
b. announced this a lot later.  like a few years after it has been a dvd hit, like they had to prepare all these extra extras. 

but this is sort of the worst way to screw people.  thankfully, i actually didn't buy the original release.  so i lucked out for once.  but i wouldn't be surprised if Rick Sands is behind this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: modage on September 03, 2007, 12:02:12 PM
those bastards.

Indeed.  Universal is a notorious double-dipping studio.  The 2-disc UK edition has all this stuff, except, I assume, the 3rd disc.  What makes it even worse is that the R1 HD-DVD includes the content from the R2 DVD.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection