not the most popular thread anymore, donnie darko and homos.

Started by SubstanceD, February 18, 2003, 07:02:07 PM

life_boy

Quote from: bonanzataz...bad movies make me smile.

Bad songs make me smile.

"Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science technology
Where can you begin to
Make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea
Where can you learn to fly
Play in sports or skin dive
study oceanogrpahy
Or sit in the grand stand
When your team and others meet?"

children with angels

I'm probably going to get several cyberspace slaps for this, but I think Requiem for a dream is seriously overrated... I'm with Snaporaz on the editing style: really exciting and visceral the first time you watch it, but just screaming for attention, and kind of repetitive; but most of all, I just think the film is so blatant in its message as to almost negate the watching of it. It feels a little like a high school student-devised drama piece with carefully crafted, but empty, Social Conscience. I don't know. I just guess I preffer my social commentry with a bit more subtlety and ambiguity...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i so agree that Requiem for a dream is seriously overrated, the guy is so a fucking student , and not a original voice .

the only things in the film that i thought rang true were the old ladies talking to each other, i think he knows more about that world then he does about the drug world . the drug shit didn't feel right.

And the funky camera work , fucking amateur hour

©brad

Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesi so agree that Requiem for a dream is seriously overrated, the guy is so a fucking student , and not a original voice .

the only things in the film that i thought rang true were the old ladies talking to each other, i think he knows more about that world then he does about the drug world . the drug shit didn't feel right.

And the funky camera work , fucking amateur hour

I'd start running if I were you.

snaporaz

Quote from: Butterscotch JonesAnd the funky camera work , fucking amateur hour

hardly. the camera work was overwrought and distracting from the story, but to say the camerawork itself was bad or amateur...that's just fucking stupid.

budgie

Well now, well now...

Requiem is repetitive. Also hollow and quite repulsively voyeuristic so as to undermine its so-called 'message'. Let's look at beautiful people slaving to the evils of consumption. Blah. And those s'posedly original surreal bits seemed so second hand. But thank you for reminding me that this is the movie I wished had been directed by David Lynch, who'd have got it by the throat instead of pussyfooting like a slavering but nervous poodle around its perimeter. I've being trying to remember that for ages.

As for Donnie Darko... who gives a fuck about the plot/meaning? I don't think it's the best movie ever but it was striking, and where I loved it was in the way it conveyed the viewpoint of adolescence, instead of the viewpoint of an adult making a movie about his teemage years. That's where the pop video visuals, the cheesy-earnest soundtrack, the sometimes lame dialogue and the messed up, black and white passion of the thing mixed up with the intelligence, philosophical and emotional complexity to make a little bit of gorgeousness, all figured most aptly in the entity that is mmm Jake Gyllenhaal.

In short, I'm with Mr. Xixax on this one. And Echo and the Bunnymen had me from the start (aahhh, another Mac close to my teenage dreams).

Duck Sauce

Quote from: budgieI wished had been directed by David Lynch, who'd have got it by the throat instead of pussyfooting like a slavering but nervous poodle around its perimeter.

What do you mean by this?

Quote from: snaporaz
Quote from: Butterscotch JonesAnd the funky camera work , fucking amateur hour

hardly. the camera work was overwrought and distracting from the story, but to say the camerawork itself was bad or amateur...that's just fucking stupid.

what i mean by amateur hour is, it reeks of film school show boating

it takes away from the film, and well it does not impress me

I am all for creative editing and shots, but it should never get in the way of the story.

his work reminds me of film school shorts and well ::Yawns::

get over it, the film is gay

©brad

a dude with the screen name 'Butterscotch Jones' thinks Requiem for a dream is gay?

if only you were half as charming as your name makes you out to be.

Quote from: cbrad4da dude with the screen name 'Butterscotch Jones' thinks Requiem for a dream is gay?

if only you were half as charming as your name makes you out to be.

ohh i'm very charming look  :-D

My work alone bringing back tapdancing makes me quite the schmozzer

and well i see through this film, and well :: Yawns:: lets just say that its not my thing man.

©brad

i must admit i kind of dig your screen name. as for requiem, err- not everyone's cup of tea?- sure okay, but it's definitely not amatuer hour.

Quote from: cbrad4di must admit i kind of dig your screen name. as for requiem, err- not everyone's cup of tea?- sure okay, but it's definitely not amatuer hour.

im sorry if i came across as a prick, i didnt mean too. Sometimes when you post, things come out in ways that they dont mean to.

i see what you mean about it being not everyones cup of tea. To this day i can not get many people to go with me on the cinamatic work of kenny rogers , the man was in the zone I tell you. God i love " six pack"

my quote about amatuer hour, cant be explained in a short sound bite. Its long and drawn out, so i will skip it .

Thanks for the props on the name , my folks were on acid when they came up with it , nutty

jmj

Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesget over it, the film is gay

In terms of Requiem...it's different strokes different folks.  However I cannot approve referring to something as "gay" as derogatory.  Too long has this middle school slang gone unchecked.  I'm here to let you know, BJ, that just because you hate yourself for being homosexual it doesn't mean you can refer to other things you hate as "gay."  Unless of course you are an uber-goth, self loather and hate things that are "happy."  Then it is completely understandable.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

Quote from: jmj
Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesget over it, the film is gay

In terms of Requiem...it's different strokes different folks.  However I cannot approve referring to something as "gay" as derogatory.  Too long has this middle school slang gone unchecked.  I'm here to let you know, BJ, that just because you hate yourself for being homosexual it doesn't mean you can refer to other things you hate as "gay."  Unless of course you are an uber-goth, self loather and hate things that are "happy."  Then it is completely understandable.

uh huh ok, well good luck with all that  :roll:

sphinx

Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesuh huh ok, well good luck with all that  :roll:

i'm not even going to bother justifying why you shouldn't use 'gay' in that sense.  even though these boards have quite a high tolerance for a lot of other things, racial/discriminating slang is something we choose not to tolerate.

cheers