The Office

Started by Redlum, September 19, 2003, 11:46:50 AM

cine

I didn't think I was gonna do it, but the show fuckin' nabbed me when Dawn re-enters and kisses Tim. Unbelievable.

And yeah, telling Finch to fuck off was great. I haven't not laughed once at David's final line of the show when he misses the photograph. That's still received a genuine loud laugh from me every time.

I loved how this was a more internally frustrated David Brent in that he now goes to the lengths to almost say "For fuck's sake." This exchange is particularly hilarious:

"Your name is David too?"
"Aw, for fu-- yes!"

Sleuth

Oh, you stopped putting spoiler warnings.  Ricky Gervais was on Letterman last night and I missed it.
I like to hug dogs

cine

Fuck, I missed it too.  :cry:

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

cine

Come say that to my face.

modage

Quote from: SleuthRicky Gervais was on Letterman last night and I missed it.
yeah i saw him and he was hilarious, although i've never seen The Office. although i think thats the show i will watch next after i get through Arrested Development Season One.  he got more time than Jude Law and letterman called the office "possibly the best show ever?" and gervais said 'what do you mean possibly?'  but it was funny when he said it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Fuck, even you saw it.

Sleuth

I WILL KILL YOU CINEPHILE
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Quote from: SleuthI WILL KILL YOU CINEPHILE

Oh Sleuth, you're so cuddly
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

i saw the letterman thing. he was great. jude law on the other hand, i want to apologise to on behalf of letterman.. possibly the most distracted lettermang has ever been, he kept asking questions jude had just answered.

gervais was funny tho, but he didn't say anything different to what he said the last time he was on.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: clerkguy23the office is my favorite show at the moment. its so great. anyone know some good quotes? so far my favorite moment was when they have the training seminar and david brent is acting out a scene with the instructor and he inturrupts the instuctors character by saying, "I think there's been a rape!"... its not too funny written down, but the scene is fucking halarious.
Quote from: ranemaka13Here I was thinking that Arrested Developement was our The Office.  :?
Quote from: SHAFTRI finally saw season 1. It took me a couple of the episodes for me to get into it, but once I did it was great. I imagine they have great replay value.
i watched the first 4 episodes of this tonight and i'll admit at first i was not entirely blown away.  but by episode 4 i was just loving it.  the rape outburst in particular was a turning point for me.  after that i was laughing through the whole thing.  i also imagine that re-watching the episodes will bring out tons of character stuff you miss the first time around since its character based humor rather than 'punchline' sitcom blah.  arrested development owes a great debt to this in its wacky characters and documentary style shooing although they both owe everything to spinal tap.  so, i'm excited to watch more as i am the last person on the planet to find this show.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

i finished series 2 tonight, so theres only the special for me now.  it was quite different and.... painful.  like, if it were a film, series 1 would be like act one: introducing all the characters, nothing too heavy, laughs and embarrassing good times for all.  series two however, is much heavier and full of just cringeworthy painful moments as the plot thickens and we hit the lowest point.  as it gets more serious with the tim/dawn relationship and especially davids adjustment to having a boss.  it was probably just as funny as season one, if not funnier, but this time there are strings attached.  

SPOILERS SOME...

the last episodes final moments were absolutely brilliant.  when tim gets up and takes off the mike to go talk to dawn and the whole scene plays out in silence..... and i'll tell you, from visiting this thread before i watched the show i couldnt really imagine how you got from the early wackiness to cinephiles saying he cried when he watched the special.  BUT now i get it.  when david starts begging for his job, i felt so incredibly bad for him i wanted to cry too.  which is just so fantastic when you can take a comedy show with a character who is just as unbearable as brent is most of the time and still manage to care about him that much is a pretty amazing feat.  so, series two was really heavy and really depressed me.  you could feel it was going bad for most of the way but by the last episode, it hurts.  cant wait to see the special, hopefully act three will leave a resolution that is more hopeful than act 2.

Sleuth

do yourself a favour and skip c*nephiles posts here

they ruined it

:evil: bad
I like to hug dogs

cine

Quote from: Sleuthdo yourself a favour and skip c*nephiles posts here

they ruined it

:evil: bad
Haha, this is true. Mod, ignore my posts. Seriously.

rustinglass

I saw Spartacus recently, and peter ustinov's character reminded me of david brent a lot.
When Batiatus points a short gladiator out to the rich women and they say "on no!" and he says "well it's a pity, you know he's much taller in person.. this is just.. an.... optical............NOW THIS ONE!......" it was exactly how david would speak.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica