The Last Samurai

Started by MacGuffin, May 12, 2003, 11:13:16 AM

MacGuffin

"The Last Samurai" tells the story of Capt. Nathan Algren (Cruise), an American military officer hired by the Emperor of Japan to train the country's first army in the art of modern warfare. As the government attempts to eradicate the ancient Samurai warrior class in preparation for more Westernized and trade-friendly policies, Algren finds himself unexpectedly affected by his encounters with the Samurai, which places him at the center of a struggle between two eras and two worlds, with only his own sense of honor to guide him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

thats a fucking awesome poster -- i am pumped for this...
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

pants are getting creamed!!

©brad

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenWho's directing?

Ed Zwick (Glory, Courage Under Fire, Legends Of The Fall, The Siege)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

You can watch the teaser here:

http://www.joblo.com/movietrailers2L.htm

....not that cool though  :(

dufresne

yeah, TC is looking kind of awkward in that role.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Gold Trumpet

I'm excited for this movie too, but that poster is pitiful. Its a poster trying to seem raw like Seven Samuari but comes across as dorky with the computerish look. A few months ago, I saw a novel called The Last Samurai and picked it up thinking it may be for this movie. I found out it isn't at all. I still plan to read it this summer.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

Quote from: dufresneyeah, TC is looking kind of awkward in that role.

TC is looking pretty awkward in all of his roles lateley to me.

i/o

I don't know how you guys feel, but I find Cruise to be quite likeable on screen. Even when he's being an asshole.
"Mime is money"

life_boy

I thought it was called Crouching Mission, Hidden Impossible.

Ghostboy

I like Tom Cruise a whole lot most of the time, but I'm not a big fan of Ed Zwick. The trailer was okay....but coming right after the Kill Bill trailer, its samurai sword action seemed a bit quaint.

MacGuffin

When I read the story outline, it sounded like "Dances With Wolves" to me.

Anyway, trailer here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Saw the trailer before Matrix and it wasn't very good. I am still extremely excited for this movie because of the word of mouth on it.

~rougerum