The Last Samurai

Started by MacGuffin, May 12, 2003, 11:13:16 AM

Duck Sauce

I saw the trailer on access hollywood, and i can tell you now i dont care about this film. Ive seen enough Kurosawa to know a good samurai movie when i see one.  :wink:

Banky

This is TC's first film post braces.

bonanzataz

he got braces? i knew not of that one.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Duck SauceIve seen enough Kurosawa to know a good samurai movie when i see one.  :wink:

Me too, but I'm still excited about this movie none-the-less. Looks interesting at least, which is more than I can say for most movies coming out these days =/.

Cruise needs to work on his war face. Looks to be relieving himself.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Never-Before-Seen Footage From The Last Samurai
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures

Warner Bros. Pictures has provided ComingSoon! with a first look at never-before-seen footage from Tom Cruise's The Last Samurai. You can view the 2 1/2 minute clip in QuickTime below.

After examining the ravages of 19th century America in his Academy Award-winning Civil War drama Glory, director Edward Zwick explores the birth of modern Japan in this sweeping epic set in Japan during the 1870s. Tom Cruise stars as Capt. Nathan Algren, a respected American military officer hired by the Emperor of Japan to train the country's first army in the art of modern warfare. As the Emperor attempts to eradicate the ancient Imperial Samurai warriors in preparation for more Westernized and trade-friendly government policies, Algren finds himself unexpectedly impressed and influenced by his encounters with the Samurai, which places him at the center of a struggle between two eras and two worlds, with only his own sense of honor to guide him.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

great concept, i'm gonna like it.
under the paving stones.

markums2k

Saw the trailer before Matrix: Reloaded (opening night... mmmmm).  It came off like they were trying to pass Cruise as an actual last Samurai.  You know?  One of the guys in the theater was like, "Why does it always have to be a white guy??"

So he's playing an American, eh?  That makes more sense.

I'm half-interested, and half-too-entirely-obsessed-with-Rings-and-Matrix-and-Kill-Bill-to-care.

Raikus

I'll see it... or I won't.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

budgie

I thought it looked like a pud, but Tom's face is getting more beautiful and characterful with age, so I will be seeing that.

modage

HOLY SHIT!!! tom cruise really immersed himself in this samurai role, he's a sure bet for the oscar!!!  at first i hardly recognized him!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

He must be playing three roles, because:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Alethia

lamas

saw my first commercial for this last night during the thursday college football game.  i thought it looked pretty good.  what's up with commercials for a flick that won't come out for another two months though?

NEON MERCURY

..after carefull atention/reasonong/experience with films ..anfd such ..NEON MERCURY has deemed this film a bust..watch it will be as much as i think it's col to see tom cruise dress and samuri gear and prance around in battle scenes the more redicualous this seems ..iat first i thought it wqas col but now   it LOOKS ABSOLUTELY SILLY...i hope bvased on the trailer i have seen this film doesm't receive well b/c it shouldn't its really cheesy looking..watch the trailer again and HONESLTLYn try not to laugh at it....I mean come on.. :roll: .tom cruise as a samuria?>>>