We Are The Best

Started by wilder, July 23, 2013, 04:53:48 PM

wilder

Set in 1980s Stockholm, the film is based off the graphic novel "Never Goodnight" by Coco Moodysson, and follows three 12-13 year-old girls who roam the city streets and form a punk band without instruments.

Directed by Lukas Moodysson (Lilya 4-Ever, Show Me Love)
Starring Mira Barkhammar, Mira Grosin Liv LeMoyne, David Dencik, Johan Liljemark, and Anna Rydgren.
Release Date - May 30, 2014

wilder

wilder

Magnolia Acquires Lukas Moodysson's We Are the Best!
via blu-ray.com

Magnolia Pictures has acquired the U.S. distribution rights to acclaimed Swedish director Lukas Moodyson's new film We Are the Best! (2013), starring David Dencik, Mira Barkhammar, and Liv LeMoyne. The company plans a theatrical release in 2014.

We Are the Best! had its North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival earlier this month.

Official synopsis (courtesy of TIFF): With the ebullient and raucous We are the Best!, Swedish master Lukas Moodysson returns to the territory he mined in his first two features, Fucking Amal and Together. Set in early 1980s Stockholm, the film focuses on three girls, Bobo, Klara and Hedvig — outcasts who are about to enter their teenage years, and share little with their classmates. The other girls are offended by their independence and the boys just don't like their punk-influenced style and bravado. They're even less enamoured of the trio when they start their own band — that's something only boys should be doing.

jenkins

wilder

Opens May 30, 2014

US Trailer

Pubrick

The quality of this guy's films is directly proportional to how nice he is being to the kids in the films.
under the paving stones.

wilder

New poster and list of US release dates in various cities

5/30/2014

Montreal, QC: Cinema du Parc
New York, NY: Angelika Film Center (6)
New York, NY: Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center
Toronto, ON: TIFF Bell Lightbox
Vancouver, BC: VanCity Theatre
West Los Angeles, CA: Nuart Theatre

6/6/2014

San Rafael, CA: Smith Rafael Film Center

6/13/2014

Cambridge, MA: Kendall Square Cinema 9
Nashville, TN: Belcourt Theatre
Philadelphia, PA: Ritz at the Bourse
San Diego, CA: Ken Cinema
Santa Fe, NM: The Screen
Seattle, WA: Varsity Theatre
Washington, DC: E Street Cinema

6/18/2014

Torrance, CA: Rolling Hills 20

6/20/2014

Denver, CO: Chez Artiste
Minneapolis, MN: Lagoon Cinema
Tallahassee, FL: Tallahassee Film Society / All Saints Cinema

6/27/2014

Atlanta, GA: Midtown Art Cinemas 8
Columbus, OH: Gateway Film Center

7/25/2014

Jefferson City, MO: Capitol City Cinema

Check Magnolia's site for updates

wilder

My Life In Film: Lukas Moodysson, Director Of 'We Are The Best!'
By Edward Davis
via The Playlist

The work of director Lukas Moodysson has always been challenging, with the filmmaker coming to the attention of cinephiles with 1998's "Fucking Åmål," and earning further attention for his often tough dramas such as "Lilja-4-Ever," "A Hole In My Heart" and "Mammoth." But Moodysson's latest couldn't be more different.

Hilarious, and infused with pure joy and a playfully rebellious spirit, "We Are The Best!" might be one of the, well, best times you have at the movies this summer. Based on the graphic novel by the director's wife, Coco Moodysson, the film follows the travails of three young girls who decide to form a punk band in 1980s Stockholm. The decision finds them battling against what's expected of their gender, all while they navigate coming of age and learning who they really are as people and friends. It's effortlessly charming and sweet with a streak of authenticity that makes every moment feel real.

With the film coming to theatres this Friday, we caught up with Moodysson to talk with him about the movies that changed his life and put him on the path that has led to his diverse career.

The first movie you ever saw.
No idea. My memory is terrible. Maybe it was "The Brothers Lionheart," based on Astrid Lindgren's book, or some other Astrid Lindgren movie.

The best moviegoing film experience you ever had.
Some of my own films, because I always expect a fiasco and sometimes it is but sometimes it's not, and those rare moments when I watch my own film with an audience and it doesn't feel like they want to kill me afterwards. Those are wonderful moments... The Stockholm premiere of "Fucking Åmål" ("Show Me Love"), for example... Or the Venice premiere of "We Are The Best!"

The first film you saw that you realized, you too could be a filmmaker.
"Twin Peaks." Not a film, but still ... I wasn't very interested in films/moving images before "Twin Peaks." I didn't take movies seriously. Strange, because I had actually seen some good movies, for example some Tarkovsky movies, that I liked a lot before "Twin Peaks," but still I considered it an inferior art form compared to, for example, music and literature.

The first movie you became obsessed with.
Obsessed? I don't know. I wanted to try heroin after watching "Christiane F." when I was 12. I was very touched by "Fanny & Alexander" at approximately the same age, but obsessed? Yes, maybe.

The movie that always makes you cry.
I rarely re-watch movies, so there is no "always." My emotional comfort food: maybe "Friends" the TV series. And actually, it makes me cry too, especially the last season when the feeling of break-up is so strong I can hardly watch it. The only movie I've really rewatched is "The Last Picture Show" by Peter Bogdanovich. I have seen it three times, I think, that's my maximum. Such a great film.

The movie that always freaks you out/makes you scared.
I don't like movies that make me scared.

The movie you love that no one would expect you to love.
People who know me are not surprised that I like a lot of "light" comedies. They are maybe surprised if I say that "Bridesmaids" is one of my favorite movies.

The movie that defined your coming-of-age/high school experience.
No such film. Music was more important. And girls. But I remember one evening, taking the bus to Malmö on my own, watching a rerun of "Doctor Zhivago." That was a magic moment. The book is much better, but the film is very strong, especially the snow and the set design, the atmosphere.

The film that made you fall in love with cinema.
Again, "Twin Peaks." Or some video on MTV. I remember the shock of seeing Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to U" video. That one was very special.

The film that's been your best ever date movie.
I've never had a movie date, at least not a good one—unless a date with my wife counts. I do remember our worst movie date however. The first time we had someone babysit for our newborn son, we went to see "Se7en." Stupid idea—the world felt horrible and dangerous and I wanted to build a shelter. I still hate that film. I can't understand how people want to make films with all that violence and terror. But this opinion is very very subjective, because I saw it at the worst possible time.

"We Are The Best!" opens in limited release this weekend on May 30th.

wilder

Blu-ray on September 23, 2014. Also curently available via VOD on Amazon Instant

Axolotl

jenkins

The basis for the movie was the graphic novel Never Goodnight by Coco Moodysson, and it'll have its English publication September 22.

The ebook version has been available since June 18. I'd buy it but I'm not a graphic novel person. Though I bet if one person says to me one nice thing about Never Goodnight, I'll buy it. This was a bigger deal to me before I remembered it's a graphic novel. Like when I picked up the Blue Is the Warmest Color graphic novel it was like... zero of the emotion I felt in the movie came to me. But people dear to me are into graphic novels very much, and somehow people keep making movies out of them, so props. All types in this world and here's a screenshot I took of a sample page: