A Ghost Story

Started by Reel, December 01, 2016, 09:23:54 PM

jenkins

Quote from: polkablues on January 14, 2017, 05:12:26 PM
It was bought by Netflix and currently available to watch there. Made by Oz Perkins (son of Anthony), who's kind of a big up-and-comer right now between that and his earlier, yet to be released film The Blackcoat's Daughter. He's a master of atmosphere, but a bit rough narratively. They're both gorgeous movies with great performances, though.

the son of Anthony Perkins part makes me picture a free throw line slamdunk

Ghostboy

Quote from: polkablues on January 14, 2017, 02:05:35 PM
Curious if Ghostboy has seen I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House yet. I'm getting the sense his movie might have a similar tone and vibe to that one, though I imagine his film is probably a good bit odder.

I haven't seen it, but I liked the trailer - which suggested to me a far more traditional movie than this weird thing we've made. Very curious what the responses will be next week. People might hate this thing. It's going to be interesting.

matt35mm

Dang, I was one of the first in line for public ticket sales and even a 2nd Half 8:30am screening of A GHOST STORY was already sold out.  :yabbse-sad:

Ghostboy

I guarantee that by the time that 8:30am screening rolls around tickets will be available. Plus they always save some for every screening for the Wait List and Day-Of sales.

matt35mm

Your confidence gives me confidence. Thanks!

Lottery

Quote from: Ghostboy on January 14, 2017, 05:26:48 PM
...Which suggested to me a far more traditional movie than this weird thing we've made. Very curious what the responses will be next week. People might hate this thing. It's going to be interesting.
Quote from: Reelist on January 12, 2017, 08:43:58 PM
For those who don't follow the Instagram, First still image and a few tidbits on the tone of the film!

This almost sounds like a Weerasethakul film. Only in Texas.

jenkins

of course people will hate it. of course people will love it. the question is if the love will outweigh the hate. i think it's lined up to be loved, since fate has brought Affleck, circumstance has brought A24, and Ghostboy himself has created a name for himself, absolutely. those are the recently shined names, but the credit list is chock-full of great names, honestly you'd have to point out the name that's not great.

my guess is still Lowery is the editor, and it doesn't really matter what the people think, it never really does okay, if you bring the cinema you brought the cinema and that's what you came to do. based on what i know the cinema has been brought, there we go, the worst that can happen from here is Paradise World Problems.

polkablues

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/sundance-film-festival-returning-filmmakers-interviews-1201769552

QuoteDavid Lowery: I kept "A Ghost Story" a secret because I didn't want any pressure. I was paying for it myself with a couple of friends. If the experiment didn't turn out well or failed, we could have buried it and not released it. Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara are friends who would come to Texas for a week to do this crazy thing for no money and hang out and have fun.

It was fun to be able to go make a movie like this without asking for permission or financing. I have all sorts of interests and proclivities to explore as a filmmaker. I'm using a lot of the same folks who worked on "Pete's Dragon." It's fun and exciting to stretch my muscles. I'm working on a second draft of  "Peter Pan." I start shooting "The Old Man with a Gun" [starring Casey Affleck and Robert Redford] seven weeks after Sundance.

It's a straight-on ghost story with the ghost represented by the most famous symbol of a ghost: Casey is covered in a sheet with the eyes cut out for the whole movie. It's goofy, serious, and haunting, an interesting dichotomy that may take people a second to get used to. There's almost no dialogue, with an 8-minute monologue an hour in. It's shot in 4-3 [ratio]. It depends on your wavelength: It's either strange and unapproachable, or emotional.

The movie belongs in NEXT in its disregard for what people might expect from a Sundance film. For it to be in Premiere or Competition would give the wrong idea: it's important to set expectations. It does have two Academy Award-nominated movie stars, and one might win the Oscar before the movie comes out. It's something closer to a Matthew Barney movie perhaps.

A24 had seen a reel of footage — it wasn't done — they went for it. Now they've seen it and love it. It will find its audience. I'm not worried about whether or not it's beloved, it doesn't need that. It's great to bring something so purely from my own id and see it up on the big screen and get a burst of eerie energy.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ghostboy

I swear to god I don't speak in non sequiturs like that. Jesus Christ.

polkablues

Quote from: Ghostboy on January 21, 2017, 02:46:18 AM
I swear to god I don't speak in non sequiturs like that. Jesus Christ.

I don't know, here's another quote from the article:

QuoteDavid Lowery: We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

I saw the first tweets. There is love for the movie out there! Or people who were out of it. Can't wait to know where I'll stand!
Ascension.

jenkins

in High Heels there was this part where she asks, "Is he being charming or sincere?" and the reply was sincere

@A24 A GHOST STORY is not a horror movie. It's a love story. There is time travel and pie-eatin and more. It will be our Casper

@mattsinger A GHOST STORY: The most audacious movie I've seen at #Sundance so far. An original look at ghosts, love, and the passage of time. Wow.

@akstanwyck A Ghost Story is a riveting tone poem. The sheet was a design feat. "He has a monotone face you impress yourself on," says costume designer.

@jpraup A Ghost Story has the beauty, patience, and humor of Weerasethakul meets the existential musings of Linklater, then infinitely expands.

@erickohn A GHOST STORY is David Lowery's best work by a long shot, plus the best stress-eating scene ever

@meherthemoon how did i end up watching a romantic ghost story

jenkins

it was a bleak forecast intended as a helpful forecast of natural human reactions. i hope Sundance loves it because of course i do.

wilder

Just read The Playlists' review

Quote from: Noel MurrayIt's hard to explain exactly what "A Ghost Story" is. It's definitely not a comedy, although that first manifestation of The Ghost is very funny, and there a few other laugh-out-loud moments. (At several points in the film The Ghost communicates telepathically with a neighboring spirit, and their conversations are hilariously bland.)

[...]

...once The Ghost sets up camp in his old house, "A Ghost Story" shifts to long, dialogue-free scenes of the woman coming to grips with what happened, before gradually feeling her pain subside — all while unaware of the white lump that's slowly following her from room to room. Sometimes her life seems to move along almost too quickly. And at other times, Lowery spends five minutes filming his actress eating most of a full-sized pie.

Gahhh this sounds great!