Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Alethia

Quote from: wilberfan on November 03, 2018, 11:37:36 PM
Awards buzz is icing for John Krasinski and 'A Quiet Place'

QuoteCritics loved its high concept thrills, too, and while many have offered their praise, a certain phone call stands out for Krasinski — the one he got from his favorite director, and friend, Paul Thomas Anderson.

"It was probably 30 minutes long about how much he loved the movie and how much it meant to him and how much he wished movies like this happened every Friday. I genuinely blacked out on that phone call," Krasinski said. "He said, 'I'll tell you the best compliment I can give you: As I was walking back to my car I thought, OK, I need to get back to work.'"

Anderson actually provided some inspiration for "A Quiet Place." Krasinski said he studied the opening of "There Will Be Blood" and other modern films that employ silence to figure out how he would approach it in his film. He also looked at "Jaws," ''Rosemary's Baby" the films of Alfred Hitchcock for ideas in tension-building.
Source

Ew.

jenkins

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 03, 2018, 11:30:20 AM
Quote from: Heisenberg on November 02, 2018, 01:29:57 PM
PTA got a special thanks in the end credits for Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria.

First billed special thanks, too!

i was like, "huh, everyone's noticing that, interesting," but now i'm like "oh okay i get it"

Yes

PTA moderated a DGA screening for If Beale Street Could Talk

Quote"I'm jealous of your close ups." -Paul Thomas Anderson to Barry Jenkins. Another amazing film from one of my favorite auteurs. To think both Moonlight and If...
https://twitter.com/YourFavN8Hapke/status/1061813279671103488

Alethia

jenkins

Yes

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson is hosting an awards season screening of "A Quiet Place." Fascinating.

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/1062878949070405632

wilberfan

Steven Brill (director, Adam Sandler One Hundred Percent Fresh concert film) on getting PTA to DP one of Sandler's L.A. nights.

Brill: I met Paul back when we were shooting Little Nicky in ... what was it, 1999? We were shooting at Paramount and Adam said, "Oh, that guy who did Boogie Nights is coming over. He wants to talk to me about some movie, and he's a big fan of yours." I'm like, "What?! The guy who did Boogie Nights is a fan of mine? From what, Heavyweights?" And Adam says, "Yeah, Heavyweights." I thought, "Okay, whatever," but then Paul shows up and says, "Man, I loved Heavyweights," and I was like, "Oh my God, this is the coolest thing ever." Because even then, when he had only done Hard Eight and Boogie Nights, everyone knew this was the guy. Great filmmaker. He showed up at Little Nicky and hung out, and he and Adam became friends and did Punch-Drunk Love and stayed friends.

Paul loves comedy and he loves music, and he's sneakily shooting little music things all the time. When we started working on the special, Phantom Thread came out, and there is nothing more exciting to me than a new PTA movie. Even though I know him and am friends with him, I'm still in awe of him, I'm still more a fan than anything else. With Phantom Thread I felt like he had taken it to a whole other level, and the fact that he was his own director of photography got me thinking maybe I could get him to shoot for me. Not the whole special, I knew he wouldn't do that, but maybe a night at Largo. He showed up there one night when Sandler was performing and I just threw it out there: "Hey Paul, how would you like to shoot a night?" His eyes sort of lit up, which was the first good sign. Then he goes, "Film?" And I go, "Yeah, film." I joked, "Think about it, we could get you a good day rate out of this," and he laughed and thought about it. And then I just kept pressuring him. We went out on tour, we came back. I told him we had these nights at Largo, though ultimately that didn't work out because of the fire marshals — it's a boxy theater without enough exits and stuff. But I thought, maybe if we find another place I can get him involved. I would email him places in the Valley that I knew he knew as a kid, then finally I just said, "How about we find a rock and roll place in Hollywood, like the Troubadour, and just make it look as cool as we can?"

We came upon the El Rey, which is a rock club but it's also an old theater, an old movie house. It had everything we needed for shooting, and Paul finally said yes and we got every person who could load film that was available — we had six film crews around each camera, loading ten-minute mags. We didn't stop, we just staggered the cameras and shot 80,000 feet of film. We had a day of prep and a day of shooting, and it was an absolute blast. It was the only night we shot on film and it cost more than the rest of the special, but it was worth it. It was an indulgence, I guess, but it looked gorgeous and we got some of those Paul Thomas Anderson wide-angle straight-in moves. He wanted to push in on Adam from the center of the theatre, which normally you can't do because there's no aisle directly in the middle of any venue. But in this place we were able to create the pit and the aisle and put a dolly in there. We did a tech rehearsal day with Adam that's actually in the movie; it's the first thing we open on, a camera test with Paul operating the dolly.

Source

jviness02

https://youtu.be/ETrJUaoa1Zc

At around 3:30 of the video, Ethan Hawke questions praise towards Marlon Brando's directing in One Eyed Jack because Kubrick prepped the film and was fired last minute. "That would be like if I hired P.T. Anderson to make a film and then fired him last minute and directed it based on his plan and called myself a genius."

So he basically calls PTA this generations Kubrick.

ono

And he calls himself this generation's Brando.

I mean touche, and I like you Ethan, but that's a bold move, Cotton.

wilberfan

John C. Reilly Talks Transformation For 'Stan & Ollie' And Relationship With Paul Thomas Anderson [Interview]

Speaking of "Boogie Nights," there's this great story about you, a mustache, a cop suit, and Paul Thomas Anderson. And this is essentially how you landed the role in "Magnolia."

Not exactly. I created the role of "Magnolia" by doing that. And Paul used the videotapes that we made as a joke because we were bored and I happened to have a mustache. And he thought I looked like a cop [laughter]. We were obsessed with cops at the time. We made those videotapes just for fun. And then we made "Boogie Nights." And when we were finished with '"Boogie Nights," when he started to write "Magnolia," he went back to those videotapes and created my character for "Magnolia" based on [them]. Paul's one of my closest friends. We've known each other a long time. We've been through a lot of things together.

(Reilly told an extended version of this story to a rapt audience at the Aero Theater (Santa Monica) back in October before a "Magnolia" screening.)

Source

wilberfan

'Vice' Originally Had a Musical Number, But Paul Thomas Anderson Convinced Adam McKay to Cut It
QuoteIt's hard to picture Dick Cheney bursting into song, but it almost happened in Adam McKay's Vice. McKay's dark comedy biopic about the former Vice President makes a wide variety of stylistic choices to tell its tale, and at one point, one of those flourishes involved a full-blown musical number. In the end, though, director Paul Thomas Anderson convinced McKay to leave it on the cutting room floor. More on the deleted Vice musical number below.

Just as he did with The Big Short, director Adam McKay takes an "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to his Dick Cheney biopic Vice, using a variety of cinematic tricks and visual sleight-of-hand to tell the story. It also almost featured a musical number. McKay revealed the presence of a song and dance scene, and confirmed Phantom Thread director Paul Thomas Anderson suggested he remove it, during a New York Times profile:

"McKay also showed "Vice" to filmmaker friends like Paul Thomas Anderson and David O. Russell. After Anderson, who watched two preliminary cuts, told McKay that the end of the movie worked great but the start "had problems," McKay decided to scrap two early sections: an elaborate musical number and a prolonged passage set in Cheney's Wyoming adolescence. McKay adored both but decided that Anderson was right — they were gumming up the machinery."

ElPandaRoyal

I love reading this sort of thing. Especially in an era when it seems everyone is so vulenrable to criticism, it's great to know that Paul is one of the people some filmmakers count on to give them some notes, and that he seems to be as honest as possible. The worst thing  people can do in these situations is not tell you how they feel so they don't hurt your feelings, so kudos to him.
Si

wilberfan

Adam McKay went from Ron Burgundy to Dick Cheney, and it actually makes perfect sense

"Will [Ferrell] and I joke that we single-handedly ruined Paul Thomas Anderson's producing career before it started," Adam McKay says, casually splaying his 6-foot-5 frame across the couch, as though in a weekly therapy session. The original script for his eventual comedy classic "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" was so deliriously absurd that Anderson, the auteur behind "Boogie Nights," "The Phantom Thread" and "Magnolia" — a movie that ends with a preposterous rain of frogs falling from the sky — threw up his hands and amicably bowed out of the agreement.

"He was, like, 'I don't know what to tell these guys, because I love this, but I know it won't work," McKay adds.

Of course, it did work — at least half a dozen lines from the movie are firmly entrenched in the greater American lexicon — and pretty much everything else has worked for McKay in the decade-plus since he brought Ron Burgundy into our lives.

jenkins

It's such an obvious statement btw. No offense to PTA but to his fans (not referring to you specifically, whoever you are)