A question about MAC computers

Started by EL__SCORCHO, April 13, 2003, 03:49:41 PM

EL__SCORCHO

I'm looking to buy a new computer and I'm thinking of getting a MAC. I've never had a Mac before, but a lot of people have told me that they're better computers to get for editing and a lot other tech stuff. Is this true? Does the Mac come with any editing programs or are they just designed to handle those programs better? Can anyone tell me anything about this?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOa lot of people have told me that they're better computers to get for editing and a lot other tech stuff. Is this true?

YES.

Like someone mentioned before, check out the Apple Store (the physical one) and see if they're offering a FCP package. Otherwise you'll have to acquire FCP the hard way, because you need it. You do. Everyone on this earth needs FCP. Anyway, look at this thread for reccomendations. The one question that you must answer is: laptop, tower, or imac? Consider the price of monitors, and the value margin between laptops and towers.

Duck Sauce

Buying a G4 and an IPOD have been pretty tempting to me latley. Apples seem so cool.  Just thought Id share.

Recce

MACs are definitely worth it for editing. They all come with iMovie for editing, but that's more for home video editing. If you wanna do some real work, you'll need to get Final Cut Pro or Premiere or something to that effect. What's you're budget for your computer?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: RecceMACs are definitely worth it for editing. They all come with iMovie for editing, but that's more for home video editing. If you wanna do some real work, you'll need to get Final Cut Pro or Premiere or something to that effect. What's you're budget for your computer?

I was thinking I'd spend about 1500. Can I get a good one for that, or just decent? I looked in the apple webpage, but to be honest, I don't really know all that much about computers. Whenever I read specific details about them, I'm not completely sure what they're talking about. I just want one that will let me edit a fair amount of footage.

Ghostboy

You can get an iMac or an eMac for 1500. It'll be money well spent.

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: GhostboyYou can get an iMac or an eMac for 1500. It'll be money well spent.

which of these two would you recommend?

Recce

Well, I have an eMac. It's a very good computer. You can get the Superdrive model for 1299$ plus tax(US). However, you'd probly need to upgrade to at least 768mb of ram as it only comes with 256mb of ram. With 768, you have a very solid computer that can burn DVD's and that you can use to edit feature length films. The only problem is the memory. That model, the 800mhz, only comes with a 60 GB hard drive. Depending on how much editing you plan on doing, it might not be enough. And since the eMac G4 is all one piece, if you wanna add memory, you'd need to add an external hard drive. That can set you back another couple of hundred bucks. Don't be fooled by the iMac g4. It's more expensive thnen the eMac G4 for no real reason. You get almost the same thing and a bigger screen for less if you get the eMac. Keep in mind, however, you'll need an editing software.  As I'm sure you've heard, Final Cut Pro is pretty much the best for Mac, but it'll cost you a pretty penny. Unless you're open to...ahem...third party 'acquisition'.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

Ghostboy

Third party acquistion is great, but I do look forward to the day I can skip that hassle and simply pay for everything. I did pay for FCP the first time around, so I'm not too evil yet.

Anyway, the reason the iMac costs more is just because it looks so damn cool. Also, they now come with rectangular displays, rather than the standard square. Much more pleasant to look at/work with. I got the 800mhz model, with a superdrive and 256mgs of RAM for about 1500. I also got an additional 512 mb of RAM free with it, so that was nice. Go to www.macwarehouse.com, you get everything tax free.

Recce

Quote from: GhostboyAnyway, the reason the iMac costs more is just because it looks so damn cool. Also, they now come with rectangular displays, rather than the standard square. Much more pleasant to look at/work with. I got the 800mhz model, with a superdrive and 256mgs of RAM for about 1500. I also got an additional 512 mb of RAM free with it, so that was nice. Go to www.macwarehouse.com, you get everything tax free.

Yeah, I got my extra ram at MacWarehous, too. They're good people. It's true about the rectangular display. I saw one at futureshop a little while back. They do look kick ass cool. My mouth almost dropped to the floor. But, if you've got a limited budget, it's simply a luxury that you could very easily do without. eMac is jsut as good performance wise. And you could always get the tilt and swivel stand for like 50$ if you want to be able to adjust your screen.

EL__SCORCHO

thanks for all the help everyone! I really appreciate it.

Ghostboy

On a slightly similar subject....

The Beta version of Apple's new OS X web browser, Safari, is now available for download. www.apple.com/safari

I'm currently greatly enjoying it. So long, MSE.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: GhostboyOn a slightly similar subject....

The Beta version of Apple's new OS X web browser, Safari, is now available for download. www.apple.com/safari

I'm currently greatly enjoying it. So long, MSE.

That is wonderful, considering I think, for instance....IE for Mac's sucks a big one.....Netscape has worked well for me, but it's still generally PC based....I am glad to see Mac come out with their own browsers...

RegularKarate

Safari only works on OSX.2  - I'm still on 10.05... however, now I remember when I was opening the box for my Mac... there may have been this sheet of paper that told me how I could get a free upgrade... if that offer's expired... I'm gonna be pissed at myself....  I guess I was just too excited to get it up and running to pay enough attention to something important like that.

BrainSushi

Blasted 10.2!! Seems like everything now if for Jaguar, and I'm still on 10.1 (or 10-point-something-less-than-two).

My sister's in college and can buy Jaguar for real cheap, but she keeps procrastinating on that. Procrastination is in our blood. One day, though, I will be completely upgraded!

But going back to editing software, I have Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere (sp?), but choose not to use them because iMovie fits my needs perfectly, and always has. I never make anything feature-length anyway. But now that I've got iMovie3, I can make my movies widescreen :-D  :-D