Johnny (ice cold) Depp

Started by Banky, October 29, 2003, 10:29:27 PM

Gold Trumpet

I'd like to see Budgie active in posting to post for this topic.

My opinion? I don't really think he is all that great. Most of his choices in roles look like ways for him to get away from his natural good looks. To say, as thread title does, he is "ice cold" (cooler than cool, as Andre Benjamin puts it) goes a little against his purpose. He doesn't reside on his physical appearance to charm, as does George Clooney. He is sincerely trying to destroy myths of resting on his looks and go incognito as much as possible to show he is in it for roles. His presence in movies doesn't stem from grounds on how to act, but how to change. I think this hurts his acting because so many roles can be seen as statements of how he wants to be represented instead of honest attempts really to act. I always get the very tired word, "weird", in my head everytime I think about Depp's career of choices. Its just with Depp, I see little ground in his work but instead a variety of roles and costumes fitting for any costume store room.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp to Star in The Libertine
Source: Variety

Variety reports that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl star Johnny Depp will go to the 17th century for The Libertine, which begins production February 23 outside London.

Depp will star opposite John Malkovich and Samantha Morton in a tale based on the true story of John Wilmot, the Earl of Rochester, who was a poet, courtier and notorious rake.

Adapted by Stephen Jeffreys from his own play, the film marks the feature debut of British commercials director Laurence Dunmore. The film's budget of about $16 million is close to Depp's asking price to star in high-profile studio pics.

Following "Libertine," Depp is slated to shoot Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for Warner Bros. He is also expected to reprise his Golden Globe-nominated role as Jack Sparrow in Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean 2.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

myadopteddaughter

Blah! Pirates of the Carribean 2? the first one was ok, the only thing that held it together was depp though, the second can't be good, no matter how awesome depp is.
new movie sounds intriguing
who the hell is he going to be in charlie and the chocolate factory? will it still be a musical?
mmm, mmmm good

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: NEON MACGUFFINJohnny Depp to Star in The Libertine
Source: Variety

Variety reports that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl star Johnny Depp will go to the 17th century for The Libertine, which begins production February 23 outside London.

Depp will star opposite John Malkovich and Samantha Morton in a tale based on the true story of John Wilmot, the Earl of Rochester, who was a poet, courtier and notorious rake.

Adapted by Stephen Jeffreys from his own play, the film marks the feature debut of British commercials director Laurence Dunmore. The film's budget of about $16 million is close to Depp's asking price to star in high-profile studio pics.

Following "Libertine," Depp is slated to shoot Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for Warner Bros. He is also expected to reprise his Golden Globe-nominated role as Jack Sparrow in Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

Was Audrey Tautou in a movie called the Libertine, or will she be in this?

Man Depp has had some great roles, and it's obvious when he got typecast, but he's proven the super ability to act.  Which totally reminds me of Mr. Deniro.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Raikus

Quote from: myadopteddaughterwho the hell is he going to be in charlie and the chocolate factory? will it still be a musical?
Mr. Wonka, himself. More info here: http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1756
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pookiethecat

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'd like to see Budgie active in posting to post for this topic.

My opinion? I don't really think he is all that great. Most of his choices in roles look like ways for him to get away from his natural good looks. To say, as thread title does, he is "ice cold" (cooler than cool, as Andre Benjamin puts it) goes a little against his purpose. He doesn't reside on his physical appearance to charm, as does George Clooney. He is sincerely trying to destroy myths of resting on his looks and go incognito as much as possible to show he is in it for roles. His presence in movies doesn't stem from grounds on how to act, but how to change. I think this hurts his acting because so many roles can be seen as statements of how he wants to be represented instead of honest attempts really to act. I always get the very tired word, "weird", in my head everytime I think about Depp's career of choices. Its just with Depp, I see little ground in his work but instead a variety of roles and costumes fitting for any costume store room.

~rougerum

to a certain extent, you are right.  he very deftly avoids true intimacy with his quirky eccentricity and varied role choices.  but there is also something steadfast about him...a real charm and sweetness and dedication in his performances that probably supplies his popularity.  i think when people see these very different movies and johnny depp stars, there is a safety in knowing that no matter how weird the movie's subject matter may be, johnny depp's chops and dedication will keep things fresh... certainly his aloofness and amorphousness is part of his charm.
i wanna lick 'em.

shinwa

True he clearly makes an effort not to be piegonholed as a pretty boy, but I don't think his roles or career has suffered because of it, because he has the talent to back it up.  Besides I don't think he goes out of his way to avoid it. He's not constantly playing physically scarred characters or anything that foolish. In most roles he does nothing to make himself look worse, he just chooses to rely on his acting, and not his cheekbones.
Run until you puke blood.
Practice until you piss blood.
- Ping Pong

pookiethecat

yeah, and he was conventionally good looking in sleepy hollow.
i wanna lick 'em.

SoNowThen

Some actors can play the same role over and over. We need them. Over time, we either get a build up of the "public persona" they want us to see, or we really get intimate with that person through his/her character(s).

Some actors could play anything. They are few and far between. We need them just as much. Oldman and Depp are such. GT, I don't understand your problem. You may see it as a whole lot of costume changes, but you have to admit that Depp is always top in any role he takes. Regardless if you think the roles are posturing or not (which you have to get over, because to be an actor is to posture perpetually), he can still nail any part he wants to.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenSome actors could play anything. They are few and far between. We need them just as much. Oldman and Depp are such. GT, I don't understand your problem. You may see it as a whole lot of costume changes, but you have to admit that Depp is always top in any role he takes. Regardless if you think the roles are posturing or not (which you have to get over, because to be an actor is to posture perpetually), he can still nail any part he wants to.

I really don't think Depp's talent is as deep as everyone says, though. I like what Pookie said about his dedication to keep things fresh which comes off as charming and sweet with every role he is in. I could agree with something like that, but I think its superficial also. Depp was the best thing about Pirates of the Carribean and Once Upon A Time in Mexico, but it was for the fact he was continually trying to be entertaining amidst very bad material. There is something charming about him, but he can't play any role the way Robert Duvall can or play any character as farce the way Hugh Grant can. They really do act. I have yet to be convinced Depp is anything beyond being a likable personality.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere is something charming about him, but he can't play any role the way Robert Duvall can or play any character as farce the way Hugh Grant can. They really do act. I have yet to be convinced Depp is anything beyond being a likable personality.

You don't think he was 'acting' in "Edward Scissorhands"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Comte de Saint Germain

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere is something charming about him, but he can't play any role the way Robert Duvall can or play any character as farce the way Hugh Grant can. They really do act. I have yet to be convinced Depp is anything beyond being a likable personality.

You don't think he was 'acting' in "Edward Scissorhands"?

He was trying to, but I don't think it was that good. The make up, lack of movement in his body seemed to convey all the feeling Depp was willing to convey in the film. Like SoNowThen said I was arguing, he was 'posturing' in that film. I don't believe for one second that posturing is acting, though.
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

picolas

Quote from: Comte de Saint GermainI don't believe for one second that posturing is acting, though.
posturing can actually be a big part of acting. building characters from the spine is an easy way to start physicalizing them. henchmen, jocks, fat monkeys, crab people, crab jocks.. a very spinal thing, it is.

meatball

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: SoNowThenSome actors could play anything. They are few and far between. We need them just as much. Oldman and Depp are such. GT, I don't understand your problem. You may see it as a whole lot of costume changes, but you have to admit that Depp is always top in any role he takes. Regardless if you think the roles are posturing or not (which you have to get over, because to be an actor is to posture perpetually), he can still nail any part he wants to.

I really don't think Depp's talent is as deep as everyone says, though. I like what Pookie said about his dedication to keep things fresh which comes off as charming and sweet with every role he is in. I could agree with something like that, but I think its superficial also. Depp was the best thing about Pirates of the Carribean and Once Upon A Time in Mexico, but it was for the fact he was continually trying to be entertaining amidst very bad material. There is something charming about him, but he can't play any role the way Robert Duvall can or play any character as farce the way Hugh Grant can. They really do act. I have yet to be convinced Depp is anything beyond being a likable personality.

i agree.

pookiethecat

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetor play any character as farce the way Hugh Grant can. They really do act. I have yet to be convinced Depp is anything beyond being a likable personality.

wasn't ed wood pretty farcical?  and grant has never struck me as much of an actor, though about a boy came close.
i wanna lick 'em.