elliott smith

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 05:34:37 PM

modage

in june when i met him he jokingly mentioned killing himself.  he said if the new album isnt out by the end of the year he should just kill himself. i said "no, dont do that."  we laughed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Rudie Obias

last night, i was @ a gathering of friends when i read the tragic news of elliott smith's death. i went in the other room to tell everyone the news and they were all in shock. we could not believe the news. i went back to the computer to find more news about his death but there was no luck. so i went to the balcony and had a cigarette. i was thinking how much elliott smith meant to me. how much his music and words touched my life. i was thinking about all of this and i started to cry. i could not believe i cried over a person i have never met or even talked to but hearing this news was like hearing about kurt cobain or john lennon's death. then this guy came out on the balcony to join me for a smoke. he saw the look on my face and said "you're taking this really hard, aren't you?" i told with how much elliott smith meant to me. i remember feeling comforted by listening to xo or either/or when i would get my heart broken. and remembering how much elliott smith understood pain and the human condition. unfortunately, understanding and dealing with misery are two different things. he was one of the fewer musicians that made me feel each song he wrote was written especially for me.

a bright light has been extinguished, we'll always remember you and your music...

R.I.P.
elliott smith
1969 - 2003

"do you miss me? miss misery, like you say you do."
- elliott smith's miss misery
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Rudie Obias

elliott smith's life follows that of nick drake's.....

its erie to think of the suicide scene in THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS with needle in the hay in the background.  life imitating art or art mitating life....

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pedro

fuck.  this is the first loss of a celebrity that has really made a serious impact on me.  i'm really depressed about this whole thing.   the live links could be found at http://lido.binaryops.com/ but no longer.  sweetadeline.net, the place for everything elliott is also down.  i don't know what to do.  sorry i can't help...i still have a few shows saved so if you want i'll try and send them to you.  this is devastatingly sad, man.  wow.

im speechless

Duck Sauce

this is awful awful news, I was just listening to Figure 8. How bizarre, but to be honest Im not suprised. Stabbing yourself, wow.... that takes guts..... and a knife.

Will be missed, wish I could have seen him live.

Sad day.

A Matter Of Chance

Wow... this is such a shock. I really don't know whatr to say....

Finn

Geez, I figured that he had died by an accident or something but not by suicide. You gotta be really messed up to do something like that. He seemed really successful and had an Oscar nomination, but I guess it's really hard to know what's going on with people.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pedro

Quote from: SydneyGeez, I figured that he had died by an accident or something but not by suicide. You gotta be really messed up to do something like that. He seemed really successful and had an Oscar nomination, but I guess it's really hard to know what's going on with people.
read his fucking lyrics

Finn

Well you could say the same thing about Aimee Mann or any other artist that sings about depression or anything negative. But you don't always see them taking their own lives. Sometimes there's just a lot more going on beneath the surface than what we think. Miss Misery must have really had a lot to do with his own life.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pedro

Quote from: SydneyWell you could say the same thing about Aimee Mann or any other artist that sings about depression or anything negative. But you don't see always seem them taking their own lives. Sometimes there's just a lot more going on beneath the surface than what we think. Miss Misery must have really had a lot to do with his own life.
yeah...sorry i snapped at you.  but also, in february or around there he was showing up to concerts high or drunk and couldn't really play well...

SHAFTR

I think he had an alcoholism problem.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pedro

Quote from: SHAFTRI think he had an alcoholism problem.
defenitely
http://launch.yahoo.com/read/content.asp?contentID=214937

^^^it talks about it there^^^

modage

for anyone else concerned about the fate of the 40 tracks he had been working on for his new double album....

Friends, Peers Mourn Elliott Smith
Source: Billboard.com

The album Elliott Smith was working throughout the last year of his life was an extraordinarily diverse effort that ranged from "phenomenal, experimental soundscapes to the most intimate guitar vocals," his DreamWorks Records A&R man, Luke Wood, tells Billboard.com.

"He was really having fun experimenting with recording," Wood says. "And as always with Elliott, the lyrics were incredibly poignant and very consistent and very beautiful." However diverse, the album -- reportedly titled "From a Basement on the Hill" -- was a focused effort, Woods notes. "It wasn't like a free-for-all."

There's no word yet on what will happen to the recordings. Although Smith had tracked more than 30 songs and was said to have been considering a double album, Wood says it's unclear how many are complete, as Smith had a habit of working on multiple songs at a time. "He was always editing and working," he says. "He always had a large cycle of songs that he was making better, and sometimes that cycle took years."

Yet the Flaming Lips' Steven Drozd tells Billboard.com that when he did some casual recording with Smith roughly a year ago, the singer had "tons of stuff that hasn't been released. And I know a bunch was recorded and mixed and all ready to go."

Smith, 34, died Tuesday after apparently stabbing himself in the heart. According to a source, he did so using a steak knife at his girlfriend's apartment in the Echo Park neighborhood of Los Angeles.

About a year ago, Smith built his own studio in Los Angeles, and it was there that he was focusing on "From a Basement on the Hill." Jon Spencer Blues Explosion drummer Russell Simins, who occasionally collaborated with Smith onstage and in the studio, says he recently recorded with the singer at his own studio in New York.

Some of the new songs Smith was working on included "Strung Out Again," "Let's Get Lost," "Shooting Star," "A Distorted Reality Is Now a Necessity To Be Free" and "Fond Farewell." The titles seem to suggest he may have been contemplating suicide and revisiting his frequent themes of addiction.

In a highly unusual move, Wood says DreamWorks had reached an agreement with Smith that allowed him to take a "sabbatical" from the label. The singer, Wood says, was looking for a more intimate way to reconnect with the fans who had followed him since his indie days, during which he issued albums for the Cavity Search and Kill Rock Stars labels.

"It was sort of like, 'How do you continue to motivate and be a true partner to an artist who's gonna want to take turns and do different things, and reach his audience more directly without going through radio or MTV?'" Wood says. "I think it was really a sense of him being able to feel like he was in control of his own destiny. And he wanted to bring it down and do sort of less promotion, and focus just more on making a record and getting it out."

Smith, Wood says, was going to release "From a Basement on the Hill" on an independent label of his choosing, even though he would have remained signed to DreamWorks. During his five-year tenure with the label, Smith issued a handful of releases on indies. In August, released the single "Pretty (Ugly Before)" as a limited-edition seven-inch on the Suicide Squeeze label.

While it was well-known amongst his friends and peers that Smith was battling alcohol and hard drug addiction and depression -- for which he was on medication, according to a source -- Wood says the singer's suicide was still quite shocking. In the past six months, Wood says, the singer seemed hopeful and excited about completing the album and then launching a tour to support it.

Says Simins, "He seemed to be doing really well lately. That's why it's really sad. We all had a hope that he was in a good way, or at least heading towards that."

Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne wasn't so optimistic about Smith's state of mind. He recalled the Lips' show in Los Angeles with Beck last year, where a bloated and clearly frustrated Smith was involved in a scuffle with police and seemed to be clearly losing his fight with addiction. "It really was nothing but sad," Coyne says. "You just sort of saw a guy who had lost control of himself. He was needy, he was grumpy, he was everything you wouldn't want in a person. It's not like when you think of Keith Richards being pleasantly blissed out in the corner."

"I think it points out how unglamorous the whole drug thing really is," Coyne continues. "For the people who knew him, the people who were around him, it was horrible. It's not this glamorous, jetsetting, beautiful lifestyle that everybody dreams of rock'n'roll heaven being. It wasn't like that at all. It was ugly. It was sad."

Adds Drozd, "There's an undercurrent of f***in' real sadness in a lot of his music that just f***in' crushes me. And that's just really the way he was. I hate to sound that way, but he really was. And I can hear it in his music. That's totally him."

Addiction, Wood says, was "a constant battle for him, but I gotta say, I thought it was one he was winning." Wood called Smith the "essence of what we would want DreamWorks as a culture to stand for -- the true song craft, the ambition, the artistry, his performance ability. I think he challenged the rules of songwriting and being a pop artist."

He adds that to Smith, life was "a very beautiful and brutal place, and his songs were that ground in between."

What was lost Tuesday, Simins says, was "someone who was really admirable as a person and as a star. There's so much bulls*** around, so many unhumble people who are all about the glitz and the glam and the bulls***. What we lost is a very, very, very, very truthful, truthful, honest star. I think both as a person and as a musician, as an artist. It's really sad because he was just brutally, brutally honest. And very smart. And if you put the two together, it's undeniably appealing."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

That's so sad.  He will be missed. :cry:

Britney Spears, please follow suit.

moonshiner

i'm saddened, truly shocked and a little disturbed by the little detail released about his apparent suicide...i'm almost hoping he was another place altogether as far as his drug addiction...he had to have been in a dark, lonely place to take himself like that, nothing redeeming about that life, not even his art, because his art was all too much truth   FUCK
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one