Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

tpfkabi

i don't know.........is there any value to a first printing maybe? probably not..........i got Mon Oncle from ebeaman for close to retail........Playtime was the one i payed up the butt for.........by the way Criterion worded their statement, it seems that Mon Oncle and M. Hulot's Holiday will be the same releases.......maybe only Playtime will be different........i remember reading somewhere that the ratio still wasn't right on it
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Originally posted elsewhere:

from the bfi website:

www.bfi.org.uk/videocat/index.php

bfi Video - In Production

The Leopard

Luchino Visconti’s epic film will be released on DVD and VHS in spring 2004

bfi Video is currently working on the production of The Leopard in conjunction with Twentieth Century Fox and the Criterion Collection, for release on both DVD and VHS formats.

Although we had initially hoped to release The Leopard this November, we have recently had the unforeseen opportunity to access original 70mm elements of the film. This will enable us to release the best possible version with superb picture and sound quality, but the technical process has meant that it will not be ready until early 2004.

The DVD will contain several extras. Currently confirmed are a full feature commentary by David Forgacs, Professor of Italian at University College London, extracts from an interview with Claudia Cardinale and the original trailer.

As soon as we can confirm the release date we will announce it here.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Quote from: bigideasi don't know.........is there any value to a first printing maybe? probably not..........i got Mon Oncle from ebeaman for close to retail........Playtime was the one i payed up the butt for.........by the way Criterion worded their statement, it seems that Mon Oncle and M. Hulot's Holiday will be the same releases.......maybe only Playtime will be different........i remember reading somewhere that the ratio still wasn't right on it

The first edition of Seven Samurai is sought after because it has a restoration featurette that Toho requested to be removed.

cine

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
The Leopard

Luchino Visconti's epic film will be released on DVD and VHS in spring 2004
This makes me so happy. Criterion has been on a roll with pleasing me as of late. 2004 is going to a spectacular year. :-D

Redlum

I just read that the following titles are going OOP at the end of the year.

Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious
Rebecca
pellbound
and Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs.

Also, I know PTA swears by it but could anyone give me the lowdown on 'Mon Oncle' (maybe GT)?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

godardian

Quote from: ®edlumI just read that the following titles are going OOP at the end of the year.

Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious
Rebecca
pellbound
and Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs.

Also, I know PTA swears by it but could anyone give me the lowdown on 'Mon Oncle' (maybe GT)?

Thumbnail description of Mon Oncle: Bright, colorful, playful, mild, funny, slapstick, mostly silent (or dialogue-free, I should say), gentle critique of technological encroachment. Godardian's favorite Tati. Beautifully shot. Tati = The French Chaplin; M. Hulot = The French Little Tramp.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Redlum

Quote from: godardian
Tati = The French Chaplin; M. Hulot = The French Little Tramp.

Thats all you need to say. I love Chaplin. No region 2 exists as far as I know, so I'll think I'll have to dig deep for the Criterion when it comes out again.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gold Trumpet

Mon Onle is the only one of the three Tati films I haven't seen. I'm guessing though Godardian did a fair job in describing it.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Unheard of to me before today, recent posting at a movie board suggests this little known 1960s japanese art house film is going to get the Criterion treatment. In the posting, a guy mentions how this is likely coming and in his reasoning reverts back to a mailing list he is apart of where the guy who is supposebly doing the essay for the film mentioned it there that he was doing it. Also, the film is under "Home Vision Cinema" so odds are likely.

Links of info to film:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0058430/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0780019172/qid=1067747266/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-7942989-2717647

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Usually, much is to thank from the local criterion collection forum because they provide all the news and rumors that appear on this thread. In a very shallow move, they have announced their first annual award show and what is especially low of this is the categories on which to vote on:

Criterion producer of the year
Criterion designer of the year
Criterion release of the year
Best commentary
Best single supplement
Best box set or multiple title release
Best single-title release
Best surprise (film, not announcement)
CCF member of the year
The Richard Cranium memorial award for CCF worst member of the year

From my limited experience of posting, a lot of people there are just downright foreign film snobs. This award deal only makes the snobbery official. And considering I have posted there and posted to create discussions by giving negative reviews on "classic movies", you can call me a high candidate for "worst member of the year" because they don't take well to people who speak against accepted things of their country club. Usually, though, the forum is excellent in just the amount of news they can give to Criterion Collection, but they are "Snobs 'R' Us" with this move. *Spits*

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

Hey, let's do our OWN snobby thing here. We'll show them!!

Ravi

Quote from: Find Your MagaliHey, let's do our OWN snobby thing here. We'll show them!!

I'll start.  Armageddon?  The Rock?  What the hell were they thinking?

In reality, I don't mind if they released these, if they help to make money so that they can do releases like By Brakhage and more Kurosawa films.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: Find Your MagaliHey, let's do our OWN snobby thing here. We'll show them!!

I'll start.  Armageddon?  The Rock?  What the hell were they thinking?

Well, clearly they are 2/3 of the way toward that amazing Michael Bay three-movie box set they will be offering us some day. Sure to include a fourth disc of special features on which film historians and critics babble on endlessly about the brilliance of Bay. ... Can't WAIT!!!

modage

the rock is good, but what about the blob?  it was like a bad rebel without a cause wannabe with jello.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.