The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

martinthewarrior

Stefen

Uh, can you always post and keep us updated during production? Pretty please.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

P Heat

Just watched Wise Blood :yabbse-grin: (The Kremlin Letter as well which is just as good but more complex)

Out of the few films of Mr.Huston I've seen this is best imo , certainly his most original. The dialogue definitely reminds me of P.T plus its darkly funny. Also for some reason Hazel reminded me of Daniel Plainview in the end of CMBB lol. Wondering if P.T is watching Wise Blood every night like he did with Sierra Marde.

Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Fernando

Jesse Plemons & David Warshofsky Join Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master'
from theplaylist.

Yes, we can hardly believe it, but Paul Thomas Anderson's untitled religious cult flick aka "The Master" is indeed back on track and moving full steam ahead with two more actors coming aboard joining Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix in the film.

Variety reports that "Friday Night Lights" star Jesse Plemons and veteran character actor David Warshofsky have added their names to the cast. The film centers on Lancaster Dodd (Hoffman), who returns from WWII and starts a religion not unlike Scientology, taking Freddie Sutton (Phoenix), a former alocholic under his wing. Plemons is set to play Dodd's son, while Warshofsky take on the role of a detective.

For Plemons, the young actor is making big strides into Hollywood. He popped up in "Paul" earlier this year, and has a role in next year's "Battleship" but this will add some prestige to his CV. As for Warshofsky, he's a "Hey, it's that guy" actor and he also had a small role in "There Will Be Blood." You'll see him next in Miranda July's "The Future."

No word on yet on any of the female roles that last we heard had Madisen Beaty, Amy Adams, Lena Endre and Laura Dern in contention for Mary Sue, the Master's wife and the daughter Elizabeth. But that news should come very soon as "The Master" will start shooting in June.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Quote from: polkablues on May 31, 2011, 03:23:02 PM
Landry!

Yep, love it. Can anyone who read the earlier draft confirm that Hoffman's character's son and a detective were part of it?  (No spoilers please.) I remember all the casting speculation for his wife/daughters but didn't realize there was a son (nor a detective) involved.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

It's been a few months, but I don't remember the son being a particularly big part - about as large as the daughter roles really. I don't recall a detective role, but as I said it's been  while, and we know the script has evolved considerably since then.

Exciting stuff!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

Yes! This keeps getting better and better! Maybe PTA can win her the Oscar Lynch couldn't: cheese is made from milk.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

matt35mm

Quote from: Sleepless on May 31, 2011, 04:49:09 PM
cheese is made from milk.

That is such a disturbing way to illustrate your point.

Stefen

P Heat

Quote from: P Heat on May 09, 2011, 02:59:14 PM... :yabbse-grin: and Laura Dern  for the win.
knew it. Lena Endre wasn't a bad idea though
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Stefen

Laura Dern is perfect PTA casting.

It's really exciting knowing there is a PTA movie being filmed right now. It's actually happening.

Who is the cinematographer? IMDB lists Elswit. I kind of warmed up to the idea of PTA working with a new DP and was curious about the result, but if it's Elswit, I'm just as excited.

theyarelegion

Quote from: Stefen on June 01, 2011, 05:15:48 AM
It's really exciting knowing there is a PTA movie being filmed right now. It's actually happening.

yeah! fucking great casting...that jesse plemons kid could be PSH's son. in the last script the son was called Val if I'm remember correctly?