TOP TEN 2000

Started by modage, May 12, 2003, 12:58:35 PM

modage

as long as we're reminicing about years past, lets see if anyone can remember THIS far back.  heres what i remember...

almost famous
requiem for a dream
traffic
the virgin suicides
high fidelity
wonder boys
the emperors new groove
gladiator
crouching tiger, hidden dragon
amores perros
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek237

1. Wonder Boys

.....meh, all's I care about is #1. 2000 wasn't a particularly good year any way.

Jeremy Blackman

1. Dancer in the Dark
2. Requiem For a Dream
3. Traffic
4. Unbreakable
5. American Psycho
6. Best in Show
7. Chuck and Buck
8. Jesus' Son
9. The Cell
10. Nurse Betty

godardian

Let's see if I can muster 10...

1. Humanite (Bruno Dumont)

2. Beau Travail (Claire Denis)

3. The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppolla)

4. The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen (Friedkin)

5. Requiem for a Dream (Aronofsky)

6. American Psycho (Harron)

7. The House of Mirth (Davies)

...I'll have to think on the last 3.

I actually had my top ten list for this year published by a Portland, OR weekly alternative paper I was writing freelance for at the time. Wish I could find it...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

The Silver Bullet

01. Requiem For A Dream
02. Dancer In The Dark
03. Traffic
04. American Psycho
05. Almost Famous
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

phil marlowe

1 - crouching tiger, hidden dragon
2 - almost famous
3 - traffic
4 - high fidelity
5 - o brother

i really need to see yi yi and you can count on me.

godardian

Quote from: The Silver Bullet01. Requiem For A Dream
02. Dancer In The Dark
03. Traffic
04. American Psycho
05. Almost Famous

Yes! Dancer in the Dark was on mine, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

The Silver Bullet

TOP TEN OF THIS CENTURY SO FAR

01. Punch-Drunk Love [2002 | Paul Thomas Anderson] A+++
02. Amelie [2001 | Jean-Pierre Jeunet] A+++
03. The Royal Tenenbaums [2001 | Wes Anderson] A+++
04. Requiem For A Dream [2000 | Darren Aronofsky] A+++
05. Moulin Rouge [2001 | Baz Luhrmann] A+++
06. Dancer In The Dark [2000 | Lars von Trier] A+++
07. About Schmidt [2002 | Alexander Payne] A++
08. Traffic [2000 | Steven Soderbergh] A++
09. The Quiet American [2002 | Phillip Noyce] A++
10. The Pianist [2002 | Roman Polanski] A+

Pointless lists are [in the immortal words of the Beach Boys] fun, fun, fun.
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

godardian

Quote from: The Silver BulletTOP TEN OF THIS CENTURY SO FAR

05. Moulin Rouge [2001 | Baz Luhrmann] A+++

08. Traffic [2000 | Steven Soderbergh] A++

I'll agree with everything but those two. I think Traffic's all right, but overrated. Moulin Rouge- or any of Luhrmann's films- I just can't stand.

The Silver Bullet

I understand. Neither film is for everyone, much more so Rouge. Love or hate, hit or miss.

The way I argue the case of Moulin Rouge with anyone who hated it with a passion is this. I don't try to convince them to like it, because I don't think that can be done. I just try to get them to acknowledge that Luhrmann has, for better or worse, reinvented the movie musical [you can see it in Chicago, and it has opened doors for all these new musicals to come out also] and in that respect, although they may hate the movie, they can appreciate that it is a very important film in terms cinematic history. Which I think it is.

You see? Or not?
  • A hare.

MrBurgerKing

Nice list, The Silver Bullet.. Unfortunately, I don't think you have the facts correct. Chicago was in production long before Moulin Rouge!

The Silver Bullet

Not in production. It was in pre-production long before Moulin Rouge. It didn't get the green light until after Rouge was released.

Or so is my understanding of the matter.
  • A hare.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MrBurgerKingUnfortunately, I don't think you have the facts correct. Chicago was in production long before Moulin Rouge!

Moulin Rouge hit screens in August 2001. Chicago started production (filming) in December 2001. Draw your own conclusions.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

Indeed.

Chicago was in the planning stages for a long while, it needed something to give it a nudge, and the success [in saying success, I mean the fact that it was even released in the first place] of Rouge was one of the factors in Miramax's greenlighting the project.
  • A hare.

godardian

Quote from: The Silver BulletI understand. Neither film is for everyone, much more so Rouge. Love or hate, hit or miss.

The way I argue the case of Moulin Rouge with anyone who hated it with a passion is this. I don't try to convince them to like it, because I don't think that can be done. I just try to get them to acknowledge that Luhrmann has, for better or worse, reinvented the movie musical [you can see it in Chicago, and it has opened doors for all these new musicals to come out also] and in that respect, although they may hate the movie, they can appreciate that it is a very important film in terms cinematic history. Which I think it is.

You see? Or not?

Reasonable enough. Entirely apart from the quality of the films, Chicago- which I liked- probably got made because of the commercial success of Luhrmann's film.