Leo as Teddy?

Started by Gold Trumpet, September 12, 2005, 01:03:36 PM

Gold Trumpet

The non-actor I find Dicaprio usually to be, there is no way he'll able to pull off playing Teddy Roosevelt the way he did Howard Hughes (or somewhat) in The Aviator. That performance was a miracle for a mostly shotty career. Also, someone rename Martin Scorsese Vincente Minnelli. I'm convinced that's the filmmaker he is channeling these days.

Oddly enough, I'm currently in the middle of reading the mentioned biography to be adapted.

Paramount Raises "Theodore Roosevelt"
Posted:   Sunday September 11th, 2005 4:46pm
Source:   Variety
Author:   Garth Franklin  

Paramount Pictures has optioned the Pulitzer Prize-winning Edmund Morris book "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" and will develop it for Martin Scorsese to direct and Leonardo DiCaprio to star as the 26th U.S. president reports Variety.

Pic will chronicle the formative years of Roosevelt as he reinvented himself from a slight and privileged New York politician with a Harvard degree to the burly commander of the Rough Riders, a track that would lead him to the New York governorship, the vice presidency and the White House, when William McKinley was assassinated.

Nicholas Meyer is writing the script. Meyer says"...We start at 25, as he begins to transform himself through sheer force of will from this asthmatic, nearsighted 125-pounder to this Sherman tank of a man so tough that he once got shot on the way to make a speech and completed his talk, bleeding with a bullet in his chest".

Ghostboy

Terrible casting.

Sure, he could put on the weight and do it, and probably do it well. But why go to the trouble when he'll never be as good in the role as someone else might from the outset?

soixante

I'm taking a wait and see attitude toward Leo.

The book is outstanding.  It really brings TR and his times to very vivid life.  I recommend it to everyone.  It won the Pulitzer in 1979, and Ronald Reagan liked it so much he invited its author, Edmund Morris, to spend lots of time at the White House so he could write a Reagan biography.

The material is a good match for Scorsese.  It deals with a character who must overcome severe asthma, which Scorsese can certainly relate to.

It is too bad they couldn't get John Milius to write the script, as he has written and directed two films that feature TR, Wind and the Lion and Rough Riders.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Myxo

Quote from: GhostboyTerrible casting.

I don't like Decraprio. Why is Scorcese so drawn to use him in everything? Has he considered that maybe one of the reasons he can't win a directing Oscar has to do with casting? Before everyone jumps down my throat, really think about that. Gangs of New York and the Aviator were both good movies but I really think someone other than Decaprio might have made for a more gritty film. I've never thought of him as a man. Has anyone else noticed that? No matter how much makeup they slap on him, he still looks like a 16 year old boy.

Gamblour.

I disagree. I think the reason they didn't win Scorsese oscars is because they're just not incredible works. They're pretty fucking good, but not amazing. And I think Leo was really good in Aviator, it was Hughes' younger years, so I bought his age for the role.
WWPTAD?

Kal

Quote from: Myxo
Quote from: GhostboyTerrible casting.

I don't like Decraprio. Why is Scorcese so drawn to use him in everything? Has he considered that maybe one of the reasons he can't win a directing Oscar has to do with casting? Before everyone jumps down my throat, really think about that. Gangs of New York and the Aviator were both good movies but I really think someone other than Decaprio might have made for a more gritty film. I've never thought of him as a man. Has anyone else noticed that? No matter how much makeup they slap on him, he still looks like a 16 year old boy.

Thats stupid. Leo did a great job in The Aviator and everyone can critize him and say whatever they want, but he was good.

And with that assumption you are putting Di Caprio in the same plate with Robert de Niro. Is he also the reason why Scorsese didnt win the Oscar before with his movies? Dont think so.

I actually like Di Caprio. I think he has proved he can handle a variety of characters and I like that he is working so much with Scorsese. I have no doubt that Infernal Affairs will kick ass and change everyones perception of him too.