I saw the Dirk Diggler Story yesterday...

Started by Link, February 02, 2004, 08:02:58 AM

Link

The only thing I hold against him is that he hasn't used the guy who played Reed in The Dirk Diggler Story in one of his feature films.  That guy is huge and doofy looking!

Pubrick

speakin of doofy looking fools, has anyone seen Cigarettes and Coffee? man that dude who is talking to PBH almost ruins the damn movie, can he close his mouth???? the whole time it's like sumone is pulling down his lower lip. it's effing distracting and stupit.

(been wanting to get that off my chest for a while)
under the paving stones.

kotte

Quote from: Pspeakin of doofy looking fools, has anyone seen Cigarettes and Coffee? man that dude who is talking to PBH almost ruins the damn movie, can he close his mouth???? the whole time it's like sumone is pulling down his lower lip. it's effing distracting and stupit.

I didn't even think about that. I think he works...

Pubrick

he looked like a goddamn fish, and his eyebrow action didn't help either.
under the paving stones.

kotte

Quote from: Phe looked like a goddamn fish, and his eyebrow action didn't help either.

Haha, yeah well...act alongside Baker Hall and you'll look as fishy as he did.

SoNowThen

So for those who have seen it, is Cigarettes And Coffee amazing, or is it just "that's a decent short film, it's nice to see where he started"?

Because even watching the Polanski shorts on the CC dvd, I thought one was quite good, 2 others were fairly good, and the others were interesting but nothing special. Maybe I'm just not a fan of short films...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kotte

Quote from: SoNowThenSo for those who have seen it, is Cigarettes And Coffee amazing, or is it just "that's a decent short film, it's nice to see where he started"?

Because even watching the Polanski shorts on the CC dvd, I thought one was quite good, 2 others were fairly good, and the others were interesting but nothing special. Maybe I'm just not a fan of short films...

I wouldn't say amazing...but very good. It's fairly pretentious (The Word :) ) but exciting.

phil marlowe

kotte

Quote from: phlmrlwepretentious? why?

Well, we've had a discussion about what that means. To tell you the truth, I don't know. I just get a feeling of self-importance. I like it. I think it's good but that it tries to run deeper than it is...

Hell, even the man himself calls it pretentious.

Pubrick

i guess it's a silly little movie about the first thing PT ever noticed while doing absolutely nothing.

the idea of the movie is that, before u do anything, u hav to smoke/drink sum coffee. it's obvious why he's embarassed by it now, u know, u don't use ur most profound material on ur first proffessional short. but u get the impression at the time, he did think it was the most profound thing.
under the paving stones.

molly

i have a theory that creative people do lots of stuff just as an experiment, like: What will happen if i do_______________?
writers read a lot, they read lots of books that really suck, to see what was the factor of that, so they could avoid it. In the end we see a finished product, but we don't want to know how much of really hard work is behind it. I've read in some magazine that pharmaceutical industry usually tests 5000 substances before gets to the right one. It's not some epiphany, or it's LIKE epiphany, but after you do a lot of work. Film students here make lots of movies that to me look like a pile of shit, but they say they are more experiments with light and equipment in general. They are NOT meant for the ordinary audience.

Link

Quote from: Pspeakin of doofy looking fools, has anyone seen Cigarettes and Coffee? man that dude who is talking to PBH almost ruins the damn movie, can he close his mouth???? the whole time it's like sumone is pulling down his lower lip. it's effing distracting and stupit.

:lol!:  :lol!:  :lol!:

soixante

Making short films is like a corporation doing R & D -- Research and Development.  I remember seeing Scorsese's short NYU films, and seeing glimpses of talent, but I didn't feel that I was watching the work of a genius.  It took a few films for him to hit his stride.  Tarantino started directing a low-budget feature, which he abandoned half-way through.  Even if he was disappointed in the results, QT learned a great deal from it.  It is better to make a film, any kind of film, just to get your feet wet, rather than sitting around theorizing about film (which is good up to a point, but you gotta lay it on the line sometime).
Music is your best entertainment value.

Pozer

He's the cop from Rez dogs right?

mogwai

Quote from: poserismsHe's the cop from Rez dogs right?
why do you ask if you already know the answer? pfft.