Nick Cave

Started by phil marlowe, February 01, 2003, 07:37:46 AM

phil marlowe

Just heard it all the way through a couple of times and i absolutely loved it. Cave is still in down to eath mood (security, mariagge, etc...) as he has been for the last couple of records, but with a slight touch of the ol' days. And as allways is the songwriting top-notch. Though not excatly matching the quality of the two previous masterpieces. But definatly one of the best songwriters today.

I'd like to hear you guys thoughts. Have anyone heard it?

Ghostboy

I've heard two songs, Bring It On and (I think) I Still Love You (or something like that). They sound great. Cave is one of my all time favorites...I took to see the first show of his last tour in New Orleans, and it was one of the best live performances I've ever seen.

That said, I do wish he'd take a trip back down memory lane and infuse his lovely ballads with some of that blue-fueled fury of his early stuff -- not necessarily Birthday Party hard, but just early Bad Seeds...still, can't argue. And I love that album cover, I hadn't seen it yet.

phil marlowe

Yeah, it's true that that we've missed the fury of his later albums on the new'er ones but there's actually a couple of track on Nocturame that has that "fury".

And totally agree with you on your thoughts of the album cover. His covers are allways great i think especially boatmans call ( the album! the album!)

Here's a couple of covers:

[/b]

budgie

Good interview I read last weekend if you're interested. The reviews I read for the album were mixed, but I fancy it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,885692,00.html

Ghostboy

Just picked up Nocturama. I think about five of the songs are fairly forgettable (after only listening to it once, mind you), but there are some others that are really good and a few that are classics. Of course, Baby I'm On Fire is the best. I really like the sound of the album too, a little less polished.

I really want to see the video for Bring It On. It sounds incredible...

I was in pre-production on a film last summer that ended up falling through due to its immense size and cost, but I was going to try and get through to Cave to see if he would be in it. I'd still like to make it at some point, though...I wonder if he'd be open to looking at an indie project. I know he's done some films before (only one I've seen is Johnny Suede).

Ghostboy

Coming out this very Tuesday:

From the official website:
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds release a DVD on 3rd May 2004. The Videos is a collection of twenty promotional films, including classics as The Mercy Seat, The Ship Song and Where The Wild Roses Grow (featuring Kylie Minogue). The DVD includes two videos directed by Bad Seed Mick Harvey (Deanna and Wanted Man) as well as Anton Corbijn's video for Straight To You and many directed by long time collaborator John Hillcoat. The Videos is a vivid portrait of one of the most critically acclaimed songwriters of recent times.

Featuring introductory links by the band themselves, it provides an informative, provoking, illuminating and passionately intimate journey through some of the very best of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds videos.

Tracklisting
1. Stagger Lee
2. Where The Wild Roses Grow (with Kylie Minogue)
3. Into My Arms
4. Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For?
5. Henry Lee (with PJ Harvey)
6. Red Right Hand
7. Loverman
8. Do You Love Me?
9. Deanna
10. The Ship Song
11. Tupelo
12. In The Ghetto
13. Jack The Ripper
14. What A Wonderful World (with Shane MacGowan)
15. Straight To You
16. The Mercy Seat
17. The Weeping Song
18. The Singer
19. I Had A Dream Joe
20. Wanted Man

The only video of his I've ever seen is In The Ghetto, so I'm looking forward to delving into this.

Also, this thread is sadly lacking in content. Any other fans here?

godardian

I like Nick Cave quite a whole lot and have many of his albums. The last few have seemed so similar (uniformly good, but SO similar) that I haven't run out to buy them. Last one I have is Boatman's Call.

I'll buy the DVD just for the "Henry Lee" video, apparently filmed when he and PJ Harvey were still a couple years ago (you can tell in the video, which is the definition of elegant simplicity in the music video format).

I'm extremely fond of Murder Ballads and also like The Firstborn is Dead... I also have the Birthday Party's "hits" compilation and have read his novel, which is very Southern-Gothic.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

phil marlowe

i want to get this - especially for do you love me and where the wild roses grow, the weeping song is very cool too

he should have done a video for o'malleys bar - that song is just great

mogwai

i have the limited edition cd of nocturama and there's the "babe, i'm on fire" video (15 minutes long) on the other disc. worth picking up.

rustinglass

will this come out on region two? there should be a "curse of milhaven" which I think is their most violent song.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

Nick Cave's been on a roll since '01.

New double album's due next month. Go here to hear bits of a few songs. Sounds good and energetic, and I like the choir backup...but with two CDs to fill, I hope we get at least one really raw, bloody, bluesy song to compliment all the balladry.

mogwai

NICK CAVE AND THE HOLLYWOOD SEEDS

A screenplay written by Nick Cave is being made into a film. The film "The Proposition", which tells the story of two brothers in conflict, features a star line-up including Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Danny Hutson, John Hurt, David Wenham and Emily Watson. The original screenplay was written by Nick Cave and is directed by long time collaborator John Hillcoat.

Ghostboy

I was so worried about this album, afraid that Nick Cave would take another step towards tedium, but Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus is a big step up from Nocturama (which wasn't at all bad, but simply a relative minor effort), and continues more directly (and expands on) the dark gospel revelry of No More Shall We Part.

Part of the reason why it's an exciting listen is that The Bad Seeds themselves seem more enthused...the instrumentation on this album is really great, and the London Gospel Choir is terrific touch. While on Nocturama, Cave seemed a few steps ahead of everyone (almost as if they were bored by the songs he was writing), the whole band seems to be working in concert here (but I miss Blixa).

So far, Cannibal Hymn (breathtaking) and Abattoir Blues (the song) are the most outstanding...but I've only had the album(s) for about eighteen hours.

evaderhead

this is my favourite one from him
You'll see me one more time if you do good,
and you'll seeme two more times if you do bad.

mogwai