Phantom Thread - Interviews

Started by velociraptor, November 27, 2017, 11:50:34 AM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Drenk

"Unlike so many of his peers, Anderson has managed to extricate himself from the ravelled web of reference and transcend the anxiety of influence."

Good line.
Ascension.

Fuzzy Dunlop

The Bill Simmons podcast is an all-time great PTA interview. The best in many years, better then WTF. It's great to see PTA out of his cagey, vague answers mode.

The real bombshell: He uses fucking Microsoft Word to write his scripts  :shock:

©brad

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on January 04, 2018, 02:27:15 PM
The Bill Simmons podcast is an all-time great PTA interview. The best in many years, better then WTF. It's great to see PTA out of his cagey, vague answers mode.

The real bombshell: He uses fucking Microsoft Word to write his scripts  :shock:

Haha I couldn't believe that either. How does he write dialogue? I assume he doesn't center align at all?

Jeremy Blackman

I think there are screenplay templates for Word.

Fernando

Quote from: modage on January 04, 2018, 09:45:49 AM
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/why-director-paul-thomas-anderson-may-be-the-best-hope-for-mature-hollywoodmovies/article37473794/

The Golden Globes burn is  :bravo:

And so another myth has been clarified:

...one whiz kid up-and-comer finishing just his third feature spoke with confidence bordering on wild arrogance, saying he wasn't yet sure if he was "the type of guy who'd want to run the world like Spielberg or retreat to a mansion in London like Kubrick. I haven't got it figured out yet."

"I didn't say that," Paul Thomas Anderson clarifies, nearly 20 years later, now on the cusp of his eighth feature, the gothic romance Phantom Thread.

"I was being led on by a certain reporter doing the story saying, 'What future do you see? Would you like to be like Stanley Kubrick? Or would you like to be like Steven Spielberg?' And then I go, 'I don't know!'"

haha I actually pictured him saying that.

STB

Does anyone have audio/video of the recent Q&A he did with Alan Parker?

Fernando

According to the link below, PTA will be on Kimmel on the 11th.

Th 1/11: Annette Bening, Paul Thomas Anderson, Sylvan Esso

https://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

Lewton

Quote from: Fernando on January 08, 2018, 12:42:13 PM
According to the link below, PTA will be on Kimmel on the 11th.

Th 1/11: Annette Bening, Paul Thomas Anderson, Sylvan Esso

https://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

I predicted an appearance on Colbert's show, but I'm still surprised that something like this is actually happening. He had that quick interview on Jon Stewart's show a while back, but IIRC, nothing else in the late night realm.

Drenk

Ascension.

modage

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/who-is-phantom-thread-actress-vicky-krieps.html

Interesting bit I hadn't read before. Potential Spoilers (for a deleted scene)

QuoteDo you remember what you shot on your first day?
Yes, very much. It's not in the movie anymore, but the movie used to begin with a church where Reynolds would discover Alma by chance, and it was so weird and so scary. Because we didn't have trailers, I was sitting in this little pub somewhere in the English countryside knowing, "Okay, this is my first day, my first scene." Then I got a letter from [Day-Lewis as] Reynolds, and flowers, and it was just too much. I did exactly what I just told you now: I just went very quiet and very small. I became this creature that doesn't need much and doesn't have much. She just is, and tries to just be.

I wonder if the restaurant scene was part of additional shooting later on after they decided to ditch the Church meeting scene. OR -- and this is the more interesting option -- if they just snipped this Church scene in the edit and the restaurant scene is actually their second meeting, but plays like their first. That would be fascinating and also give a totally different read on their behavior in that restaurant scene, maybe to explain why they're acting kinda puppy-dog-ish around each other is because they already met in Church. (Can anyone with the script confirm?)

Also interesting to note that The Master had a handful of different introductions between Freddie and The Master and the initial one where Joaquin sneaks on the boat and kinda meets Dodd got cut so that he doesn't meet him until he wakes up the next morning.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

Quote from: modage on January 11, 2018, 06:33:55 PM
That would be fascinating and also give a totally different read on their behavior in that restaurant scene, maybe to explain why they're acting kinda puppy-dog-ish around each other is because they already met in Church. (Can anyone with the script confirm?)

The script I have is very close to the finished film, and the church scenes are unfortunately not in it.

modage

Quote from: Drenk on January 11, 2018, 03:31:49 PM
PTA — NERDIST PODCAST
https://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-paul-thomas-anderson/

Listening to this now. So far the biggest bombshell is that PTA hasn't even heard Aimee Mann's last album. 😳😢

Also: SPOILERS

Quote from: PTAWanting to make a movie about a relationship, that really focused on that, and having [DDL] involved in that was just one of the couple things you have on a piece of paper. And so we talked about ideas. We had a character that was strong-willed and self-contained and possessed and cranky and was artistic by nature so it would be...The idea was about need. It was about what happens when somebody like that finds himself in a position where they find they're really in love and that they need that love."

greenberryhill

New Interviews with Jimmy Kimmel!