m ward

Started by pete, November 18, 2004, 09:12:00 PM

pete

this guy kicks ass.  so much ass.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

pete has officially morphed into rudieob
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

I'm totally serious, he sounds a little bit like Greg Brown or Tom Waits, but he's got really interesting arrangements.  He's folksy and melancholy, but not cheesy.  I totally have not heard someone like this before.  Maybe I'm behind.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

Pete is right. M. Ward does kick ass.

He has two albums out- End of Amnesia released in 2001 and Transfiguration of Vincent released on 2003.

I downloaded Poor Boy, Minor Key off of ToV over a year ago and it's become one of my favourite songs.

I dont own either album so I don't wanna act like I know anything else. I only know I've heard and I like it.
who likes movies anyway

mattress man

I think he recorded another album before those two called 'Duet For Guitars #2.'  He's got another one due out soon titled 'Transistor Radio' on the Merge label.  If you like M. Ward and Cat Power, then get the song "Willie Deadwilder" off the new Cat Power DVD, 'Speaking for Trees.'  It's Marshall singing over a M Ward guitar melody for about 18 minutes.

imawombat

agreed!  i don't have any of his albums, but saw him on tour with conor oberst and the guy from "my morning jacket" last month-and he totally  blew me away.  i'm glad to hear that the albums are good!
these things do happen