Jim Sheridan (plus In America)

Started by Pubrick, August 10, 2003, 10:44:31 AM

xerxes

here's hoping that never takes shape

MacGuffin

Sheridan 'Locked' up for 50 Cent pic
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Jim Sheridan has signed on to direct gangster movie "Locked and Loaded" for Paramount Pictures and MTV. The film, which stars rapper 50 Cent, is the first to fall under a three-year, first-look deal the studio struck with Interscope Geffen A&M chairman Jimmy Iovine and Eminem manager Paul Rosenberg. Interscope and MTV will be producing with Iovine and Rosenberg producing and Wendy Japhet overseeing for the studio. "Locked and Loaded" tells the story of an orphaned kid who turns away from crime and lands a successful musical career. "The Sopranos" scribe Terence Winter penned the script. "A movie starring 50 Cent and directed by an acclaimed talent like Jim Sheridan is exactly what audiences have come to expect from MTV Films," said MTV Films president Van Toffler. "We're thrilled to be working with our old friends at Interscope and these two amazing artists." Van Toffler is producing along with executive vp David Gale and Heather Perry, Eminem, Dr. Dre and Chris Lighty. Sheridan most recently directed "In America," his semi-autobiographical tale of growing up in a colorful tenement building in New York filled with weird and wacky underground characters. He has also signed on to direct a remake of "Ikiru."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

hahahahahaha 50 cent? hahahahahahahhahaha Jim Sheridan all of a sudden sucks!!! he wants to be Curtis Hanson hahahahahha, what a crock of shit, this is bullshit!!!!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on August 15, 2006, 11:26:38 PM

i've been looking for Sarah Bolger's performance of Desperado online for years and still nothing has appeared since the dvd came out. does anyone know where the hell? what the hell?

on amazon some idiots thought it was the same recording by the Langley Schools Music Project but it's not. another idiot said bolger's recording is superior, and he's right.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Sheridan is keeper of 'Brothers'

Jim Sheridan is in talks to direct a remake of Susanne Bier's wartime drama "Brothers" for Relativity Media.

Sony Pictures will distribute the film in North America. Magnetik Media is handling foreign sales and will be repping the title at May's Festival de Cannes.

David Benioff is penning the remake. The story involves two brothers -- one an officer in the Army, the other an ex-convict -- whose lives are irrevocably changed while one tries to cope with the scars of war while his troubled younger brother, becomes increasingly drawn to the first brother's wife.

Bier's film, which was released in 2004, stars Connie Nielsen, Ulrich Thomsen and Nikolaj Lie Kaas and revolves around two brothers, one of whom is sent to war in Afghanistan.

Sources close to the project say that Sheridan's involvement is expected to attract three A-list actors to the cast in the upcoming weeks.

Relativity's Ryan Kavanaugh is producing alongside Michael De Luca and Joni Sighvatsson.

Sony's Rachel O'Connor will oversee the remake for the studio.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Gyllenhaal, Maguire eye 'Brothers'
Duo in talks for Sheridan remake
Source: Variety

Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal are in negotiations to star in Jim Sheridan's "Brothers" for Relativity Media.

The film, a remake of Susanne Bier's Danish-language war drama, centers on a man (Maguire) who is sent to fight in Afghanistan while his black-sheep brother (Gyllenhaal) cares for his wife and child.

Bier's film, which was released in 2004, stars Connie Nielsen, Ulrich Thomsen and Nikolaj Lie Kaas.

In the remake, which David Benioff is writing, Gyllenhaal would play the younger brother and Maguire the older one.

"Brothers" is scheduled to begin shooting in early November.

Relativity's Ryan Kavanaugh is producing alongside Michael De Luca and Joni Sighvatsson.

Relativity most recently produced the Russell Crowe-Christian Bale starrer "3:10 to Yuma," which recently opened at No. 1.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Natalie Portman to star in 'Brothers'
Actress joins Gyllenhaal, Maguire in drama

Natalie Portman has signed on to star alongside Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal in Jim Sheridan's love-triangle drama "Brothers" for Relativity Media.

Based on Susanne Bier's 2004 Danish-language film, story centers on a man (Maguire) who is sent to fight in Afghanistan while his black-sheep brother (Gyllenhaal) cares for his wife (Portman) and child.

Connie Nielsen ("Gladiator") played the wife in Bier's version, speaking in her native Danish.

David Benioff ("The Kite Runner") is penning the remake. Relativity's Ryan Kavanaugh is producing alongside Michael De Luca and Joni Sighvatsson, with shooting scheduled to begin in early November.

Portman will star in the upcoming films "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium," "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "My Blueberry Nights."

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

IN AMERICA SPOILERS

I still can't figure out why the very end of In America was so powerful.  Was the girl crying when she said "say goodbye to Frankie" but holding back her tears?  That line always makes me teary, though I still don't fully understand its significance in the film or why it's placed right there and then, or why the girl insisted on saying it then.  Anyways, one of the most genuine and powerful moments on film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Relativity says aye, 'Claudius'
Jim Sheridan to co-write, direct

TORONTO -- Relativity Media has picked up the rights to Robert Graves' classic Roman Empire-set novel "I, Claudius." Jim Sheridan will write the screenplay with longtime collaborator Nye Heron and direct as well.

Graves' 1934 novel recounts the internecine plots and counterplots surrounding Claudius, the fourth emperor of Rome who ruled from 41-54 A.D. The stuttering and handicapped Claudius, born into a murderous, imperial family, used his cunning mind and rivals' misjudgment to not only survive but eventually become one of Rome's greatest emperors.

Relativity CEO Ryan Kavanaugh will produce alongside Sheridan. Relativity's production president Tucker Tooley will serve as an executive producer.

The novel was adapted into the 1937 film of the same name, directed by Josef von Sternberg and starring Charles Laughton. But it is best known as the basis for the 1976 BBC miniseries, "I, Claudius," that starred Derek Jacobi as the stuttering Claudius, Sian Phillips as the scheming Livia and John Hurt as the dissolute Caligula.

The tale of Claudius has intrigued talent and execs for decades, and last year the rights to the book, repped by RWSH and AP Watt, were won in a heated bidding war by Scott Rudin, with Leonardo DiCaprio and writer William Monahan attached. That deal ultimately fell through.

CAA-repped Sheridan, known for dramas such as "In America" and "My Left Foot," worked with Relativity on his latest movie, the upcoming "Brothers" starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jim Sheridan fingers mob boss
Director to tackle FBI informant Whitey Bulger

After tackling rough Irish-themed true-life subjects in "In the Name of the Father" and "The Boxer," Jim Sheridan is turning his attention to notorious Boston mobster and FBI informant Whitey Bulger.

Sheridan will direct a script he and partner Nye Heron are penning based on "Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob," a book written by Pulitzer Prize-winning Boston Globe reporters Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill.

The film will be produced by CP Prods. partners Michael Cerenzie and Christine Peters and Brian Oliver of Arthaus Pictures. Financing comes through a blend of equity and debt raised through CPM Global, an enterprise run by Cerenzie, Peters and David Matsumoto. They hope to begin production later this year.

Bulger rose to prominence in Boston as a feared enforcer and built the Winter Hill Gang into an enterprise that did everything from selling drugs to procuring guns for the Irish Republican Army. His rise was helped by John Connolly, a childhood pal who became an FBI agent. Bulger disappeared 14 years ago, creating a major law enforcement scandal.

"This is a story of a corrupt system and about how an angry guy became the second most wanted man after Bin Laden," Sheridan told Daily Variety. "Black Mass" was first optioned by Miramax for Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. After it languished at Miramax, Oliver optioned it in 2006 but then had to sit on it when the Oscar-winning "The Departed" become a definitive Boston Irish mob film.

"Departed" producer Graham King is also delving into Bulger territory, having optioned the life story of John Martorano, a former enforcer for Bulger's gang who killed 20 people and then turned government informant when he learned his bosses were informants (Daily Variety, Dec. 15).

Brett Granstaff will be exec producer of the "Black Mass" pic with CP Prods. prexy Graham Kaye and Chuck Rock. Mark Mallouk is co-executive producer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

My Left Foot is an amazing film. So good, and held so much resonance for me that I almost never want to see it again. I have slight cerebral palsy on my right side and I used to have a lot of friends who had it much worse  than I did since I could still walk and talk and think compentantly (I just stomp on my right side and can't use my right hand) and other of my friends who had this affliction could not. I almost turned it off a couple of times  it got so emotional for me.

Anyway, really really well done film. Check it out but make sure you aren't too sensitive about the subject matter like I was.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Daniel Craig to star in thriller for Morgan Creek

Daniel Craig has committed to star in a psychological thriller titled "Dream House," marking Morgan Creek's first movie under the reign of Rick Nicita and its first production start in 3 years.

The film which starts shooting January 25, will be directed by Jim Sheridan. Craig plays a New York publishing exec who relocates his family to a small New England town only to learn that their new home was the scene of a vicious murder.

Nicita, a longtime CAA topper, became co-chairman of Morgan Creek one year ago, sharing that title with James G. Robinson. Morgan Creek fully finances its films, which are distributed through Universal.

Craig is about to star in a Broadway play titled "A Steady Rain," by John Crowley. Hugh Jackman is his co-star. Craig is best known for his James Bond films.

"Dream House" was written by David Loucka. It will be produced by James G. Robinson along with David Robinson, Daniel Bobker and Ehren Krueger.

Sheridan has been nominated for six Oscars. His previous films include "My Left Foot" and "In The Name of the Father."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Daniel Craig set for 'Dream House'
Psychological thriller begins filming Jan. 25 in Toronto

TORONTO – Daniel Craig may shoot his James Bond films at the Pinewood Shepperton studio in Britain, but he'll soon be at Pinewood Studios Toronto to star in the Jim Sheridan psychological thriller "Dream House."

The Morgan Creek feature is booked to shoot from January 25 to April 9, 2010 at the Toronto studio now managed by Pinewood Shepperton.

As part of its five-year sales and marketing pact with the Pinewood Studios Toronto investors, Pinewood Shepperton is not expected to shift projects from its British facilities to Toronto.

But the British studio giant does earn fees based on the revenue performance of Pinewood Toronto Studios, which is steadily filling up since Ontario recently sweetened its film tax credit for foreign producers.

In "Dream House," Craig plays a man who moves his family to an quaint town, only to discover his house is haunted by former inhabitants who were murdered there.

Also shooting at Pinewood Studios Toronto to the end of the year is John Dowdle's "Devil," part of M. Night Shyamalan's three-film financing/production partnership with Media Rights Capital.

Skeleton FilmWorks