Adaptation

Started by Jake_82, January 08, 2003, 05:30:40 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Derek237Is this actually going to be a movie, or is it just a sick joke?....

a sick joke that obviously took you for a ride...  :)

i got no insert at all in mine, scan yours

Ernie

Quote from: auroraDid anyone get that little piece of paper on the inside of the case about 'wanting the DVD to have no clips on the case' ??

Yea, I got that thing.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: auroraDid anyone get that little piece of paper on the inside of the case about 'wanting the DVD to have no clips on the case' ??

yeah i got that too.  got my copy used for 5$ so i figured it was a promotional copy or something.

it's on columbia tristar home entertainment stationary and it reads...

***from the desk of robert stephenson

clair... please use a dvd case without these clips.  we don't have anything to clip in.  can you find out about pricing and a time frame for this?  thanks, bob***

yeah that was weird when i opened the dvd but still very amusing.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pozer

yeah, that was good stuff

aurora

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: Derek237Is this actually going to be a movie, or is it just a sick joke?....

a sick joke that obviously took you for a ride...  :)

I knew it would be fake I just wanted to make sure ;)

Derek237

Yeah same here. It's not as if when I saw it I jumped up screaming "OMG! THE 3'S GONNA BE A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  :lol:

CollinBullock

I rented a DVD copy and then just copied it on to VHS, so now I own my own VHS copy of it.  I'm cool
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

Quote from: bigideasyeah, but it doesn't seem like a film that i would watch over and over......and the dvd is bare bones, right?

Yes.. but its a great piece of cinema...

I guess its kindof funny that Charlie actually couldn't adapt the book so he came up with this "script".

Now, not to say that I don't like it.. thats not true, I love it to bits.. its really really goddamnned good...  But.. I just wish I knew how the fuck he wrote this, when he came up with the idea of his twin brother and such..  Charlie thinking WAY outside of the box.

And I guess I can't in my brain think of the end of the movie being something that donald "wrote" because obviously Charlie wrote it all.. but I look at it as the begining was the actual struggle of Charlie and when Donald states that its "missing something" thats still Charlie writing but its just his way of finishing the script since there isn't anything interesting about the struggle of Charlie adapting this book.....

And I accept that its just a big masturbatory joke and I laugh because I know it is, but in reality.. thats whats really great about it because he is showing how "successful" movies do cheat and use things like a deus ex machina...  

I had quite the movie going experience when I watched this because I had already loved charlie's work in 'Being J.M.' and didn't truthfully know that he didn't have a twin brother untill the ending of the movie I assumed he never really existed.

Wow.. that was really random.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

oakmanc234

Cage was sooooooo good in this. He was really something as two of my favourite characters of the year. Kaufman twins: one a depressed nuerotic who looks like he's in pain all the time, the other is laid back, cheery and confident.

I felt so sorry for Charlie in much of the film e.g. the scene where he's standing around on the set of 'Malkovich' and waves to Cusack, who kinda snubs him. Then the same to Keener, who barely notices him. The he looks over at Donald whose easily chatting up the makeup girl. I saw a younger me in Charlie, right there.

Quick question: Am I the only one who didn't feel any sympathy for Streep's character? I personally just didn't like her in it. Everyone seems to love her in it.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

godardian

Quote from: oakmanc234

Quick question: Am I the only one who didn't feel any sympathy for Streep's character? I personally just didn't like her in it. Everyone seems to love her in it.

I actually did, until the "this is Donald's script in action" part, where she's not meant to be a "real" character. Why didn't you like her? I think when we saw her feeling trapped and then disappointed with her idea of escape, she was quite sympathetic; in addition, she really represented almost a controlling metaphor for the film as far as the "reality" of her character was intact.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

©brad

i luuuuuuuuv miss streep. especially when she goes "oh I want to be an ant. they're so shiny!"

children with angels

On a second watching I realised how bored I was getting in the scenes with Streep in. It's not that they're badly written or acted or directed, it's just that the story didn't interest me as much as Charlie's, and his parallels with it.

However: I did feel sympathy with her in her final scene, where she says something like, "I want to be new. I want to go back to before it all got fucked up. I want to be a baby." I thought that was a beautiful line.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsOn a second watching I realised how bored I was getting in the scenes with Streep in. It's not that they're badly written or acted or directed, it's just that the story didn't interest me as much as Charlie's, and his parallels with it.

However: I did feel sympathy with her in her final scene, where she says something like, "I want to be new. I want to go back to before it all got fucked up. I want to be a baby." I thought that was a beautiful line.

Given that it takes place in the unreal/symbolic "Donald-written" section of the film, I thought that line, in addition to really being a beautiful thing, spoke to the frustration of the screenwriter at no longer being at the beginning of a project, not having that blank sheet and all the optimism it represents.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

children with angels

That's a cool reading: I really like that...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

tpfkabi

since that posting, i did see it again at the dollar theater. i enjoyed the film a whole lot more that time. i think part of it was because i actually started writing a screenplay since the first time i watched it.

did anyone get the dvd? i just wondered if this "superbit" is all it's cracked up to be.......and a general review of the disc itself. is there any word of a special edition? i can't remember if BJM was released in more than one version

oh....if you like Kaufman, rent Human Nature. this film got generally bad reviews, but i love it. i really gained a new respect for Tim Robbins. he's so great in all the various dinner scenes........i love the all white death room! and the blood dripping from his head
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.