Matt Is Doing A U.S. Road Trip And Wants To Meet YOU!

Started by matt35mm, June 12, 2009, 09:20:12 PM

no, i was commissioned.
new orleans is more worth visiting than mobile, for future reference.
and it's all the same mural..

Sleepless

I moved to Austin 2 weeks ago (which is why I've been too busy to post much the last month or so), so definitely let me know when you're here. And RK, we should totally hang out at some point anyway.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Sleepless on July 03, 2009, 07:36:07 PM
I moved to Austin 2 weeks ago (which is why I've been too busy to post much the last month or so), so definitely let me know when you're here. And RK, we should totally hang out at some point anyway.

Definitely!  What part of town did you move to?

Sleepless

I'm living near Loop 1/360 - Barton Creek area? Still getting the apartment sorted and exploring the area, but loving it so far. Anything you recommend checking out?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

matt35mm

Huzzah!  The more the merrier!

I can't wait!  Again, it should be December sometime that I'll be in Austin.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Sleepless on July 07, 2009, 08:58:21 PM
I'm living near Loop 1/360 - Barton Creek area? Still getting the apartment sorted and exploring the area, but loving it so far. Anything you recommend checking out?

I'm pretty close to that.  Ben White and South 1st area here.

If you haven't eaten at Polvos yet, do that!

Sorry Matt, you can have your thread back now.

matt35mm

I'm also doing a UK/Europe tour + Iceland before doing this ridiculous road trip.

Just for kicks, I thought it would be fun to finally write out all the planned destinations between 2 days from now until mid-December (about 140 days).  Some of it will probably change and I may have to cut some cities if I need to slow down, but it's pretty close.

bristol, ENGLAND
birmingham, ENGLAND
manchester, ENGLAND
liverpool, ENGLAND
leeds, ENGLAND
newcastle, ENGLAND

edinburgh, SCOTLAND
glasgow, SCOTLAND

alvdal, NORWAY
oslo NORWAY

stockholm, SWEDEN

berlin, GERMANY

milan, ITALY
venice, ITALY
rome, ITALY
bologna, ITALY

brighton, ENGLAND (rest for a couple of weeks)

reykjavik, ICELAND

USA - arriving around September 20th
boston, MA
somewhere in CT
new york city + nearby jersey
philadelphia, PA
richmond, VA
raleigh, NC
asheville, NC
athens, GA
atlanta, GA
columbus, GA
nashville, TN
bowling green, KY
indianapolis, IL
chicago, IL
bloomington, IN
st. louis, MO
springfield, MO
denton, TX
fort worth/dallas, TX
austin, TX
san antonio, TX
santa fe, NM
albuquerque, NM
seattle, WA
olympia, WA
portland, OR
eugene, OR
san francisco/oakland, CA
santa barbara, CA
los angeles, CA

Then if there's any money left, Lake Tahoe, CA/NV

I am prepared for the possibility that I may lose my mind.  All I can do is laugh.  It is also totally possible that I will give up and go home at any point, either due to lack of funds or exhaustion, but I will try to stick to this.

SiliasRuby

please don't give up. Stay determined. There's so much of LA Mac and me want to show you.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Reinhold

i recommend New Haven connecticut if you haven't nailed down a location... the city sucks except for the frequent free screenings at yale and a couple god bars. the yale campus is worth seeing for the architecture, too.

it's also 3 hours via commuter train directly to NYC. i know for a fact that it's cheaper than amtrak and it's about as fast as driving if you consider traffic.

edit: that's "good" bars.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

The Perineum Falcon

While you're in Atlanta, you should DEFINITELY ride MARTA.

And, of course, the REMIX:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

matt35mm

matt35mm

And I cannot get the song out of my head!  I can't wait to get to Atlanta!

Stefen

I'm jealous. I would love to do this. How do you afford it?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

I got lucky because the U.K. exchange rate was really bad for the American dollar when I first came here, which means I had to save up extra money before I left the U.S. to prepare for that.  Then once I got here the exchange rate went pretty quickly into my favor.  The difference was that basically, within about 6 months, it went from the almost the worst ever rate to the best ever rate in terms of dollar worth over here.  Plus I live real cheap.  So I have extra money now.

A lot of it is student loan money though.  But that's the easiest kind of loan to pay back, and it's not a crippling amount of debt.  And I'm not using credit cards or anything so there won't be additional debt; just a relatively small debt that I would have had as a student anyway.

And I don't feel like a jerk for having the extra money because I had to take some time off school and work extra to save up for what I thought would be a much higher cost of living, which it turned out not to be.

jtm

when you're traveling the I-5 between Eugene, OR and San Fran, CA,  stop at Redding for the best meal of your life... vintagedowntown.com