life lessons

Started by cowboykurtis, May 08, 2003, 03:18:35 PM

cowboykurtis

have anyone of you seen scorsese's short film off of the new york stories compilation --it's really nice. nick nolte is great -- scorsese doesn't disapoint -- have any of you seen coppola's or allen's short off of new york stories? im curious to see them -- i think this was released on dvd all little while back...
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffin, in another thread,I have to make a special mention to Scorsese's "Life Lessons" segment in "New York Stories." I would put that in the top five of my picks. At around 45 minutes, it is actually better than a lot of films that clock in at twice that length, and it's easily one of Nick Nolte's best performances. Beautiful camerawork. An amazing script by Richard Price. Great use of music, especially Procol Harum's songs.

The DVD comes only in Full Frame. Fuckin' Touchstone/Disney bastards.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

WHAT?!! I was gonna buy this, but no more. Fuck that shit. Why do companies do this? Is it that hard to do a proper ratio release of films? They did the same thing with Christmas Vacation.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MacGuffin, in another thread,The DVD comes only in Full Frame. Fuckin' Touchstone/Disney bastards.

what garbage -- how are the other films on it?
...your excuses are your own...

godardian

It's all full-frame.  A real disappointment.  I was really looking forward to this DVD release, and then they pull this shit. I put it on the minute it arrived in my mailbox, and turned it off almost immediately thereafter. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet. I've seen it on VHS a number of times, and that was full-frame, of course, but to me, one of the main reasons to release it on DVD is to restore it as well as you can.

I wonder if there's some explanation why this is full-frame, but other Touchstone releases aren't? I'm weighing whether or not to write a letter of protest, like that ever does any good.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

It'd be nice to at least have an explanation as to why studios keep putting out dvd's in full frame. I mean, the space is on a dvd, why don't they put both? That way, we can watch the movie proper, and all the other STUPID BRAINLESS FUCKING MORONS can watch their pan and scan.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Keener

I enjoyed Life Lessons. Shame about the DVD. I hate people who complain about widescreen.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

soixante

I was eager to buy the DVD of Life Lessons, and I bought it the first day it was released.  I didn't bother to look at the specs on the back.  Of course it will be widescreen, I thought.  Unpleasant surprise when I slid it into my DVD player.

Touchstone has released a bunch of cheesy late 80's - early 90's films on DVD's lately.  What I don't understand is how stuff like Scenes From A Mall, An Innocent Man and One Good Cop merit widescreen treatment, while New York Stories doesn't.  But that's just me.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Keener

Quote from: soixanteI didn't bother to look at the specs on the back.  Of course it will be widescreen, I thought.  Unpleasant surprise when I slid it into my DVD player.

That's happened to me alot. If it doesn't say FULL SCREEN on the cover I usually forget to check and that's led to occasional disgust.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

dufresne

that short film got me into Procul Harum.
There are shadows in life, baby.

abbey road

a whiter shade of pale- the song that ick nolte keeps on playing- i downloaded it twice- and even though it was the same song one verison said lynard skynard sang it another said john cocker- so i was wonderin if anyone knew which one it was.
thanx
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

MacGuffin

Quote from: abbey roada whiter shade of pale- the song that ick nolte keeps on playing- i downloaded it twice- and even though it was the same song one verison said lynard skynard sang it another said john cocker- so i was wonderin if anyone knew which one it was.
thanx

Neither, it's Procol Harum. Joe Cocker did do a cover version, but that's not the one in the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

abbey road

o k- thanx so much.
-chad
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"