Portishead....

Started by NEON MERCURY, October 19, 2003, 09:56:04 PM

phil marlowe

Quote from: rustinglassout of season is a great album I used to listen to it all the time. It's where I took my xixax name out of
rustin glassman?

rustinglass

that was my original choice, yes
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

phil marlowe

what can isay... i'm sharrrp

Ghostboy

I just bought Out Of Season today. It's so wonderful to hear her voice again...that's my first impression. About to give it a second listen here in a sec.

Pubrick

i've had Out of Season (downloaded) for like a year already, did it just come out in reality or sumthin?

it's great tho. hella catchy especially rustin man, it's like the hum never ends.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

It's been out for over a year, but it just got its official stateside release. I don't know why I waited until now, though. I always forget what CDs I need to buy as soon as I set foot inside the store.

phil marlowe

vb p, your avatar scares me.

i saw them live this summer and it was really good. beth gotta be the most fragile creature ever, looking really small on that stage. one of my friends gave her a smoke(i think) after the show, they talked and she gave him a nice long tight hug

classical gas

i only have their self-titled album, is dummy really much better?  the live in nyc sounds intriguing too, as i've seen them live on snl and they were incredible.  the lead singer reminded me of old blues ladies.  
btw, is it portis-head, or porti-shead.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Dummy is my favorite Portishead album.

Numb...such a good song...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

NEON MERCURY

...the  ultimate portishead song is "roads" from the live album ...the song makes me feel like my face is melting ............

mogwai

portishead are recording their first album in eight years.

the band have nearly completed their third lp, according to founding member geoff barrow.

he said: "we're actually into it as we speak. we took some time off for christmas, but generally we're doing another record."

barrow told bbc 6 music that he was surprised people thought the band had split up, saying: "we've just had our heads down really, we've never actually broken up, or parted, or whatever."

he added: "so for us it just seems, even though we haven't played for years, we still see each other and write - we just haven't released a record for a long time."

as previously reported on nme.com, portishead - who won a mercury music prize in 1995 for their debut album 'dummy' - will join massive attack for a gig at the bristol academy (february 19) to raise money for oxfam's tsunami appeal.

however, the band are not expected to play any new material at the show, which will feature singer beth gibbons playing with an acoustic backing.

other acts on the bill include the coral and led zeppelin singer robert plant. a website has been set up at crisisinasia.com.

GoneSavage

good news that's sure to benefit the lives of millions

Stefen

Gimme the update on the new album, chumps. This is the only site i visit. Has it leaked yet?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

So the new album was "almost finished" in january, it's now almost september. Think it will be released this year?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ABKman18

hopefully, Metacritic still has them in the TO Be Announced section in 2005.  "Crossing my fingers"