Stupid
Title
Suggestions

Purpose
Of
Limiting
Lists
Survey
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: halo_onMy friend told me I should listen to the White Stripes' new album. So, I did. I didn't like it at all. He said, "You are crazy. It rules. You must not have very good taste."

--

I pretty much looked at him and said, "No, I don't like it. I didn't say it was bad, just that I don't care for it."

--

So, he says, "There are some bands you should force yourself to get used to. They produce good music whether you like it or not."

I'm a huge, huge Radiohead fan. I also listen to Blur, Sigur Ros, Spiritualized, Mogwai, Supergrass and alot of other "progressive-thinking-twenty-something" bands. For some reason alot of these new punk bands grate on my nerves. I do see the talent in the music, but I just don't like it. For some reason, I feel like a social outcast or something. Like, no matter what I should automatically be a Strokes/White Stripes/Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Kills/Vines fan by default. Does anyone feel the same way? Like somehow we've been programmed to think that if our peers like this music, I should listen to it too? Like it us fucking Marijuana or something.

;)

Thats my rant for today.

I personally prefer tight, succinct, melodic and propulsive POP stuff like White Stripes and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, because it fits my ideal of what popular music should be a lot more closely than Radiohead and Spiritualized, et. al., not that some of those bands haven't done their share of good work.

I fucking hate bandwagons, though. The reason your friend gave, that you should "force yourself" to like some bands because their acclaim renders them unexceptionable, is ludicrous. I do think it's a good idea to be able to articulate why you do like something, if only to use the things you love as a catalyst to find out some things about yourself.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.