SANDLER: The definitive thread

Started by oakmanc234, October 25, 2003, 01:21:57 AM

oakmanc234

I think its about time we gave the man himself an ultimate thread. From his skits to his comedy CD's to his movies/upcoming projects, this'll be the 'Sandman' source.

So...I'd say thats that mattress man....
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

TheVoiceOfNick

Sandler is awful... he used to be funny, but now all of his characters are the same... sure, PTA proved that the boy could actually act... but too bad he hasn't decided to do more of that in his career...

Fishbulb

It's weird that you say that Sandler keeps playing the same character, because I noticed recently that pretty much every character he's ever played in a movie has a first name that ends in "-y" or "-ie."

Billy Madison- Duh
Happy Gilmore- Duh again
Bulletproof- Archie Moses
Wedding Singer- Robbie Hart
Waterboy- Bobby Boucher
Big Daddy- Sonny Koufax
Little Nicky- Duh thrice
The Animal- Townie (hehe, that's how he's identified on the IMDB)
Punch-Drunk Love- Barry Egan
Eight Crazy Nights- Davey (and Whitey)
Fifty First Kisses- Henry Roth

Even in obscure movies like "Mixed Nuts" (Louie) and Going Overboard (Shecky Moskowitz), the pattern holds. The only ones that don't work are
"Mr. Deeds", but that's because it was a remake and they kept the character name from the original movie; and "Anger Management" (Dave Buznick, but again, that script wasn't originated by Sandler)

As far as "Fifty First Dates" goes, it looks OK, but he really needs to vary these movies a little bit. Every movie he does has a cameo by Rob Schneider, a scene where an old person does something "wacky", a scene where someone gets the shit beat out of them (Ok, this time it's Drew doing the beating instead of Adam, but still...)

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: FishbulbIt's weird that you say that Sandler keeps playing the same character, because I noticed recently that pretty much every character he's ever played in a movie has a first name that ends in "-y" or "-ie."

Billy Madison- Duh
Happy Gilmore- Duh again
Waterboy- Bobby Boucher
Big Daddy- Sonny Koufax
Little Nicky- Duh thrice

That's because if a name ends in "ie" or "y", it usually means that the person is a little kid or retarded... its a cute way moms call their kids when they're young... that's because little Adamy is always playing little kids (mentally)...  :)

godardian

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: FishbulbIt's weird that you say that Sandler keeps playing the same character, because I noticed recently that pretty much every character he's ever played in a movie has a first name that ends in "-y" or "-ie."

Billy Madison- Duh
Happy Gilmore- Duh again
Waterboy- Bobby Boucher
Big Daddy- Sonny Koufax
Little Nicky- Duh thrice

That's because if a name ends in "ie" or "y", it usually means that the person is a little kid or retarded... its a cute way moms call their kids when they're young... that's because little Adamy is always playing little kids (mentally)...  :)

We called my youngest brother Timmy for his entire childhood... now, after 10 long years of adamant insistence, he's pretty well re-trained us all to call him "Tim." NOT "Timmy."  :lol:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

Sandler should drop the whole Happy Madison thing. Sure, it's making him the shit load of money he wants to make, and the fanbase is huge.. but he's great with serious material. He needs to experience with more good stuff.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: CinephileSandler should drop the whole Happy Madison thing. Sure, it's making him the shit load of money he wants to make, and the fanbase is huge.. but he's great with serious material. He needs to experience with more good stuff.

I completely agree... i'd love to see Sandler in more serious roles... of course, we all remember what happened to Jim Carrey when he wanted to do more "serious acting" with The Majestic...

MacGuffin

Adam Sandler Will Click Around His Life
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Adam Sandler will next star in Click, a comedy that centers on a workaholic architect who finds a universal remote that allows him to fast-forward and rewind to different parts of his life. Complications arise when the remote starts to overrule his choices.

Production on the Columbia Pictures/Revolution Studios project is set to begin in April. The script was written by Bruce Almighty screenwriters Steve Koren and Mark O'Keefe. No director is currently attached.

Sandler is currently shooting the James L. Brooks-directed cross-cultural comedy/drama Spanglish.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I think Sandler is GREAT... I love all his movies... the first ones are great and the latest ones too...

He has done already PDL with PTA and I heard he was also gonna act in the next Tarantino project, Inglorious Bastards (?)

Raikus

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: CinephileSandler should drop the whole Happy Madison thing. Sure, it's making him the shit load of money he wants to make, and the fanbase is huge.. but he's great with serious material. He needs to experience with more good stuff.

I completely agree... i'd love to see Sandler in more serious roles... of course, we all remember what happened to Jim Carrey when he wanted to do more "serious acting" with The Majestic...
I never got why so many people bashed The Majestic. I get why it didn't make a lot of bank (due to everyone not wanting to see a non-comedic Jim Carrey). But when I finally saw Majestic I thought it was a quaint, nicely done picture.

Hopefully Eternal Sunshine will follow the pattern of the Truman Show rather than the Majestic with its box office.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

molly

I saw Anger Management a week ago. It's good for watching around Christmas when people feel sad and lonely. He has such a soft voice - should have been a veterinarian or a pediatrician...

TheVoiceOfNick

Anger Management was a good movie... but how could it not be when Jack is in it.

molly

Actually John Torturro was my favorite. Jack's good also.

oakmanc234

I enjoyed 'Anger' too. I was watchin the DVD recently with the commentary and it was mentioned that PTA came to the set in the scene where Sandler is yelling at Nicholson for the whole Heather Graham incident. And Sandler mentioned in another scene 'I look like Barry Egan there'. Just thought I'd share.....
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

coopxr

What do you think the best Sandler movie is?
Personaly i think Billy Madison and The Wedding Singer are his best. Looking forward to 50 First Dates.