Judd Apatow

Started by modage, December 12, 2005, 12:30:16 PM

modage

put this towards the top of my Most Anticipated 09.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Bethie

This kid! I can't stop watching his youtube videos now.

Singing comic joins Apatow clan
18-year-old Bo Burnham eyed for comedy project
By Borys Kit

Sept 25, 2008, 12:00 AM ET
Bo Burnham is getting ready to sing for his supper.

The songwriting comedian, who turned 18 in August, is in negotiations with Universal to write and create the music for a comedy that Judd Apatow will produce. Burnham also could star in the project.

The film is being described as a sort of anti-"High School Musical," though it is not a parody.

Burnham will co-write the script with Luke Liacos.

Burnham began recording his songs in his bedroom with a camera resting on a stack of books a couple of years ago, initially with the aim to put them on YouTube as way to keep in touch with his older brother, who left for college. He began gaining a following, with some songs going on to snag millions of hits on YouTube, Break.com, MySpace and CollegeHumor.com

Burnham, who recently graduated from an all-boys Catholic school in Danvers, Mass., solidified his comedic status with a standout performance at this summer's Just for Laughs Festival in Montreal, where he hooked up with Apatow. Burnham, repped by Gersh and 3 Arts, recently signed a four-album deal with the record arm of Comedy Central and taped a special for the channel.

Apatow is in preproduction for an October start on Universal and Columbia's "Funny People," which sees him directing Seth Rogen, Adam Sandler, Jonah Hill and Eric Bana.
who likes movies anyway

modage

A JUDD APATOW SLASHER MOVIE?
Source: CHUD

I've been avoiding interviews at the Sundance Film Festival because I'd rather just see a bunch of movies while I'm here. But I couldn't turn down the chance to talk to a couple of choice people, one of whom was Bill Hader, who is here with (the exceptionally great) Adventureland. I ended up chatting with Bill for almost a half hour, and we talked about a ton of stuff. We started talking about horror and slasher films, and Bill dropped a bomb on me: he and Saturday Night Live writer Simon Rich have written a slasher movie for Judd Apatow.

What would an Apatow-produced slasher film from Rich and Hader be like? Says Bill: 'It's partially Straw Dogs meets Halloween meets Home Alone meets Monster Squad.' It's hard to argue against that.

'I don't know if it's even going to get made,' Hader told me. 'Judd met with us and said "I want to do a horror movie with you. I want to see you in a slasher movie."'

The film will be a horror comedy, and while Hader danced around giving away too much, he did describe it to me like this: 'It is definitely about guys nowadays, that idea that you watch fucked up shit on TV, how violence in our culture - this sounds really hoity toity - you watch fucked up reality shows, I love true crime shows. The idea of that thing coming to your house, and what do you do? I would shit my pants. That's basically what the movie is about. What if that guy decided to come to your house? What would you and your dipshit friends do about it?'

Let's hope we find out soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

New Feeling

does anyone know of an address I might send correspondence to Mr. Apatow at?

Kal

Apatow Productions
11788 W. Pico Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90064

New Feeling

Stefen

Be honest. You were looking for his home address. :yabbse-cool:

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

I know his home address but I signed a contract so I can't give it out.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

Quote from: SiliasRuby on February 25, 2009, 12:15:45 PM

Gay gigolos have contracts?

SiliasRuby

Quote from: kal on February 25, 2009, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on February 25, 2009, 12:15:45 PM

Gay gigolos have contracts?

Yes.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

haha kal ! you got your connections I give you major props for that, but Silias can pillow talk them, and that's gold.

MacGuffin

BILL HADER ENTERS THE HOUSE OF JOEL: LATEST ON THE APATOW SLASHER FILM
Source: CHUD

When I broke the story that Bill Hader was writing a slasher film to be produced by Judd Apatow, people rightfully got excited. And since then Bill has kept in touch and now I have some new minor but cool details about the film, which seems to be moving along at a nice pace.

The current title of the film is House of Joel, and Hader would play Joel himself. In this case Joel isn't the slasher but the person possibly getting slashed (unless there's a crazy twist. And you never know...). The screenplay, a draft of which Hader just handed over to the good people at Apatow, is being co-written with Simon Rich, a writer at Saturday Night Live.

When I say current title it's because I've been told by Apatow Productions that they're still playing with it; a previous title was When A Stranger Calls A Dude, which I absolutely love, but Bill explained why it wouldn't work: the killer never calls Joel.

At Sundance Hader explained the basic premise: 'It is definitely about guys nowadays, that idea that you watch fucked up shit on TV, how violence in our culture - this sounds really hoity toity - you watch fucked up reality shows, I love true crime shows. The idea of that thing coming to your house, and what do you do? I would shit my pants. That's basically what the movie is about. What if that guy decided to come to your house? What would you and your dipshit friends do about it?'

House of Joel is set up at Universal, which is a long ways from Hader telling me at Sundance that he wasn't sure if the movie would ever get made. While there's no timeline for when production could begin should it get greenlit, Apatow Productions is serious about the movie. I for one can't wait. Hader's a real movie nerd - when I interviewed him for Forgetting Sarah Marshall we spent half our time talking about DVDs and the Criterion Collection - so I don't doubt that the script is funny but also knowing of the genre. Forget Scream IV, I feel like Hader has the market cornered.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

this is my new favorite thing (that doesn't exist yet).

MacGuffin

Universal embraces Judd Apatow
'Funny' helmer signed to three-pic directing deal
Source: Variety

Universal Pictures has kept its key funny guy in the studio fold, signing a three-picture directing deal with "Funny People" helmer Judd Apatow.

While Apatow produces films for other studios, he has never directed a film outside of Universal. Studio opens his latest, "Funny People," today on 3,007 screens.

Apatow made his directing debut on 2005 comedy hit "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," which he followed with 2007's "Knocked Up."

In the process, he has helped reestablish the R-rated comedy and created comic stars of Steve Carell, Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Katherine Heigl, Jonah Hill and Leslie Mann. Rogen, Hill and Mann star in "Funny People," alongside Adam Sandler, Eric Bana and Jason Schwartzman.

Apatow has not yet committed to his next directing vehicle. He writes his films himself, and that process will begin after "Funny People" opens.

Universal chairman Marc Shmuger, who made the Apatow deal with co-chairman David Linde, said that the most rewarding part is the opportunity to continue collaborating with an artist who is still testing his range as a director.

"I feel like we're growing with him and watching him mature as a filmmaker, and that is a thrilling thing to be part of," Shmuger said. "To know he'll direct his next three pictures here is a vote of confidence to our entire organization. It has become a true collaboration and partnership."

Apatow said: "Everyone at Universal has been incredibly supportive of my directing career since day one.I am thrilled I am able to continue that relationship."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Paul Feig, Judd Apatow reteaming
Kristen Wiig starring in Universal project
Source: Hollywood Reporter

BERLIN -- "Freaks and Geeks" creator Paul Feig is reteaming with Judd Apatow, who executive produced and was a writer and director on that series, for Universal's untitled wedding-themed comedy starring Kristen Wiig.

Wiig and Annie Mumolo wrote the screenplay about two women battling to plan their friend's wedding party.

Apatow will produce, through his Apatow Prods. banner, with Barry Mendel. Wiig and Mumolo will co-produce, with Feig serving as exec producer.

Universal vp production Erik Baiers and director of development Maradith Frenkel are overseeing for the studio.

The CAA-repped Feig helmed 2006's "Unaccompanied Minors."

Skeleton FilmWorks