crystal fighters

Started by Pubrick, February 24, 2011, 10:47:16 AM

Pubrick

been a long time since i listened to music really but i've been playing this a lot..

can anyone suggest what else i might like that's been released in the last 2 years based on this?

more info: i like every track except I Love London and I Do This Everyday which are too clubby.. the rest is awesome, which is one of my faves on the album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Fighters
under the paving stones.

Stefen

That song Follow is ridiculously good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Sounds a little like Yeasayer.

cinemanarchist

Try Delorean's last album, Subiza.

Still kind of dance-ish...but they're somewhat similar. I have been listening to that Crystal Fighters album a lot lately and nobody else is doing quite what they do, at least not as well. I agree about Yeasayer.

Maybe Telepahe...
My assholeness knows no bounds.

diggler

you might also like The Tough Alliance.

also Ceo, who's one half of the tough alliance. he released a solo album last year that's a pretty similar sound.

that crystal fighters album is awesome. thanks for turning me on to them.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pubrick

awesome thanks for the recommendations, i'm going to steal some delorean and telepahe and see what the rest of it is like. with tough alliance and ceo i like what they're on about but not so much the execution.. if you know what i mean, i think i need a bit more world-music kinda of flavour to soften the dancey stuff.. which brings me to..

it's funny you mention yeasayer since i was surprised to find barely anyone mentioned Odd Blood in their end of year lists. i also wasn't sure where Crystal Fighters would fit into the scope of xixax appreciation for the same reason since no one listed it either.. not even squeezing in a mere footnote from the grand master of musical appreciation modage (peace be upon his name).

glad to spread the CF love though.. i think maybe what attracted me to them is that the album itself is really ecclectic and creative (not to mention catchy!) which is a hard combination to find in many bands.. not sure where they're going to head with their next release since they covered a lot of ground in this one. as long as it's not the club shit.

so yeah everyone steal STAR OF LOVE if you haven't already.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Quote from: P on March 16, 2011, 12:17:08 AMit's funny you mention yeasayer since i was surprised to find barely anyone mentioned Odd Blood in their end of year lists.

It's because we love being visual and posting covers, but the cover for Odd Blood was the worst ever so we all left it off our year end lists.

Quote from: Stefenberg on July 02, 2010, 01:55:40 PMI think my favorite album of the year is probably Yeasayer's Odd Blood. It has the worst cover ever so I'm not going to post it. EVER. I pretty much like every single song on that album.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

diggler

Quote from: P on March 16, 2011, 12:17:08 AM
awesome thanks for the recommendations, i'm going to steal some delorean and telepahe and see what the rest of it is like. with tough alliance and ceo i like what they're on about but not so much the execution.. if you know what i mean, i think i need a bit more world-music kinda of flavour to soften the dancey stuff.

interesting, because when i first heard that Delorean album i really liked it but felt like it was just a dancier version of Tough Alliance.  Tough Alliance only utilizes the world sound occasionally but as far as melodies and rhythms go i think they have a lot more variety. To be fair, they don't really sound that much like Crystal Fighters.

I was surprised to see that Crystal Fighters are a good live band. The album sounds so produced i didn't think it would translate well but the live stuff sounds even better.  Yeasayer is another really good live band, saw them this past summer and while the singer is a little rough live the band has a lot of energy.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

Quote from: Stefenberg on March 16, 2011, 12:25:11 AM
Quote from: P on March 16, 2011, 12:17:08 AMit's funny you mention yeasayer since i was surprised to find barely anyone mentioned Odd Blood in their end of year lists.

It's because we love being visual and posting covers, but the cover for Odd Blood was the worst ever so we all left it off our year end lists.

Quote from: Stefenberg on July 02, 2010, 01:55:40 PMI think my favorite album of the year is probably Yeasayer's Odd Blood. It has the worst cover ever so I'm not going to post it. EVER. I pretty much like every single song on that album.

7000! w00t!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen