voting for the Xixax Dekapenticon

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 05:05:36 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: SoNowThen

And I agree with JB's post above.
Everyone should keep in mind that we're doing an updated list each year, and it'll be interesting to watch things change as our members see many more films.

Well, the people who vote next year are going to be different than the people who voted this year.  I don't see the list changing that much except for the addition of films from this year.

??? That makes no sense. I know this year alone I saw Conformist, Walkabout, and Brazil for the first time, and they all made it on my list. Just last year, Reservoir Dogs was in my top ten, but got replaced by Jackie Brown (which will be replaced with Kill Bill next year) during a recent Tarantino-fest I did. I hope to fuck other people are gonna change, as well as bone up on old classics, or else there's not much hope for this board...

Between now and a year from now, there are going to be new members.  I can imagine their votes will be very similiar to the ones this year.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

it would be nice if ppl changed.

my top 10 changes every year.

most ppl don't watch as many movies as they claim to, if they did, no one would hate so many classics.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: NEON MERCURY"EVERYTHING THAT IS OLD IS NEW AGAIN"

..it will channge from time to time.....from people catching up w/older films and .........seeing nnewer ones also.....

hereis a perefect example......21 Grams.....for soem reason if i/most people would have seen this it would be on that last list ..I KNNNOW IT IS THAT GOOD.  ALL OF THE SIGNS POINT TO YES.....but sinnnnce it is limited release....nnot everyone can see it yet.......possibly later theartrically or onn dvd...just give it time and year to year the list will channge.......

Gold Trumpet

I have no problem with changing my entire perspective on movies and putting films I've only just seen on these lists. There were a bunch of films I was trying to see at the last minute to be able to actually nominate, but I just couldn't do it. One film, which I don't know of anyone here seeing yet, was only seen by me like a few months ago and surged to the top of my list. I've seen it prolly 5 times since that initial viewing. By next year, I'm hoping I have seen a couple films in particular so I can nominate them. I have that high of expectations for them.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: godardianIt's the most bearable of all six...
no way..Return of the Jedi!!!

one reason:

actually this is a really good list, it's just fun to find the holes in it.

SoNowThen

so when can we start voting for the finals, who to, and how will the number system work (top movie to be listed as #1 and given ___ points, and so on)?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: godardian
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFor the final list, do we vote for 10 or 15? I'm just curious

I thought we got to vote for 15... I hope.

Yes. Deka=10. Penta=5.

edit: oh yeah. SoNowThen is right. You vote for 10. We pick 15.

We'll announce (soon, hopefully) when the voting will begin, and the exact rules for it.

Most likely it will be like this:

1. 10 points
2. 9 points
3. 8 points
4. 7 points
(...and so on)

RegularKarate

We'll announce the Whens and Whos shortly (hopefully)

The point system works like this (in case you don't feel like going back to the first couple of pages)

You send a list of your top 10 in order of "bestness"... 1 being the bestest and 10 containing the least amount of best.

1 will be worth 10 points
2 will be worth 9
... you can figure the rest out...
10 will be worth 1 point

the movie with the most points wins a date with MiXax.

Oooh... and maybe we should do a chat with the top 3 (although it may be too much like the PT-fest we had earlier this year)

SoNowThen

I'm betting it'll be one-third like the PTA fest...

okay, thanks for the info though... I'll be waiting to send away!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i wonder if there will be campaigning to get other films on the list for next years vote.  like a thread devoted to recommendtations like The Conformist or whatever someone feels really strongly about wanting on the list and trying to get more people to see it.  i think that the picks will change in a years time, because ONE) new members, and TWO) the knowledge i had a year ago and what i have now is so vastly different after watching about 300 new films this year, and since i think a lot of people come to this board to get recommendations and find things to watch the list next year will be very different.  i'm just wondering if our final list will end up looking very similar to the Sight And Sound Director Poll, cause i believe most of the 10 if not all are up for final vote.  also, curious as to what the most recent movie everyone voted for was.  like, PDL?  somethign more recent.  i voted for Kill Bill.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02i wonder if there will be campaigning to get other films on the list for next years vote.

Well, we don't want this to get political.  :wink:

SoNowThen

In this, of all things, I'd be willing to politick.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02i'm just wondering if our final list will end up looking very similar to the Sight And Sound Director Poll, cause i believe most of the 10 if not all are up for final vote.  .

6 from the Critics Poll
- 2001, Vertigo, Citizen Kane, Godfather, 8 1/2, Singin' in the Rain

6 from the Directors Poll
- Seven Samurai, Vertigo, Dr Strangelove, 8 1/2, The Godfather, Citizen Kane

coffeebeetle

Quote from: themodernage02i wonder if there will be campaigning to get other films on the list for next years vote.  like a thread devoted to recommendtations like The Conformist or whatever someone feels really strongly about wanting on the list and trying to get more people to see it.  i think that the picks will change in a years time, because ONE) new members, and TWO) the knowledge i had a year ago and what i have now is so vastly different after watching about 300 new films this year, and since i think a lot of people come to this board to get recommendations and find things to watch the list next year will be very different.  i'm just wondering if our final list will end up looking very similar to the Sight And Sound Director Poll, cause i believe most of the 10 if not all are up for final vote.  also, curious as to what the most recent movie everyone voted for was.  like, PDL?  somethign more recent.  i voted for Kill Bill.

I think campaigning is a great idea!  What better way to get your film(s) on the list?  :)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

RegularKarate

There will be no campaigning... any caught doing this will be banned until the vote is over.