Favourite Lynch Film

Started by phil marlowe, January 21, 2003, 05:10:20 PM

VoiceOver

Lynch is definitly one of my favourite directors. I voted Lost Highway as to me most eloquently externalized the subconscious landscape of the mind, in this case a diseased mind. I went to see it six times in a row when I first saw it and almost everybody I went to see it with at best couldn't make heads or tails of it, while I experienced complete understanding even though I couldn't and to a large degree still can't express it with words. He's one of a kind and I think it's rather sad that someone of his stature has more than once become dependent of French sponsorship to be able to make a movie.

Sigur Rós

It just stroke me that no one chose The Straight Story. This film is a diamond....a true diamond!

Pas

Even more surprising, 4 people voted Elephant Man, which I consider to be a good movie but a terrible Lynch-movie ...

Sigur Rós

Quote from: BoothEven more surprising, 4 people voted Elephant Man, which I consider to be a good movie but a terrible Lynch-movie ...

Yeah, I agree

godardian

Quote from: Sigur Rós
Quote from: BoothEven more surprising, 4 people voted Elephant Man, which I consider to be a good movie but a terrible Lynch-movie ...

Yeah, I agree

It retains much more of the desirable Lynch than Dune, which I'm glad to see nobody has voted for.

I really like The Elephant Man, even considering it as the work of Lynch. I think it works as a Lynch film in terms of visual style.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

You are right, it works visually, with all the factories and everything.

As of Dune, I kind of enjoyed it. I think the book must be read prior to the first viewing of the film. The desert scenes are impressive. I like it better than the TV series.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sigur RósIt just stroke me that no one chose The Straight Story.

How did it stroke you?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinHow did it stroke you?
sigur ros is constantly stroking.  :shock:
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I saw Dune before I read the book or saw the inferior TV series, and I thought it was pretty good. It was a little hard to follow, but was visually gorgeous and had an epic tone to it that worked pretty well. The special effects, with the exception of some of those spaceships, were really quite lovely. It's definitely Lynch's worst film, but I still think it's good (as opposed to the rest of his stuff, which I think is great).

phil marlowe

yeah, dune isnt really on the level of his other works, i havent read the book or anything but i was really let down by the ending. rest of the movie was really good though and it kicked star wars in the photograpy ass, hard. the elephant man is a masterpiece of emotion wich like i havent seen yet. still need to see wild at heart.

Pas

Wild at Heart to me is his funniest... like "laugh out loud" funny, which is pretty rare for me.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: P
Quote from: MacGuffinHow did it stroke you?
sigur ros is constantly stroking.  :shock:

Please, be nice! Sometimes I am stroking it, but not constantly!

freakerdude

Quote from: Pas RapportWild at Heart to me is his funniest... like "laugh out loud" funny, which is pretty rare for me.

You are the first to mention WAH. I am not ashamed to mention that it is my all time favorite movie of it's kind.....by anyone! I really do not like the ending, but the first 9/10 of the movie is a masterpiece of weirdness. I know Cecil B D doesn't like it but I am anxiously awaiting the DVD release....if it happens. It seems there's been a lot of bs corporate crap going on like Twin Peaks set 2 and pilot DVD. :evil:

Damn, I'm the only one who voted for WAH! :onfire:
MC Pee Pants

NEON MERCURY

AK

Eraserhead- The perfection of the disturbing

Lost highway- as some might say...underrated

Mulholland Dr

Ah....someone ever watched this short animation called The Alphabet?
Lynch made it in the seventies...