"THREE COLORS"on DvD

Started by EL__SCORCHO, April 11, 2003, 01:23:34 AM

EL__SCORCHO

I'd heard so many great things about this trilogy that I decided to blind buy the 3 disc set. First of all, I thought three dvd's for 30 bucks on amazon was awesome! The picture quality is great, the sound is great, and the discs are loaded with interesting extras (student films, "cinema lessons" by the man himself, behind the scenes, and more).

Not to mention, the films themselves were fucking awesome. I'm angry at myself for not having seen any Kieslowski films sooner. If anybody here hasn't seen them , I strongly recommend checking these new discs out.

Ghostboy

I just got them. They're grrreeeat.

The Decalogue is supposedly being re-released in special edition format later this year. I think that's Kiewlowski's best work.

He's definitely one of my biggest influences.

MacGuffin

Haven't gone through the commentaries yet, but all the interviews and the Kiewlowski film lessons are pretty great.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I rented Blue from the library last week.  Remarkable film.  I didn't go through all the extras, though, but the Kieslowski film lesson shows what a master filmmaker he is.  I only listened to some of the Anne Insdorf commentary, which is dry but has a lot of facts.

Duck Sauce

My favorite was Blue by far, the music and the flashes of color did it for me.

Recce

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOI'd heard so many great things about this trilogy that I decided to blind buy the 3 disc set. First of all, I thought three dvd's for 30 bucks on amazon was awesome! The picture quality is great, the sound is great, and the discs are loaded with interesting extras (student films, "cinema lessons" by the man himself, behind the scenes, and more).

Not to mention, the films themselves were fucking awesome. I'm angry at myself for not having seen any Kieslowski films sooner. If anybody here hasn't seen them , I strongly recommend checking these new discs out.
Um...I think those were the only Kieslowski films made. Not sure though.
Yeah, I couldn't wait for them to be released on DVD in North America, so I ordered them from Japan on eBay. Been giving me a tiny bit of trouble with subtitles, but they work, and so does the DVD's.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Duck Sauce

I think I read here how Kubrick admired Kieslowski the most. Could somebody go into more depth about the relationship between the two? Thanks

Ghostboy

Quote from: Recce
Um...I think those were the only Kieslowski films made.

Well, aside from The Decalogue (BRILLIANT), he made The Double Life Of Veronique and The City Life (haven't seen that one) and a ton of stuff for Polish TV.

As for Kubrick, I too have heard that he was very inspired by Kieslowski. Here's Kubrick's intro to the screenplay for the Decalogue.

"I am always reluctant to single out some particular feature of the work of a major filmmaker because it tends inevitably to simplify and reduce the work. But in this book of screenplays by Krzysztof Kieslowski and his co-author, Krzysztof Piesiewicz, it should not be out of place to observe that they have the very rare ability to dramatize their ideas rather than just talking about them. By making their points through the dramatic action of the story they gain the added power of allowing the audience to discover what's really going on rather than being told. They do this with such dazzling skill, you never see the ideas coming and don't realize until much later how profoundly they have reached your heart."

Recce

Oh, right. I think I thought it was his only ones cause he made those three, which were really popular and then announced he was retiring, so I got the impression it was his only films. Nevermind, then
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: Recce
Um...I think those were the only Kieslowski films made.

Well, aside from The Decalogue (BRILLIANT), he made The Double Life Of Veronique and The City Life (haven't seen that one) and a ton of stuff for Polish TV.

quote]

Your damn right about The Decalogue! Great shit!