My beater camera

Started by zerocool41, May 04, 2003, 06:06:16 PM

zerocool41

Hey all again..i know i beat this camera issue to death...but i think i've finally come to a plan...I want the panasonic 24p camera..but there's no way i can spend 3500 at this point, and i really don't want to wait a year to start filming.  

Soooooo...i figure, like when i bought a guitar, i start with a 'beater' camera that is under a grand, and can get me going.  This camera will allow me to start filming and experimenting.. Eventually i'll splurge and get a badass cam to make some serious stuff..

Good plan?  

Now, from you all, what should my beater camera be?  I was thinking either the jvc920 or something like that...any recommendations?  or if nothing else, feature that are a must-have even on a beater....for example, firewire capability, black and white, etc..

thanks for putting up w/me
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

BonBon85

Because they're ultra cheap and have decent features I bought one of the zr cameras by canon (I think it's the 45 - too lazy to check). It gots a lot of the features you probably want like manual white balance, black and white, shutter speed control, widescreen, and an external mic jack and headphone jack. My only complaint is that if you do anything serious you'll want to get an external mic because it picks up the motor sounds a lot of the time. You can get them for under $500.

Sal

If you want to start experimenting and filming right away, then I guess going with a cheaper camera at first is the way to go...but it's also taking the money away from the one you want to get.

ReelHotGames

Sak

You probably talked about this in other forums, but why the Pnansonic 24P camera - I can tell you from first hand that the image quality is not near as good as other camera in the price range, the 24p doesn't mean "film look" it just means easier transfer to film if it comes to it, and be honest with yoruself, are you really shooting on DV for a film transfer later? If you are then choose better picture quality and worry about the frame exchange later, go with the Sony VX2000 for under $2000 or the Cannon GL1 if you want to stay under that. And save your money, don't go spending a grand on a "beater" when you can save another grand and buy a much better cam.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

cowboykurtis

why dont you rent?... Also, the GL 1 is one of the shittiest camera i've ever used.  canon cameras are utter garbage -- id rather shoot HI-8 then with a canon. anyway if you're actually going to shoot a well-produced short -- rent the camera and put the rest of the money up on the screen...if you're just using these films for "practice", who gives a shit what camera it is. if their only being viewed in your basement does it really matter the quality of the image?
...your excuses are your own...

Sal

Quote from: michael alessandroSak

You probably talked about this in other forums, but why the Pnansonic 24P camera - I can tell you from first hand that the image quality is not near as good as other camera in the price range, the 24p doesn't mean "film look" it just means easier transfer to film if it comes to it, and be honest with yoruself, are you really shooting on DV for a film transfer later? If you are then choose better picture quality and worry about the frame exchange later, go with the Sony VX2000 for under $2000 or the Cannon GL1 if you want to stay under that. And save your money, don't go spending a grand on a "beater" when you can save another grand and buy a much better cam.

I think you need to stop assuming that people are buying this camera for the "film look."  It isn't film, it doesn't share its large latitude, and people should understand that if they don't already.  However, its image quality compared to the vx2000 is under great debate; some people prefer the ag in lighting situations, some prefer the vx.  It's also important to approach video just like film.   Light it like film, have precise exposure, etc.  When you shoot it like film, the results can be astounding, and I actually hear that as long as you don't overblow the image on the ag, it has more latitude than previous cameras.  The 24fps is like an added bonus.