What kind of G4 should I purchase?

Started by Film Student, April 09, 2003, 11:39:48 AM

Film Student

Quote from: cecil b. demented

film student, what is your budget?

Honestly, if I invest in this, I'm going all out.  That means at this point I'd be saving for a few months, but by the end of the summer I'll be able to afford between $2500 and $3000.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Cecil

thats great, there are rumoured new mac towers comming out at the end of the summer with the new ppc 970 chip (i guess itll be a g5). so if you can afford to wait a bit till august or sept. you will get a kick ass setup. now there are only rumours but theyre very likely. you can check out this site www.appleinsider.com for some details

EDIT: btw, what recce said about ram is right. video is hard on the processor, you need to get the highest processor and all the ram you can basically afford. 512 is good. 1 gb will rock. but dont buy it from the apple store cause they charge an arm and a leg. same goes for extra hard drives

Jeremy Blackman

But seriously, a 400-something mhZ G4 Mac, with 300+ ram can handle anything Final Cut can give it.

I would concentrate more on hard drive space, and maybe get a nice monitor.

Recce

But be careful if you buy your ram seperately. It'll be way cheaper then buying it from apple, but compatible ram is a bit tricky to find. Just make sure it'll work.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RecceBut be careful if you buy your ram seperately. It'll be way cheaper then buying it from mac, but compatible ram is a bit tricky to find. Just make sure it'll work.

And with RAM, you actually usually get what you pay for... for example, there are different qualities of 256 chips. Viking is good, and a few others on macmall.com ....

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Film Student$2500 and $3000.

That is how much the link I posted is about....Definately make sure to get a dual Processor....MacMall is a pretty good source....they will finance it for you too, although I am not quite sure what the interest rates are.

Jeremy Blackman

Film Student, go here. EDUCATION DISCOUNT!

Well, actually, compare prices and it might be the same price as some retailers.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Phil Marlowebut i also heard that the newer XP editions should be quite stabil.

I've heard horror stories about XP not liking peripherals...