this is scandalous, not that godawful song, the thread

Started by Pas, September 15, 2005, 05:57:31 PM

pete

well I've been saying this for a while now, maybe someone will take me seriously here.
conor oberst is a poser, with catchy melodies and blue state politics and clever rhymes (no cleverer than Eminem though) and his is all shallow posturing, trying to subvert "middle class WASP America" by referencing it every other song in mocking tones.  To call him the next Bob Dylan is like when people were calling iverson the next Michael Jordan (though Iverson is much better at basketball than Oberst is at singing).  Not only that his music is just dumb technically, but they're fun to listen to as catchy whiny pop tunes.
Mos Def is a way more likely candidate for the next Bob Dylan, complete with causing a scene in the new york underground, switching to electric guitar, and a shitty film career.
conor oberst is as talented as jack johnson, just with better taste in music.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

The White Stripes could really use a bass player and a better drummer.

Coldplay is a pretty good band (it's way more blasphemous at this point to like them than to shit on them).  So is Death Cab for Cutie.  Jack Johnson is good music for surfers who hit their heads on rocks a few too many times and need something to help them sleep.

Squints has horrible taste.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Perineum Falcon

I don't understand Hard Rock/Heavy Metal.
Why would anyone enjoy being yelled at?

I prefer cover versions of Postal Service songs.

I used to really like Creed.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Reinhold

the dave matthews band hasn't been great since before these crowded streets, and everything from that point back is getting boring if it isn't already.

i know that there aren't really any other dave fans here, but please try to refrain from the "they always sucked" stuff.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pubrick

i'm bored shitless by almost every attempt at "modern rock" -- all that forgettable indie bullshit with no personality beyond their appearance and abysmal lead singers -- including, but not limited to, pretty much everything modage likes.

i can't wait for the whole fad to be DEAD so we can all laugh about it.
under the paving stones.

squints

:yabbse-angry:  pm me a list of a few songs (a mixtape, if you will) polka, since your taste is so impeccable..i'm interested..

Coldplay still sucks
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Quote from: squints:yabbse-angry:  pm me a list of a few songs (a mixtape, if you will) polka, since your taste is so impeccable..i'm interested..

:yabbse-grin:  I didn't mean that to sound mean or anything.  It's just funny to me how every stated opinion of yours that I've seen so far, I disagree with.  I should have put in a winking smiley or something, I guess...

I won't bother with the mixtape either, since it would be nothing but Ryan Adams and Coldplay.   :yabbse-wink:

Quote from: 72TeethThe Xixax Band will never happen...

No, but such a pretty dream to have....

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Gripes

Ozzy Ozbourne is one of the worst musicians I've ever heard.

AC/DC is pure shit.

I can't listen to the Smiths for very long because of how crappy the music sounds.  Morissey's voice is fine, and I prefer his solo stuff... but their music is so bland.

Sublime gets boring.

Deerhoof sucks.

The Beatles aren't worth listening to in their Beatlemania phase.

Jimi Hendrix is amazing, don't get me wrong, but after a while, the songs all sound the same.

Bob Dylan is grossly overrated.

Tool's only good album is Lateralus.

I love their lyrics, but no matter what, I just can't get into the Talking Heads.

"Whatever Happened" was great, but mostly the Strokes put me to sleep.

Guilty pleasures

Andrew WK

Postal Service

Linkin Park

System of a Down

Slipknot

Bright Eyes

Presidents of the United States of America

Tenacious D
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

life_boy

More Musical Confessions:
The Cure is boring in the same way depression is boring.

U2 can't stop poverty, no matter how many half-assed echoy-riff rock records they record (or how much they charge for tickets).

The guys in Death Cab for Cutie look really dumb.  Especially the short, smirking, balding guy with the flat hair that curls on his temples.  

"Dry the Rain" is the only good song on The 3 E.P.'s.

Aimee Mann likes to write the same song over and over again; some times are better than other times...but they're still the same song.

Dave Matthews needs to stop it with the live albums.  When did they become that great a live act anyway?

I have never understood what people seem to love about Automatic for the People.  Does anyone really like the song "Ignoreland" (hey, hey hey hey!)? "Find the River" is a great song, though.  Oh, and apart from "Losing My Religion" and "Texarkana," Out of Time sucks ass.  R.E.M. hasn't had a great, cohesive album that wasn't also terribly uneven since they released Green back in '88.

Despite what Pitchfork Media might claim, the musical world would be exactly the same had Interpol or The Arcade Fire or Animal Collective never come along.  The only difference is a bunch of indie kids might not be pretending to like Sung Tongs.

Tom Waits has a voice like a cow with a smoker's cough (and all the music in the world can't make it any better...or acceptable).

Jazz is dead and has been for a while.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I was with you (especially on U2) until your last two points.

Jazz isn't dead, just underappreciated.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Quote from: WalrusJazz isn't dead, just underappreciated.

And stagnant.  Don't forget stagnant.

mogwai

the rolling stones is the most overrated piece of shite band ever.

U2 will never make an album as good as "achtung baby".

i will never understand people why they like that emo shite.

the bravery: the most shameful thing from u.s.a.

coldplay used to be great but now they're like bee gees or something.

i hope that weezer splits up real soon.

i hope that the osbourne family catches on fire and dies. basically for letting that fucked daughter record music.

cine

- i like all bands that start with vowels

- any song over 10 minutes long is the best song ever

- mozart was overrated

- i love bands that have kickass album covers

- the beatles were only good in the early 60's

- i LOVE tom jones

- roy orbison and buddy holly thought they were cool cause of their glasses. they were not cool then and they're not cool now.

- i think local indie bands are great and the fact that they all sound the exact same is even greater

- the next bob dylan is dead

- despite what everyone says, beethoven's 9th symphony is NOT his best work. its a toss-up between his 3rd and 5th.

wowowowow, fucking excellent thread.

i disagree with almost everything neon said, agree with what pete said (it sounds kind of lame but i've also refered to mos def as the next bob dylan,  mostly because i got into mos def before i got into dylan), i also think linkin park has good stuff (sans voices they can be decent) but here are some of my contributions on the music scene overall:

-sonic youth has lots of stuff i don't like, but when they're good, they're pretty amazing. that's kind of their charm i think

-there's always good music.

- there is no longer a moral dilemma in getting an album or a complete discography off the web.

-grunge fans tend to be hostile.

-french music is cute, but it sucks.

-local bands are tedious.

-music videos do miracles to some songs (ie  coffee & tv. crap song, awesome video)

-fa(d)(n)s can make me hate a band.

- based on what i read on the article i posted at the ipod thread,  music snobs are  a different sort of racists.

-people don't seem to really care about music.

-something taz  said once ,  songs can be simple but not stupid. he was talking about the white stripes.

- brazilian music kicks ass (not bossa nova)

-compilations/mix tapes/soundtracks can be an artform.

-i think every genre turns into pop once we hear it.

-about the libertines , that Stripes quote: "It just isn't that cute anymore."
context, context, context.