The 78th Annual Academy Awards: Winners List on Page 7

Started by MacGuffin, January 05, 2006, 12:48:07 AM

A Matter Of Chance

I am upset because 'Crash' got so many nominations. I would rather have, like, 'The Constant Gardener' than 'Crash.'

Rudie Obias

CRASH?  are you shitting me?  and no nominations for 2046 or wong kar-wai?  WTF?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pozer

Quote from: Fernando on January 31, 2006, 02:02:48 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on January 31, 2006, 07:59:07 AM
ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
BATMAN BEGINS
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA
THE NEW WORLD

This is the category I'm most interested in, two Mexicants got a nod, Lubezki for TNW and Prieto for BM, a morning radio show was already invalidating everybody and giving the accolades to Brokeback, so my question to the ppl who have seen both (pete, pozer, samsong?, cowboykurtis?, mod), is that so? I find hard to believe that BM would be way better than TNW in terms of cinematography.
They both of course deserve the highest of all accolades for cinematography, but personally my vote goes to The New World.  And it's hard to believe that the same guy did The Cat and The Hat.

Kal

Its so funny how we are all so upset with Crash... the movie its really not bad... but after critics and everyone talking like its the best movie ever... its impossible not to be dissapointed and think that everyone is retarded.

Anyways... Mel Brooks is probably cursing on why he made the stupid Producers movie anyways. I havent seen it yet, and I want to very much. But Box Office was a disaster, and it didnt get a single Nom. Not even for music!

polkablues

Quote from: kal on January 31, 2006, 04:14:19 PM
Its so funny how we are all so upset with Crash... the movie its really not bad...

You're right except for the word "not".
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Hey, at least Crash wasn't nominated for Cinematography, the only nomination it would have deserved.  No, that would have made too much sense.

modage

Quote from: Cinephile on January 31, 2006, 09:41:47 AM
Quote from: modage on January 31, 2006, 09:00:40 AM
someone please explain who george clooney is supporting in syriana? or how the fuck jake gyllenhall is supporting heath ledger in brokeback? because i will fight you.
people love clooney, and are you asking why jake is supporting and not leading? or are you asking why jake was nominated at all? cause the academy doesn't make those decisions, you know.. the filmmakers typically do that to avoid splitting the votes. so its really irrelevent to complain about that.
- clooney picks up the oscar hat trick for directing and writing g&g and acting in syriana. suck on that, maude.  :twisted:
i like clooney and gyllenhall and i'm glad they're nominated.  but the politics involved in putting Clooney in supporting so he'd have a better chance is TOTAL FUCKINB BS>  my question was: if he is supporting, WHO IS HE SUPPORTING?  because even ensemble films like syriana have 'leading' actors unless this is the first in history where they're all supporting each evenly.  gyllenhall is as much a leading character as ledger in brokeback.  so that too, is complete bs.  if it were hetero it would be best male and best female, the female wouldnt automatically be knocked down to supporting.  eat shit, academy.  and syriana original screenplay?  c'mon.  wasn't adaptation up for adapted?  and THAT wasn't different enough?  the film gives credit to the book, the award shouldnt just neglect that.
Quote from: Cinephile on January 31, 2006, 09:41:47 AM
fuckin' stupid.
damn right.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

Silliest thing of the day. ... No Visual Effects nominations for Revenge of the Sith. ...  :shock:

Sleepless

So, anyway... when do we start the campaigning for 'There Will Be Blood'?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

life_boy

Quote from: Sleepless on January 31, 2006, 08:27:33 PM
So, anyway... when do we start the campaigning for 'There Will Be Blood'?

We should probably wait until at least principle photography.  That way we can make sure it's not a letdown.

polkablues

Quote from: Find Your Magali on January 31, 2006, 08:10:23 PM
Silliest thing of the day. ... No Visual Effects nominations for Revenge of the Sith. ...  :shock:

That's actually one of the few validating signs I see here... lots of effects does not necessarily equal good effects.  I would have loved to see a Visual Effects nod for "Serenity", though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

cine

i think  you guys are forgetting we've had years where complete garbage like fuckin GLADIATOR won best picture and best actor. you know how many oscars Crash is walking away with? ZERO. they'll get writing - MAYBE. but lets just accept a lot of people loved it [including me] and its just getting recognition with nominations and thats it. if any of you are pissed cause you think it actually has a chance of winning, forget it.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on January 31, 2006, 08:36:02 AM
I'm not too depressed by Crash's nominations, because come on who didn't see that coming. My eyes just blur everytime I see it, I know it won't win a damn thing (except maybe screenplay).

I agree Cine. Crash getting nominated isn't suprising (does anyone else check the top ten board at Movie City News, critics all love it). The fact that everyone here is shocked by its nominations is surprising. Have you guys never been disappointed by the Oscars before?
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

this is probably the best line up of nominees since the late 90s, which is really not saying much given the winners in the last 7 years or so.

but if crash does clean up, consider it the worst year ever.
under the paving stones.

Kal

I'm not shocked... I think everything, including Crash, was predictable. That doesnt mean I like it... and it still pissed me off when I saw it this morning.

You know that sometimes, at least for me, if you're surfing around IMDb and you find an old movie that you didnt know that says "4 Oscar Nominations" or something... you get curious thinking maybe its good. Especially if its nominated for Best Picture and Best Director. So well... this is unfortunatelly a case when its bullshit.