What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Thrindle

I've read this book about ten times.  I finished it again yesterday.  The jacket is deceiving, and so is the initial "blurb" on the back.  One of the best books I've ever read, that manages to get inside of a character and take you with her.  Not that you guys are going to read it, but it is an amazing read nonetheless.
Classic.

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

The Perineum Falcon

Currently reading:

Moliere, The Misanthrope and Other Plays: A New Selection

and about to begin:

Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

I'm alittle upset with the Moliere, since the rhyme scheme that I love so much have been done away with.
And I've been wanting to read Anna Karenina and other long-length classics for some time now.

And I got both of these at Shakespeare & Company. :yabbse-cool:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Reinhold

have you read Eight Plays, by moliere?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerhave you read Eight Plays, by moliere?
Nope.
I assume it has the rhyme scheme?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Reinhold

sommofum do.

what i like about moliere is the meter... he writes reparte in a way that very few others are able.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Brazoliange

about to begin Moby Dick
Long live the New Flesh

JG

I just read Snow Falling on Cedar for school.  I have no idea what to read next.

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

hedwig

brazoliange: your thoughts on last temptation?

Brazoliange

really good if a bit long in the last 3 chapters; I need to go back and watch the movie again now, but I 'think' Scorcese lost a lot of the power some of the scenes could have had
Long live the New Flesh

hedwig

kotte

A Cook's Tour - Anthony Bourdain
Just had to read this after Kitchen Confidential, which I really enjoyed. This was almost as enjoyable. His writing is very funny and real. If one man could make a still-beating cobra heart seem delicious, Bourdain's the man.

...and after those two books I just had to get:

Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook
Just a cook book. Not much to comment on here...

...and yesterday I got:

Fools Rush In - Bill Carter
A non-fiction tale about a man who joins 'The Serious Road Trip', an organisation that dodges bullets and grenades to get food and supplies to the Bosnians UN can't reach.

Raikus

Some of you saw the author on the Daily Show a couple of weeks ago. Me, I recognized him as a guy I had a writing class with in college.

The book though, wow. Go buy it, read it, and feel how close some of us are to living this life, or how some of us through minor details can be swept up into something so chaotic.

It's a short read but well worth it.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Reinhold

rereading Cats Cradle, by Vonnegut