The Heart Of The Matter

Started by MacGuffin, January 23, 2004, 12:34:30 AM

MacGuffin

Martin Scorsese Adapting Greene's Heart
Source: Variety

Martin Scorsese will develop as a potential directing project The Heart of the Matter, a Graham Greene novel to be scripted by Don MacPherson, says Variety.

Greene wrote the novel in 1948, and Scorsese read it as a young man and never forgot it. Like Greene's The Quiet American, it revolves around a secure, mature man living in a place far from home who is plunged into moral crisis by passion.

The story concerns a scrupulously honest, married Catholic police official serving in a West African country during wartime who gets into trouble when he falls in love with another woman while attempting to break up a diamond smuggling operation. Before he knows it, the man has borrowed money from a blackmailer, he's sent his wife away on vacation, and he's in way over his head.

Scorsese just wrapped the Howard Hughes biopic The Aviator, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffin... it revolves around a secure, mature man living in a place far from home who is plunged into moral crisis by passion.

:sleeping:

SoNowThen

all I can say is:

MARTY YOU'RE NOT GONNA LIVE FOREVER! IT'S TIME TO DO THAT BIOPIC YOU WROTE LOOSELY BASED ON YOUR PARENTS!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!

but this could be good. Greene is a snappy writer...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Greene is my second or third favorite author, and I was actually just about to start reading this one. Scorsese is such a perfect choice for his material that I'm surprised he hasn't adapted anything by him before.

ElPandaRoyal

But the story sounds a lot like The Quiet American. I'm gonna try and read some Greene.
Si