Beck's "Midnite Vultures"

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 01, 2003, 01:52:04 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Great album. There are some annyoing tracks, but Peaches & Cream, Broken Train, and Milk & Honey are masterpieces (especially Milk & Honey)...

Gold Trumpet

You dare not mention 'Debra' as one of those? Once the cheap lyrics are gotten past, its all raw power. I agree though, some tracks are just too much in Beck experimenting in this field of music, but nonetheless, some great music exists here.

~rougerum

Sigur Rós

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYou dare not mention 'Debra' as one of those? Once the cheap lyrics are gotten past, its all raw power. I agree though, some tracks are just too much in Beck experimenting in this field of music, but nonetheless, some great music exists here.

~rougerum

Uhhh, I agree!!! This cd is THE ULTIMATE PARTY DISC!!!!!

Kev Hoffman

Have you heard Beck's indies (Stereopathetic Soul Manure and One Foot in the Grave)?  One Foot in the Grave is decent, some pretty OK acoustic songs, but really has nothing more to offer as far as his genius in later albums.  Stereopathetic Soul Manure is horribly annoying.  Sounds like he spent a day in his basement recording various sounds.

I like Midnight Vultures.  Included to the tracks you mentioned, I enjoy Debra and Beautiful Way.  

His best so far is Odelay.

RegularKarate

One Foot in the Grave is one of his best albums... it really defined that side of Beck... It goes along with his more laid back albums... Mutations and Sea Change.... I dig it quit a bit.

Stereophonic is kind of funny, but just a bunch of "shit" he did.

chainsmoking insomniac

Midnite Vultures was a welcome departure from his usual....I loved his scathing review of Hollywood and/or L.A....There's one gem on Stereopathetic that I listen to alot: Devil's Taco or something...."Satan gave me a taco, and it made me really sick...." Fucking love that song.
Anyway, Mutations (for me) is right up there with Odelay...Sea Change and Mellow are a notch below.....
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

bonanzataz

Much like magnolia, i hated this disc when it first came out. so much so that i actually sold it on ebay. i don't know when or how it happened, but it is now one of, if not my favorite album ever.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

yeah, i love this cd.  its probably one of my all time favorites as well.  i actually got a chance to talk to beck for a few minutes backstage after one of his shows and told him of my love for his underappreciated album and he seemed kind of surprised.  PRESSURE ZONE.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sexterossa

o maria reminds me of an aimee mann song. i don't know which.

oops. we weren't talking about mutations. damn beck and all his "m" album titles. my favorite MV songs is niccotine and gravy.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Alexandro

everything beck does is amazing...it's just fucking amazing

everytime i listen to one of his records is like a completely different trip in each one...

my fav is Odelay, but on the rest I just can't decide...the complete lo-fi weirdness of Stereopathetic Soulmanure, the folk, up close country feeling of One Foot in the Grave, the melodic elegance of Mutations, the complete rock party of Midnite Vultures and the sad, nostalgic almost crepuscular sound of that masterpiece called Sea Changes...I loved them all...

I love the guy cause he's always pushing his own boundaries...never boring, if you ask me...

Mesh

Mellow Gold - 10.0
Odelay - 9.6
Mutations - 9.9
Midnight Vultures - 7.2
One Foot in the Grave - 8.5
Stereopathetic Soulmanure - 6.5
Sea Change - 9.5

modage

how about beck b-sides?  ive got about 3 or 4 cds full. have you heard any of these?

SEA CHANGE ERA
-ship in a bottle

MIDNITE VULTURES ERA
-salt in the wound
-this is my crew
-arabian nights
-dirty dirty
-midnite vultures
-zatyricon

MUTATIONS ERA
-one of these days
-diamond in the sleaze
-halo of gold
-electric music and the summer people
-black balloon
-runners dial zero

ODELAY ERA
-diskobox
-clock
-feather in your cap

MISC
-deadweight
-erase the sun
-sa-5
-boyz
-diamond dogs

some of them are A-OK
(personally i prefer post-mellow gold beck, although i do have a bunch of earlier stuff.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02how about beck b-sides?  ive got about 3 or 4 cds full. have you heard any of these?

-arabian nights

-diamond dogs

Covers of the Siouxsie and the Banshees and Bowie tunes, respectively??
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

yes the DIAMOND DOGS is the timbaland produced bowie cover from the MOULIN ROUGE soundtrack but the ARABIAN NIGHTS is just a name coincidence.  unless the other version sounds like this...

Bazookas and fisticuffs
Medicating in Porsches
98-karat stick shift
Chinatown late-night meals
Alfonso giving me a backrub
2 pm laser vizzaginal rejuvenation
Triple album project
Detonatin' tracks like these
Magnums and barrettas
Part-time hostages in pottery classes
Blind date at the wax museum
Norwegian hockey players passed out in government limos
Prime ministers with cryogenic faces
Louis Vuitton suitcases
Autographs and paid vacations
Divorce papers and synthetic lubrications
Playin' you like top-40 stations
Ah you know the deal

Arabian nights
White satellites
Voodoo is tight
Like sleek diamond ice

Airbrushed memories strewn like pamphlets into fifth Mississippis
Time-lapse footage of duct-taped lies
Animal frequencies pinching deodorized nerves
Cosmetic procedures on the cartilage of apocalypse
Mannequin tycoons with airport piano bar mystiques
Remodeling conjugal amaracus
Flexing like suburban Spartacus
Getting smacked up by unemployed hand models
Running out into the middle of traffic with beaujolais bottles

Arabian nights
White satellites
Voodoo is tight
Like sleek diamond ice

best lyrics ever...

Alexandro

Quote from: MeshMellow Gold - 10.0
Odelay - 9.6
Mutations - 9.9
Midnight Vultures - 7.2
One Foot in the Grave - 8.5
Stereopathetic Soulmanure - 6.5
Sea Change - 9.5

Yes, I've hard all of those...I own a whole nunch and the rest I downloaded it...I collect them actually, but in Mexico is kinda hard to keep up...

And yes, he writes the best lyrics ever, sometimes I just can't believe the way this man mixes words...