Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Jay Tee EmAdam Sandler? Killer Tomatoes?... i'd watch it.

It's that mentality that allows this market of remakes to thrive.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

jtm

um, no.  remakes don't bother me as much as it seems to bother other people. if it's good, it's good.  if it's not, whatever.  it doesn't diminish the original to me at all..... besides, is Attack of the Killer Tomatoes considered too "sacred" to touch? i don't think so.

you peeps take stuff too seriously sometimes.

MacGuffin

Day of the Dead Remake in the Works
The zombie craze continues.

A few years ago, there wasn't a zombie movie anywhere in sight. Now, in 2005, the walking dead are just about everywhere you look at the local multi-plex. Director Danny Boyle reinvented the genre with fast-moving corpses in 28 Days Later and Zack Snyder followed suit with a remake of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Shaun of the Dead parodied the lumbering dead of Romero's work and now, later this summer, Romero himself returns with Land of the Dead.

Now, combining the current trend of remakes with the popularity of zombie films, Romero's Day of the Dead has been pegged for a reworking. This week it was announced in Variety that Avi Lerner's Millenium Films will finance and distribute a remake of Day along with Taurus Entertainment and Emmett/Furla Films. Paul Mason and Jordan Rush brought the project to Emmett/Furla.

This is the second time Emmett/Furla and Lerner have worked with Mason after setting up Amityville at Dimension. That film went on tremendous success, grossing more than $80 million worldwide to date.

No details yet on director or cast for Day, but IGN FilmForce will bring you those details as they come to light.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Four boarding Warners' new 'Poseidon'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

After a long search, Warner Bros. Pictures finally has its crew for Wolfgang Petersen's big-budget remake of "The Poseidon Adventure."

Kurt Russell, Richard Dreyfuss, Emmy Rossum and Mike Vogel have boarded the picture, while Andre Braugher is in negotiations to join the cast.

Like the 1972 original, the story follows the survivors of the S.S. Poseidon, a cruise ship which is capsized by a tidal wave. The survivors, trapped inside, are forced to work their way to the surface of the upside down ship through the hull.

Russell is playing an ex-fireman and mayor who is traveling with his daughter (Rossum) and her boyfriend (Vogel). Dreyfuss plays a gay man whose relationship breaks up just before departure.

Braugher would play the ship's captain.

Petersen is producing with Mike Fleiss and Duncan Henderson. Executive producing are Jon Jashni, Kevin Burns and Sheila Allen.

The screenplay is by Mark Protosevich and Akiva Goldsman and is based on Paul Gallico's novel.

Shooting is scheduled to begin June 18 on the Warners lot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Chiller Films Bites Piranha Remake
Source: Variety June 7, 2005

Chiller Films has set up a deal to remake the 1978 Joe Dante-directed horror film Piranha, says Variety.

Chuck Russell is rewriting the script, using elements from spec script Killer Fish by Josh Stolberg and Peter Goldfinger plus the original's script by John Sayles. The film is based on a story by Richard Robertson.

In the original Piranha, a prehistoric strain of the feisty fish is unleashed by a subterranean tremor in Arizona's Lake Havasu just as the college crowd shows up to frolic in the lake.

Russell (The Mask, Eraser, The Scorpion King) will decide whether or not to direct the film after he completes the rewrite. The movie will go into production this fall.

Chiller Films first project is George A. Romero's Land of the Dead, which Universal will release June 24.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stiller and Coogan are The Persuaders
Source: Variety June 7, 2005

Ben Stiller and Steve Coogan will star in a feature remake of 1971 British TV series The Persuaders, with DreamWorks Pictures, Hyde Park and Granada America partnered on the film, reports Variety.

Stiller will play the role originated by Tony Curtis, and British comic actor Coogan will take on Roger Moore's part.

The series, which aired in the U.S. on ABC and in the U.K. for a season, revolved around the adventures of two rich playboys. Curtis was the street-smart millionaire from the Bronx, Moore the upper cruster.

They mingled in exotic locales, romancing women and righting wrongs along the way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Mostow finds shelter with Dis' 'Robinson'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"Swiss Family Robinson" is heading back to the big screen with Jonathan Mostow at the helm. Mandeville Films CEO David Hoberman and president Todd Lieberman are producing for Walt Disney Pictures.

The deal also includes an arrangement for Mostow to rewrite a script by Greg Poirier. Mostow came to the project after six months of negotiations, which resulted in the company heading for a 2006 production slot in Australia.

"We are very excited about the project," said Hoberman, who called Mostow cold to pitch him the project only to run into a little serendipity with the director. Hoberman said Mostow called Disney's 1960 feature version his favorite childhood film. Ditto for Hoberman, who came on board to produce through Mandeville after the project had been laying fallow at Disney for some time.

"This is going to be a priority for us," Lieberman said. "This is a big tentpole movie, and it's rare that you get someone like Mostow who makes such cool movies combined with such a classic property."

The original book was written by Johann David Wyss and published by his son, Johann Rudolph Wyss, in 1812. Loosely based on "Robinson Crusoe," the story follows the Robinson family after it washes ashore on an uncharted tropical island following a shipwreck. On the island, the family builds a home in a giant tree and battles the forces of nature.

Disney's version of the film starred John Mills and Dorothy McGuire. The property also has spawned several television series, including one from the mid-1970s starring a young Helen Hunt. Another "Robinson" series was produced for Canadian television a year later.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinMostow finds shelter with Dis' 'Robinson'
from that headline i expected it to be a black 're-imagining' a la the new honeymooners.  Dis Family Robinson!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Tryskadekafobia

Dis remaking shit is getting out of hand.

Ravi

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

modage

thats why i started it.  just wait till it grows longer than any thread on xixax.  it'll happen.  THAT will be depressing.

The Perineum Falcon

From The Movie Blog:

It had been rumored for a long time, and it seems the female version of The Lost Boys will finally make its way to the big screen as Genevieve Jolliffe and Andrew Zinnes have penned a script for Absolute Angels, a teenage horror-comedy following a lonely goth girl who gets invited to join the high school cheerleading team only to learn the cheerleaders are actually a pack of vampires.

Not that there's a point in most remakes, but I REALLY don't get this.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ranemaka13From The Movie Blog:

It had been rumored for a long time, and it seems the female version of The Lost Boys will finally make its way to the big screen as Genevieve Jolliffe and Andrew Zinnes have penned a script for Absolute Angels, a teenage horror-comedy following a lonely goth girl who gets invited to join the high school cheerleading team only to learn the cheerleaders are actually a pack of vampires.

Not that there's a point in most remakes, but I REALLY don't get this.

Sounds like someone found a way to write off a bad Blockbuster night.

Ravi

Its still going to be called The Lost Boys.