PTA referenced on IMDB today

Started by 82, October 22, 2003, 11:45:22 PM

Main page:

IMDb Movie of the Day
He doesn't yet have the box-office clout of M. Night Shyamalan or the hip cache of Paul Thomas Anderson, but David O. Russell is perhaps the most exciting American writer-director working today. The one-time student of novelist Mary Gordon has three original, wildly different films to his name, all of which showcase Russell's acute screenwriting, sharp scene construction and penchant for moral complexities....

www.imdb.com
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

aclockworkjj

I love yer sig 82....

but "we're not in a motel room anymore Danny!!!"

"it's denny"

Finn

Yes, I noticed that yesterday. I've never seen anything from David O. Russell, but I guess I really should. He seems to use Ben Stiller as much as PTA uses PBH.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Spike

Russell is indeed very, very underrated. "Flirting With Disaster" is amazing and I really loved "Three Kings". Haven't seen "Spanking The Monkey" yet.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

TheVoiceOfNick

How could they take PTA's name in vain like that!  Russell is crap.

cine

Yeah thats what I was wondering. They may be referencing PTA but its to make Russell look a lot better. Which doesn't make sense. I loved his Three Kings, but come on, IMDB.

ono

Well, Ebert seemed to think really highly of him (Russell), too, in his review of Magnolia.  He mentioned him in the same breath as PTA, Jonze, and Scorsese as one of the new, fresh, untimid directors ... or something.  I find that a stretch, though I've only see parts of three Kings.  The others you can make an argument for, but with only one movie under his belt, you have to wonder.  And isn't that review of Magnolia one of the best articles on film like ever?

SoNowThen

He's made 3 movies.

Three Kings is great.

I'll take him over his buddy Spike Jonze any day.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Er, I meant one good movie.  Oops.  ;)

md

ebert says  "These are not movies that apologize for their exuberance, or shield themselves with irony against suspicions of sincerity."

what does he mean by that? -- the irony part[/b]
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

cine

Quote from: SoNowThen
I'll take him over his buddy Spike Jonze any day.
Really? I like Jonze's body of work more than Russell's... to each his own, though.

ono

Quote from: mdebert says  "These are not movies that apologize for their exuberance, or shield themselves with irony against suspicions of sincerity."

what does he mean by that? -- the irony part[/b]
He means that they're honest, and they wear their hearts on their sleeves, if I'm interpreting correctly.  They aren't afraid to be sincere.

Ernie

Quote from: SpikeRussell is indeed very, very underrated. "Flirting With Disaster" is amazing and I really loved "Three Kings". Haven't seen "Spanking The Monkey" yet.

Yes, I've always thought the same. He's really going to be great I think. Spanking the Monkey has a hotter than hell mom in it but it's not as good as his other two (which are classics to me). Can't wait for Huckabee's or whatever it's called!

soixante

I will take Spike Jonze, Alexander Payne, PTA, Wes Anderson, Harmony Korine, Doug Liman and Neil La Bute over David O. Russell anyday.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Finn

I was happy to see that All the Real Girls is the movie of the day with a quote from 25th Hour when I woke up this morning.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."