The SEQUELS That Time Forgot

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 11:35:48 PM

MacGuffin

Dean Devlin developing STARGATE sequel
Source: Sci Fi Wire

Dean Devlin, the co-writer and producer of the original STARGATE, has a production deal with MGM to develop a sequel that will pick up the story from the 1994 film.

Devlin spoke to Sci Fi Wire, saying, "We would just continue the mythology of the movie and finish that out. I think the series could still live at the end of the third sequel. So we're going to try to not tread on their stories."

"When we created the original Stargate, we always envisioned it as a trilogy, and, unfortunately, the way in which the movie got made, we didn't really have control over [it]," Devlin added. "I think it will be very exciting to actually get to go do parts two and three."

Roland Emmerich will have the opportunity to direct the film if he wants, and Devlin said both Russell and Spader seem interested in coming back.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: Mr. Joshua on July 12, 2006, 04:43:26 PM
2 words maniac cop 3 mansions 2 the day of the tentacle

god I love that game.  but it's like, 8 words.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Pierce Brosnan returns for Doubtfire 2

According to Sky News, Pierce Brosnan will reprise his role as the hoity Stuart – Sally Field's prospective new man in the first film – in "Mrs Doubtfire 2".

According to star Robin Williams, he isn't taking no for an answer from the former 007 and if all goes to plan, you'll see the Irish heartthrob in the sequel, which starts filming early next year. Actress Bonnie Hunt - Williams' co-star in "Jumanji" - worked on the script.

"He was a riot in the first film and we need him for Doubtfire 2", says Williams, currently appearing in "The Night Listener", of good friend Brosnan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Blair Witch Pitch
Source: Moviehole

Seems the guys behind "The Blair Witch Project" – remember that little money-spinning beast? – Haven't given up on their initiative of doing a third film in the series, despite the fact that the studio that owns the BW tag isn't keen to pursue it at the moment.

Eduardo Sanchez, one half of the "Witch" team, says he's still up for returning to the world of the filmmaker-killing villainess.

"I'd love to do another, especially a prequel about Elly Kedward," he tells Fangoria. "We've given it a lot of thought and there's even a pretty good treatment, but we'll have to wait and see what the people at Lionsgate [which took over Artisan] have to say about it."

Sanchez and partner Dan Myrick approached Lionsgate a couple of years ago with their ideas for a "Blair Witch 3" but the studio weren't interested.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Morgan Creek tracking down third 'Ventura'

Morgan Creek has begun the detective work on a kooky cold case. The production company has hired Jeff Sank and brothers Jason and Justin Heimberg to write a third installment of the hit franchise "Ace Ventura." The two previous "Ventura" comedies -- 1994's "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" and the following year's "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls" -- grossed more than $180 million domestically and helped establish Jim Carrey as one of the highest-paid comedy actors in Hollywood. The latest pet project is expected to center on the eccentric detective's son, who steps into his father's shoes to take over the family business.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Will there be a Gremlins 3?

"Gremlins" director Joe Dante tells Latino Review that although he's pretty confident that Warner will dust off Gizmo again, one day, he doesn't expect to be involved in any new sequel. In fact, he doesn't even want to see it.

"Well, I'm sure there will be one" says Dante, who helmed both "Gremlins" movies. " I know I won't have anything to do with it. They won't ask me".

According to Dante, he set out to make 1990's "Gremlins 2" in a way to "make sure there wouldn't be" another film, but if Warner are keen "they're welcome to it. I think what's holding it up is that they can't conceive of what to do because the first movies were defined by the technology, it was what the puppets could do and do well and not do and that's what the movies became. Now you could do anything with CGI so the field is so open that nobody could focus on what exactly it should be. I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing it."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Christian Slater returning for Heathers 2

Now this is bound to give – well, Christian Slater's career a boost, but also – a few "Heathers" fans a fat fuzzy feeling in the thingamajing.

According to JoBlo.Com – citing Entertainment Weekly – a sequel to the 80s black comedy fave "Heathers" is as good as GO, GO GO. Winona Ryder will return, as well as – despite his untimely demise in the first film – the film's bad-boy, Christian Slater.

"I don't know how much is official; it's a ways away. But it takes place in Washington and Christian Slater agreed to come back and make an Obi-Wan-type appearance. It's very funny", said Ryder.

Daniel Waters – currently working with Ryder on "Sex and Death 101" – is involved in the sequel. He's writing it, and may also direct.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 05, 2006, 10:42:40 AM

According to Sky News, Pierce Brosnan will reprise his role as the hoity Stuart – Sally Field's prospective new man in the first film – in "Mrs Doubtfire 2".

According to star Robin Williams, he isn't taking no for an answer from the former 007 and if all goes to plan, you'll see the Irish heartthrob in the sequel, which starts filming early next year. Actress Bonnie Hunt - Williams' co-star in "Jumanji" - worked on the script.

"He was a riot in the first film and we need him for Doubtfire 2", says Williams, currently appearing in "The Night Listener", of good friend Brosnan.

I always love it when borat calls it womanman doubtfire.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 05, 2006, 10:42:40 AM

Ooooh I hope Chris Columbus is coming back to direct!

Seriously though, Bonnie Hunt working on the screenplay, random as that may be, is a good sign.  I like her.

MacGuffin

THE THING prequel on the way
Source: Fangoria

Studios have become savvy to the fact that it's just as profitable to go back as it is to go forward, and it appears the boys at Strike Entertainment—the same company that brought us the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake, SLiTHER, and the forthcoming historical epic 300 (which looks amazing)—feel this is the key ingredient to bring THE THING back to the big screen. Fango has learned that Strike is combing Hollywood for a writer (or writers) to tackle a THING prequel. Since the production house works solely with Universal, which gave us John Carpenter's classic 1982 THING remake, this is understandable.

The gestation period on a new THING has been a long one. Since Carpenter's film—starring Kurt Russell, a bevy of amazing character actors and the timeless, inimitable special FX of Rob Bottin—overcame initial critical and public derision to become a modern classic, Universal has pondered just what to do with a property that is ripe for follow-up status. Many have stepped in to lend their two cents, beginning with Dark Horse Comics, which created a miniseries back in the early '90s that was the next best thing to getting a full-blown cinematic continuation. Then George Clooney flirted with the idea of bringing the original story, "Who Goes There?" (by John W. Campbell), to the small screen in a project similar to the black-and-white FAIL SAFE he executive-produced; then the THING video game came along; then Frank Darabont was attached to a Sci-Fi Channel original movie. Time will tell if the prequel's birth will come anytime soon; we'll keep you updated.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

More Games Afoot
Helmer tapped for WarGames sequel.

The long-rumored sequel to 1983's WarGames is finally moving ahead. Stuart Gillard (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, TV's Charmed) has been hired to direct WarGames 2: The Dead Game.

The sequel will lens mid-November in Montreal. The screenplay was written by Randall M. Badat.

WarGames 2 will revolve around a teenage hacker whose world, according to ProductionWeekly.com, "gets turned upside after playing an online terrorist-attack simulator game against a government super-computer designed to profile potential terrorists. All hell breaks loose when Homeland Security is convinced that he's a terrorist intent on disrupting the fabric of society."

The John Badham-directed original – starring Matthew Broderick, Ally Sheedy and Dabney Coleman – followed a teenage computer whiz and prankster whose videogame mischief almost sparked World War III.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

L.A Confidential sequel in the works

Joe Carnahan, the talented brains behind the acclaimed thriller "Narc" (2004), has signed to direct a sequel to the 90s hit, "L.A Confidential".

"The film I'm doing next is White Jazz, the sequel to LA Confidential," Carnahan tells CHUD. "My brother and I wrote the adaptation," he said.

"That script is one of my favorites. It's heartbreaking. It's, to me, what that book always was – the point of departure from the Eisenhower 50s to the psychedelic freakshow, Manson 60s. It's a total combination of the two with a heavy, heavy voice-over narration, this kind of classic noir. I love the script, dude. I'm going to get it out there – once it's done I'm going to get it on the internet so people can read it."

Hopefully Carnanan, who also tells the site he's considering doing a remake of "Bunny Lake is Missing", actually gets to make this one – unlike the last sequel he was attached to, "Mission: Impossible III". Just months before the film was set to go into production, Carnahan walked from the Paramount pic (reportedly over creative differences with star/producer Tom Cruise).

"White Jazz", the film, has been in development hell for quite a while. At one stage, Nick Nolte was set to play the films lead character, a corrupt copper named David "Dave" Klein, and John Cusack was attached to play his partner, Junior Stemmons. Just weeks before she was arrested for shoplifting, Winona Ryder was reportedly in talks to play a role.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Murphy back for more 'Beverly Hills Cop'
Star, Paramount, di Bonaventura prepping fourth Foley film
Source:Variety

Eddie Murphy is hitting the beat for "Beverly Hills Cop IV," working with Paramount in collaring Lorenzo di Bonaventura as producer.

The new regime at Par is keen on reviving the classic action-comedy franchise, which features Murphy as detective Axel Foley.

Murphy will work closely with Par and di Bonaventura in reinvigorating and updating the once-lucrative property. Project is out to writers.

Thesp, who will next be in theaters with "Dreamgirls," has always been attached to star in the fourth installment.

The first two pics in the franchise, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and his former partner Don Simpson, did enormous box office.

"Beverly Hills Cop," released in 1984, grossed more than $234.7 million domestically and another $81 million overseas. The next installment, released in 1987, took in more than $153.6 million in the U.S. and another $146 million overseas.

The franchise ran into trouble with the release of "Beverly Hills Cop III" in 1994. Pic grossed only $44 million domestically.

Bruckheimer wasn't involved with the third entry and won't be a producer on "Beverly Hills Cop IV" considering everything else he has on his plate.

Di Bonaventura, who has a producing deal at Par, said it will be a challenge to do the fourth installment as well as the previous films.

"Axel Foley is one of the great action-comedy characters, a character that Eddie loves. I'm lucky enough to help bring it back," di Bonaventura said. "This genre is missing from the landscape."

Murphy is in post-production with "Norbit." He also reprises his voice role in the upcoming "Shrek the Third."

Skeleton FilmWorks

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 30, 2006, 12:25:42 AM
Murphy back for more 'Beverly Hills Cop'
Star, Paramount, di Bonaventura prepping fourth Foley film
Source:Variety

Eddie Murphy is hitting the beat for "Beverly Hills Cop IV," working with Paramount in collaring Lorenzo di Bonaventura as producer.

The new regime at Par is keen on reviving the classic action-comedy franchise, which features Murphy as detective Axel Foley.

Murphy will work closely with Par and di Bonaventura in reinvigorating and updating the once-lucrative property. Project is out to writers.

Thesp, who will next be in theaters with "Dreamgirls," has always been attached to star in the fourth installment.

The first two pics in the franchise, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and his former partner Don Simpson, did enormous box office.

"Beverly Hills Cop," released in 1984, grossed more than $234.7 million domestically and another $81 million overseas. The next installment, released in 1987, took in more than $153.6 million in the U.S. and another $146 million overseas.

The franchise ran into trouble with the release of "Beverly Hills Cop III" in 1994. Pic grossed only $44 million domestically.

Bruckheimer wasn't involved with the third entry and won't be a producer on "Beverly Hills Cop IV" considering everything else he has on his plate.

Di Bonaventura, who has a producing deal at Par, said it will be a challenge to do the fourth installment as well as the previous films.

"Axel Foley is one of the great action-comedy characters, a character that Eddie loves. I'm lucky enough to help bring it back," di Bonaventura said. "This genre is missing from the landscape."

Murphy is in post-production with "Norbit." He also reprises his voice role in the upcoming "Shrek the Third."

This news made my day.

MacGuffin

Kilmer plans Genius return

Val Kilmer is reportedly set to sign up to star in a sequel to his 1985 comedy 'Real Genius'.

The 'Tombstone' star recently announced his intentions to take on more comedic roles in the future in a bid to alter his Hollywood image and take his career to a new level.

In the original 80s project Kilmer played Chris Knight, one of two brilliant teenagers who head a team of young geniuses developing a laser for what they believe is a class project and later discover that their professor intends to turn their work over to the government for use as a weapon.

No shooting schedule has been announced.

Skeleton FilmWorks