Vanilla Sky

Started by Sleuth, March 02, 2003, 06:43:49 PM

travisbickle1000

for my first time in this subject, i dont want to upset anyone, so try to hear me out. i came to the conclusion about a year ago that vanilla sky was the worst movie i had ever seen. i'm not exaggerating, and i say it with all the love that i can find for such a bad movie. the only movie i've seen since then that could maybe be worse was matchstick men. now before anyone gets angry, let me tell you why. first of all, during the film i became increasingly weary of investing emotionally in scenes that turned out to only be dreams. at the time i could handle a dream or two in a movie, and with vanilla sky i continually forgave it becuase i was anticipating a very good ending, one that would make me forget all those scenes that led nowhere, becuase suddenly it made beautiful sense. at the end it made sense, but it wasnt beautiful. instead of an ending that would make me forget the dreams, almost the whole movie became a dream. what is the point? my sophomore english teacher once read me a great quote, and it went something like this: "there are two ways that you should never end a story: 'i'm gay' or 'and then he woke up'" vanilla sky has since planted a deep seeded hatred for dreams inside of me. i just think that movies have the right to let weird things happen, you dont need to put them into a dream to make your movie more beleiveable. i guess a bad ending just ruins what could possibly be a good movie. the ending spoils great scenes (what if god was one of us?) thats why i hate matchstick men so much. i felt with both movies that a close friend had deeply betrayed me. maybe i take movies too seriously. but also, dont you guys get the idea that CC comes up with great premises, great characters, beautiful dialogue, but never knows where to go with it?

Sleuth

Cool, Matchstick Men spoilers in the Vanilla Sky thread.
I like to hug dogs

travisbickle1000

hey slobh, when does that UCB dvd come out?

Sleuth

Quote from: travisbickle1000hey slobh, when does that UCB dvd come out?

UCB DVD out now, and I FINALLY HAVE IT
I like to hug dogs

Finn

I just can't seem to get this movie out of my head. Vanilla Sky is clearly Cameron Crowe's best film with underrated performances from the cast. I couldn't believe that Crowe wasn't up for an Oscar for his direction. All the images and scenes were put together beautifully and brilliantly. The last scene in particular is one of the most beautiful sequeneces ever filmed. It's the kinda scene I just get goosebumbs while watching. I can watch this movie over and over again and never get tried of it. Brilliant!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Banky

Quote from: SydneyI just can't seem to get this movie out of my head. Vanilla Sky is clearly Cameron Crowe's best film with underrated performances from the cast. I couldn't believe that Crowe wasn't up for an Oscar for his direction. All the images and scenes were put together beautifully and brilliantly. The last scene in particular is one of the most beautiful sequeneces ever filmed. It's the kinda scene I just get goosebumbs while watching. I can watch this movie over and over again and never get tried of it. Brilliant!

agree 100 percent although i do not know if it is his best film

©brad

Quote from: SydneyI just can't seem to get this movie out of my head. Vanilla Sky is clearly Cameron Crowe's best film with underrated performances from the cast. I couldn't believe that Crowe wasn't up for an Oscar for his direction. All the images and scenes were put together beautifully and brilliantly. The last scene in particular is one of the most beautiful sequeneces ever filmed. It's the kinda scene I just get goosebumbs while watching. I can watch this movie over and over again and never get tried of it. Brilliant!

um, why did you post in blue? just curious. (cuz i'm an avid fan of colors, but a firm believer in that there's a time and a place)

Finn

I hardly ever post in colors. I just thought it would be interesting to post it with a blue color...like the skies. Just a way to give some credit to the film.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

mogwai

does tommy lee really have a cameo in 'sky? i read at imdb that he appears as the "frozen vintage car man". dude, i totally missed out on that one. (tommy lee pun intended) can anyone help me find the scene where he's in?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I agree with what's been said about the music.  I loved the songs, but when I thought about it, they just didn't fit.

The Good Vibrations part was funny, but man did it not fit after a little bit.

I thought at first Penelope Cruz sucked, but then I thought maybe her character was foreign and was struggling with English, so she's a little introverted.  I came to realize, that she wasn't acting that part.

I also didn't like how it spelled everything out for you in the end.  I like replay in movies, and if it didn't say "Remember when this happened?  Well..."  It definitely had me hooked to watch it again, but what's the point now that they've told me what to think?

The ending was a little disappointing, but thinking about it, I couldn't think of a more fitting one.

However, the dialogue was really good and the shots were very nice.  The flow of the movie is really what left much to be desired.  (By flow I mean order and music as music is essential to progression in some films).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

anybody else catch how much Vanilla Sky has in common with Sunset Blvd?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pozer

va... nil... la... ska... yee? 

SiliasRuby

Vanilla Sky is such a refreshing movie and it makes me  :) plus it has the third best performance of Tommy Cruise.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection