sigur ros & mogwai

Started by abbey road, May 20, 2003, 11:21:23 AM

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Walrus¥¥¥Frankly, it turns me on.

My name or the burger?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Sigur
Quote from: Walrus¥¥¥Frankly, it turns me on.

My name or the burger?

Can't it be both?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Walrus¥¥¥

Can't it be both?

Make a decision, it's me or the burger!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'll take you.  

Any day.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Walrus¥¥¥I'll take you.  

Any day.

:kiss:

modage

Sigur Rós Reveal New Album Tracklist
Source: Pitchfork

If you hailed from a land of elfin strangeness and darkness for roughly half the year, you'd probably like to get your kicks from jerking around with the press, too. After weeks of cryptic messages and jokes about performing at the Ouagoudougou Arts Festival, the droplets of information about the new Sigur Rós album have now finally become a veritable flood. The band's official web site has announced that "takk..." (Icelandic for "thanks") will be released the week of September 12.

Sung mostly in Icelandic, the album contains 11 tracks spanning 65 minutes. On their current tour, they have premiered two tracks from the new album, "mílanó" and "gong". The first single, which has not been announced yet, will be put out via MP3 in August. The heavily accented and largely unpronounceable tracklist:

01 takk...
02 glósóli
03 hoppípolla
04 með blóðnasir
05 sé lest
06 sæglópur
07 mílanó
08 gong
09 andvari
10 svo hljótt
11 heysátan
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

My pants have been shit'd.

MacGuffin

Islanders explore a mainland
Sigur Rós is looking to broaden horizons for the slow mystery of its ethereal music. Source: Los Angeles Times

Mainstream radio play has always been out of reach for the band Sigur Rós, if for no other reason than much of its music has been sung in a made-up language called Hopelandish.

For its upcoming album, though, the group is instead singing in a language understood by a much larger population: Icelandic.

What next — a collaboration with new label-mate Ashlee Simpson?

Don't bet on it. But there is a new outlook surrounding the group as it has moved to Geffen Records for "Takk" (due Sept. 13), after last year's folding of MCA Records into the Interscope Records family.

Even outside of its hometown of Reykjavik, the group is looking to broaden horizons for the slow mystery of its ethereal music. And Geffen President Jordan Schur believes it is possible to far surpass the quarter-million U.S. sales of the group's last album, "()," — a.k.a. "the brackets album" — already an impressive number considering the nature of the music. But he wants to make sure any moves remain true to the art.

"We're just lucky to have them," Schur says. "They're like a jewel, and we want to make sure we don't do anything to scuff it up."

What the Geffen team has done is gotten involved in the planning for the album more intensively than the U.S. labels had before. Not that it's all work.

"I've gone over to Iceland myself several times," Schur says. "I've gone out drinking with them all night!"

More to the point, the band and its management have spent time in L.A. and New York meeting with Schur and his staff to brainstorm on new ways to promote the album.

"Management told me this is the first time [the band members] had a pre-release meeting to discuss the work that is going to be done," he says. "They've never really stopped to focus on how to market records."

To that end, Schur says he has no intention of trying to push Sigur Rós into conventional approaches. Schur sees the level of success that the group has achieved in terms of album sales as just a starting point, with further potential pointed to by Sigur Rós' ability to headline the Hollywood Bowl, as will happen in the fall. But for now, he prefers to focus on noncommercial radio such as KCRW-FM (89.9) and other alternative means of exposure.

"Let's face it, there's a game to the music business," he says. "You have to have a hit song, great video, go tour, create excitement around that. But the way you win with them is that you do not play the game."

The label, though, gave Sigur Rós no artistic input. Any evolution on that front came from the musicians alone.

"To us, this record seems more positive than the last one," says Georg Holm, suggesting that perhaps with the previous album, songs had gotten worn out from being played in concert before the set was recorded. "This time we have deliberately kept the songs away from the live shows so that when we came to record them we had no idea of where they were heading and could be more inventive and have more fun. I think that shows in the finished record, which is day for 'the brackets album's' night."

He's also enthusiastic about the Geffen situation and notes that A&R executive Joel Mark, who signed the band at MCA, is still on board. As for perhaps reaching to the commercial mainstream, Holm says it's not a consideration for a band known for its long, haunting soundscapes.

"Actually, we have one four-minute song, which is maybe the poppiest thing we've ever done," he says, "so you never know."

Indeed. Matt Smith, music director of rock powerhouse KROQ-FM (106.7), says he'd like nothing more than to be able to play a Sigur Rós song.

"You'd be hard-pressed to find someone at this station who doesn't love Sigur Rós," he says. "It's hard for that to translate to airplay. But we're excited about the record and about them playing the Bowl. We would love to be able to play something."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Album artwork and upcoming tour dates below..

October
Sun 30 - Helsinki, Finland - House of Culture

November
Tue 1 - Stockholm, Sweden - Cirkus
Wed 2 - Oslo, Norway - Concerthouse
Thu 3 - Gothenburg, Sweden - Concerthouse
Sat 5 - Leipzig, Germany - Kohlrabizirkus
Sun 6 - Cologne, Gemany - Paladium
Mon 7 - Tilburg, Holland - 013
Wed 9 - London, UK - Brixton Academy
Thu 10 - Edinburgh, UK - Corn Exchange
Fri 11 - Dublin, Eire - Olympia
Sun 13 - Liverpool, UK - Philharmonic
Mon 14 - Birmingham, UK - Academy
Wed 16 - Paris, France - Elysée-Montmartre
Thu 17 - Lyon, France - Transbordeur
Fri 18 - Montpellier, France - Zenith
Sun 20 - Lisbon, Portugal - Coliseum
Mon 21 - Madrid, Spain - Teatro Coliseum
Tue 22 - Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona Teatre Musical

(Italian dates to be announced shortly)

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

thanks, i've been waiting for this to leak

am about to start listening to this, will post my thoughts later

is anyobdy else going to see them on their upcoming tour? i got my tickets for the new york show a few weeks ago

Pubrick

Quote from: meatwadis anyobdy else going to see them on their upcoming tour?
i'm seeing them tomoro.

Quote from: meatwadwill post my thoughts later
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Link stopped working... I D/Led it at work, but didn't get a chance to listen to it.. now I don't have it at home.

Lemme know if there's another link sometime soon.

mogwai

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaicould you call this a overdue redirect?

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=842
that is bizarre.

after investigating how this happened, it appears u updated this thread on page 3, in august 2004 http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=154666#154666 and again in 2005 with sigur ros news. while the other (older) thread was not updated after april 2003!

this thread was actually about almost anything but sigur ros until then, mogwai news and even belle and sebastian (?!!) were discussed on the first couple pages. and now u know the rest of the story..
under the paving stones.