I Love You, Man

Started by MacGuffin, December 16, 2008, 08:14:42 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: March 20th, 2009 (wide) 

Starring: Paul Rudd, Rashida Jones, Jason Segel, Andy Samberg, J. K. Simmons

Directed by: John Hamburg (Along Came Polly)

Premise: Peter Klaven is a successful real estate agent who, upon getting engaged to the woman of his dreams, Zooey, discovers, to his dismay and chagrin, that he has no male friend close enough to serve as his Best Man.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Saw this today. Loved it. I was laughing non-stop. Paul Rudd was great, and I think Jason Seigel is starting to develop as one of the funniest guys for these type of 'Apatowesque' comedies. It was pretty cool the whole cast was at the premiere and Q&A was pretty funny as well. Jon Favreau is the man.

Pas

ahhh man that's great Kal I've been really looking forward to this movie and I was worried by the trailers but now you confirm that it's good yesss

did Jason Segel sing his Dracula song at your showing ??

Kal

Quote from: Pas Rap on March 14, 2009, 10:41:33 AM
ahhh man that's great Kal I've been really looking forward to this movie and I was worried by the trailers but now you confirm that it's good yesss

He didnt but he did say that his muppets movie was going well, and that Judd Apatow first laughed at him many years ago when he wrote the Dracula show and now he is actually considering it.

Pas

Quote from: kal on March 14, 2009, 02:10:49 PM
Quote from: Pas Rap on March 14, 2009, 10:41:33 AM

He didnt but he did say that his muppets movie was going well, and that Judd Apatow first laughed at him many years ago when he wrote the Dracula show and now he is actually considering it.

holy shit that's awesome. the guy can do some great comedy songs (Sarah Marshall has some and also his TV show How I met your mother)

Pas

this was perfect. really funny, great date movie, nothing boring or out of place. really well done. I think it's even better than Sarah Marshall. Yeah pretty sure it is

also... RUSH !!! yeahhh

john

Yeah, this wasn't too terrible. Actually, it wasn't terrible at all. A bit syrupy, a bit awkward, and some jokes were flat or redundant - but there was enough to love to make up for all of that.

Segel and Rudd have great chemistry, separate and together, and the Rush affection was pretty terrific and genuine. For the first half of the film I was really worried there was going to be a bigger conflict around the corner... and I didn't want that because it would be unpleasant and predictable and take away from the enjoyment I had been having thus far. Then, the turns it does take - while still predictable - were delicate enough to keep it from losing it's steam.

I don't know if I'd suggest making an exhaustive effort to see this but, if you have the chance... there are worse ways to spend two hours.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Pas

Quote from: john on March 20, 2009, 09:48:58 PM
For the first half of the film I was really worried there was going to be a bigger conflict around the corner... and I didn't want that because it would be unpleasant and predictable and take away from the enjoyment I had been having thus far.

haha yes me too.

also Rashida Jones is pretty hot

Ravi

This was a light, enjoyable film, though it felt like the original script wasn't very good so they stuffed the film with people who could improvise in hopes of elevating it.

modage

Quote from: Ravi on March 27, 2009, 03:31:28 AM
This was a light, enjoyable film, though it felt like the original script wasn't very good so they stuffed the film with people who could improvise in hopes of elevating it.

agreed.  i liked this.  what could've been a terrible adam sandler movie became a pretty good rudd/segel one.  the supporting cast was underdeveloped and one dimensional like in most studio comedies.  but it's better to have a movie like this elevated by its actors even if they are dragged down a bit by the standard movie devices.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

With Ravi and mod. A good bit of laughs, but overall it never went past the main concept. Started to get redundant with Rudd's uncoolness.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Robyn

Hah, this was great. Jason Segal is the perfect Manic Pixie Dream Friend.