Strangers with Candy

Started by godardian, May 12, 2003, 04:40:35 PM

godardian

Quote from: _|P|_
Quote from: godardianz?uffin"][
that's the most screwed up quote i've ever seen.

in related news, amy sedaris is good when she's on letterman.. david's funnier tho, generally, says i.

I say talk shows don't give Amy the right forum for her extraordinary talent... she's not a book-hawker, she's an actor, dammit!!

David is a better writer, but he could never physically present something as wonderfully, inimitably warped as the one... the only... Jerri Blank.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

BrainSushi

Quote from: bonanzatazI laughed my ass of reading some of the shit in Barrel Fever. I just got Naked, I have to start reading that.

If you think reading his stuff is funny, you should get his books on tape/CD. He's got the greatest voice.

And I don't know if you ever read his story, "You Can't Kill the Rooster," about his little brother. If you haven't don't. You have to listen to this one. Amy Sedaris plays the brother. It's so fucking funny.

BonBon85

I haven't read any of Amy's stuff, but I love David's work and I've decided that Christmas on Ice is now required annual reading for me in December.

Banky

I always thought Pricaple Blackman was the best

MacGuffin

Strangers with Candy:Season 2 will hit streets on November 4th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinStrangers with Candy:Season 2 will hit streets on November 4th.

Yay!! I've really been enjoying my endless replayings of the first season DVDs, even the very odd unaired "pilot" episode. I think most of the changes from the pilot to the actual televised series were an improvement, though the talent and spirit are obviously there. Anyone else seen this?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

MacGuffin

Digital Bits has been told by sources that more Comedy Central product is on the way from Paramount in 2004. In the fall, you'll get Strangers with Candy: The Complete Third Season.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinDigital Bits has been told by sources that more Comedy Central product is on the way from Paramount in 2004. In the fall, you'll get Strangers with Candy: The Complete Third Season.

And finally, my life will be complete. That season has the special "Jerri's Burning Issue" episode about STDs, the one where she writes an immensely destructive advice column, and of course the final episode with guest appearances by Winona Ryder and the mouthwatering Paul Rudd...

Ghostboy

Some of my friends are obsessed with Strangers With Candy, and they finally got me to sit down and watch a handful of episodes. Holy shit, I'm hooked.

godardian

Yep, A. Sedaris guest-starred on several episodes of Sex & the City and co-starred in an off-Broadway play with Parker a couple years ago. They definitely seem like friends.

I can't wait for the last batch of discs, can't wait for the movie... Good to see you join the SWC cult, Ghostboy! It's totally true- you can't watch just one episode. Which ones did you get to see?

Ghostboy

Let's see...the one where her dad died (the hot dog!), the pro-virginity episode (the euphemisms!), the Raisin In The Sun episode (the trees!), the one where she has to take care of the baby and one or two others...

cine

Okay, so I'm pretty tempted to blind buy these DVDs now, including the Upright Citizens Brigade. I've got so many DVDs on my plate to buy right now that I'm not so sure I should get them so soon, but in any event, I think I just might order them from Amazon.ca.

meatwad

ohh man, great buys. The UCB DVD is another must have

meatwad

this is one of those shows that you can't wait to tell all your friends about and show them episodes

godardian

Quote from: meatwadthis is one of those shows that you can't wait to tell all your friends about and show them episodes

Exactly. It's the first thing I show "the uninitiated." If they "get it" and laugh their ass off, then it's a good bet that we'll get along.