Greatest Video Stores

Started by LostEraser, June 20, 2004, 06:34:42 PM

LostEraser

I'm sure there was a topic like this here sometime but I couldn't find one in the search engine. Now I know most people just do Netflix nowadays but I was wondering what the best video stores are everyone here has been to. I live in LA so the best ones I've found here are:

Rocket Video in Hollywood
Vidiots in Santa Monica
Cinephile in West LA
Eddie Brants in Studio City

I used to live in the Bay Area and my favorites ones there are:

Le Video in San Fransisco
Leather Tounge Video in San Fransisco
Reel Video in Berkely

Another good one is Scarecrow Video in Seattle. That's probably my favorite one of all time actually. I go there whenever I visit.  

Anyways, let me know what all your guys's favorite Video Stores in the world are (or just redirect me to the real thread if there's one already out there that I missed).
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

UncleJoey

Four Star Video in Madison. Easily the best one in the city and, I would bet, the state.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

SiliasRuby

Thanks Lost Eraser. I live in Ventura, CA and every once and a while I go to LA to Ameoba's. I've been looking for some other stores in LA to go to so, yeah thanks again.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

El Duderino

Video Cove......right next door to where i work...free sub, free movie.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pubrick

what is the point of this? very few ppl live in the same area.

why not a "best local shoe repair" thread, it would be just as valid/pointless.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: UncleJoeyFour Star Video in Madison. Easily the best one in the city and, I would bet, the state.

agreed.  Roger Ebert gave it Four Stars.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

GoneSavage

May my favorite one rest in peace.  Dollar Video, with its many incarnations here, was always the best.  Totally great staff and a wonderful  "cult classics" section which basically gave me all my film education in my junior and senior years of high school.  Sadly, two years later they called it quits because a chain was moving right down the street.

Dottie_Hinkle

Video Vault in Alexandria, VA or the DC metro area.  IT's s great shop with 5 floors.  THat is the only place I found super-old John Water's films.  They have an extensive cult section.
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

soixante

I swear this ain't a plug, but...Laser Blaser in West L.A. (on Pico just east of Overland) has the greatest selection of DVD's for rent anywhere.  They also have Laserdiscs for rent.  There's also a video store on the corner of Hillhurst and Franklin, forgot the name, but they have a great selection (especially VHS titles that are way out of print).  Vidiots in Santa Monica is great as well.

Sadly, I don't live in L.A. anymore, hence I can't patronize these fine stores.  

Scarecrow in Seattle is great; there are plenty in the Bay Area.  It helps to reside in a large metropolitan area.
Music is your best entertainment value.

joeybdot

112 Video World in Medford, New York - HUGE selection 40,000+

Myxo