DGA Nominations

Started by soixante, January 06, 2004, 04:59:18 PM

soixante

DGA just announced nominees for Best Director of 2003:

Sofia Coppola, Clint Eastwood, Peter Jackson, Peter Weir, Gary Ross

Winner announced on February 7.

Anthony Minghella is conspicuously absent.  I get the feeling there is going to be a Miramax backlash come Oscar time.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Fernando

kotte

Quote from: soixanteI get the feeling there is going to be a Miramax backlash come Oscar time.

About time...a nomination should be a product of talent, not promotion.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: kotte
About time...a nomination should be a product of talent, not promotion.

too bad it's all about promotion.  10 percent of oscar nominations (imo) are soley based on talent and the other 90 percent is based on promotion and box office success.....  and the box office almost always wins in the end.  that's hollywood and so called indie films suck!!!

ps
damn!  i'm so anti-hollywood and so called indie filmmakers!!!  viva la backyard and art house filmmakers!!  wonderful, beautiful art house filmmakers.  god bless us, common people!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

ElPandaRoyal

I wanted Tim Burton in there.
Si

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: kotte...a nomination should be a product of talent, not promotion.
The only issue there, of course, is that Minghella has the talent and should have been nominated.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

kotte

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: kotte...a nomination should be a product of talent, not promotion.
The only issue there, of course, is that Minghella has the talent and should have been nominated.

I'm not attacking him...The thought of Harvey chewing his arm off thinking

"Fuck! How could the 3 billion dollars we paid to promote Cold Mountain not pay off???"

makes me warm and happy inside. :)

Alethia

gary ross is a good director, but why the fuck is he getting the nomination for seabiscuit?  well - i know WHY, but it sucks.....not that seabiscuit was bad or anything, it was okay......but y'know

mutinyco

It's about what I figured. Gary Ross was a surprise. And I'm glad that Mountain was avoided.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

soixante

Miramax didn't invent the promotion process for winning Oscars -- long before Miramax came along, the major studios promoted the hell out of any and every film imaginable (example -- For Your Consideration ads for Gene Wilder for Best Actor in Stir Crazy).  Miramax has merely mastered the game.  They happen to make better movies than the major studios, taking source material from Pulitzer Prize winning and National Book Award winning source material, and from great plays, then hire playwrights, not hack scriptwriters, to shape the material, and get the best directors and best actors to bring the material to life.  If the major studios want to get more Oscar nominations, they should make better films.
Music is your best entertainment value.